Rims Pump / Keg Photo's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I am thinking (wishing?) about a RIMS system when i set mine up next time around i have a Keg, and HTL and may use my curent bucket mash tun.

Is there any where in melb etc to get a pump (mag drive) to suit at a avg price?

what is a avg price :blink:

Go to Process Pumps (I think maybe, www.processpumps.com.au) anyway check out this thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=1095&hl=pumps

Batz bought one of these and I also have a friend with one. I don't think you can find the actually model (see thread) on their website. Anyway best of luck.

Cheers, JD

Edit: I noticed your post on Craftbrewer also. For cutting the top out of a keg you really can't go past the 4" angle grinder (I used a $20 one) with a couple of very thin cutting discs. The actual make and product number of the disc escapes me (I will look tonight) but they are only about 2mm thick (not the ones you find about the place everywhere like Bunnings, these are too thick and slow). Go to a proper trade place and get the thin ones, costs about $2.25 and I used about a 1/4 of one for two kegs. Took 10 mins per keg. They just cut like a hot knife through butter. Unbelievable and with a beautiful clean cut, it takes little to clean up.

Ben,
I have a March mag drive pump , it's the ducks nutz of pumps for a RIMS system , still it will set you back $247.

A cheaper idea is to go for a washing machine pump , pumps hot water no worries , this was my first idea and I set one up as a trial.

I am think it would work OK , I went to a washing machine repair guy who was happy to give me a secondhand one,

Since this I have seen a bloke on ebay , he sells new ones for $45 , they are a universial model and come with a selection of impeller housings.
This would be handy as you could select you inlet/outlet diameters.

Anyhow here's a pic of my pump , good luck with it

Cheers Batz

*drool* the price hurts though :)

The washing machine pump wont be mag drive and hence not as clean??

Thanks for the tip on the Keg opening i forgot to add that tot he post :)

I have a mate with a plasma cutter :) maybe he could help... prob use the angle grinder though.

Did you cut yours to the "rim" or edge eg the biggest opening or leave something to sit a "lid" on???

I guess the wort chiller coil will dictate this

Ben,
The impeller housing just unclips from a washing machine pump , easy azz to clean

Your choice , I you have a couple of hundred you can spare go for the March pump of course

will the shaft / seals / lub react in the beer, the thing with the mag pump is it eliminates all this???

If it will work i will try the washin machine pump first if i can find one

Shaft is stainless , seals , impeller are plastic , they won't react with the beer at all , you will find may people using washing machine pumps , theres a link to a site on here someplace showing them in place.
Anyway up to you , you know how I went

Cheers Batz

i am worried about the wort and the "seals" though and lub for the shaft or barrings etc

hence why you went mag drive pump. I might just save for the pump but may be worth trying when setting out the system

Ben said:
will the shaft / seals / lub react in the beer, the thing with the mag pump is it eliminates all this???

If it will work i will try the washin machine pump first if i can find one
Ben

Graeme Sunders has recomended and has used and incra Fountain pump for 5 years with no problems.

The model has seperate inlet and outlet fittings that you can specify - i went for 1/2 inch in and out.

Cost was under 60.00..... :D

Let me know if you want anymore info...

where can i buy one?
:)
Melbourne?
I remember long time ago reading his artical, he keeps it in water to keep it cool i think

Just on the keg cutting thing ben. I drew a circle on the top using the coupling as the centre of my string protractor, and then cut my keg out to about 2-2.5" from the edge leaving a lip for a lid. Obviously your chiller will dictate size restrictions but also consider using a comercial lid for your kettle and cut the size accordingly. Looks very professional then.

JD

thanks JD will take pics when done.

secondly will the BBQ galore style burners work ok for heating? 3 ring or am i looking for anything special?

Ben said:
where can i buy one?
:)
Melbourne?
I remember long time ago reading his artical, he keeps it in water to keep it cool i think
Ben

I bought mine from creative Fountains in Adelaide.

Here are the specs....

IDRA N3680

Centrifugal Pump 1300L/H
306GPH USA

2 year warranty.
Has seperate inlet outlet.

Hope this helps.

On burners. The three ring cast iron ones work fine, actually excellent in my opinion. However, if your in Melbounre go to an army surplus store to buy one, BBQ's Galore are a fair bit dearer. I think off memory there are a number of surplus stores on Elizabeth St in the city (same street as all the motorbike shops), I'm sure you could find one cheaper there. When I was over there I found a three ring burner in one of the stores for $35, the average is about $45 though.

Burner_resized__small_.jpg

Ken i found the place you bought it from on the web but cant find a listing for this pump. is IDRA the brand?

i fired off some e-mails to people in melb to see if there is any luck. Other wise i will order it in from SA

I think the manufacturer is Sicce (Italian) the model name is Idra....

I can get one shipped to Perth from ADelaide for about $70.... but I think I'll bight the bullet and get a March from the states for $155 US + shipping etc

Back