Refractometer Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to a refractometer bought a rsg 32ATC problem is I think it's broken my 2 old hydrometers are reading 1012 but Mister Refracto is reading 1024. It's been calibrated but I'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or it's cactus.
Cheers.

I've just upgraded to a refractometer bought a rsg 32ATC problem is I think it's broken my 2 old hydrometers are reading 1012 but Mister Refracto is reading 1024. It's been calibrated but I'm not sure if it's me doing something wrong or it's cactus.
Cheers.

Is it reading zero with water? And are you using the refractometer on fermented wort? I think you have to do some special calculations for fermented wort

Have you made sure there are no air bubbles between the lens and the plate ?

Hang on, did you say 'fermented out wort' - as in finished ? They aren't designed for that, due to the weight of alcohol. There may be a correction table, but really their best use in the brewhouse is for measuring SG pre-boil & post boil. That could be your problem.

Ok, already linked to by MaltyHops.

Ok, already linked to by MaltyHops.
Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't know alcohol changed refractometers readings. Maltys link was on the money
at 1024 = 1010 I didn't have it for my start so the SG was never known by refracto. Hydro SG was 1046.

Latest posts

Back