Red Oak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domfergo

Reaction score
Gday All

Heading east to the big smoke on the weekend to see my brother and his family. I am looking for a brotherley bonding session.

I was wondering if anyone has been to the Red Oak Beer Appreciation Class, Is it worth it or should we visit and just eat and drink what we want???

Link

$75 does not seem to bad with 4 course's and beer

Any thoughts???

Cheers Mass

Gday All

Heading east to the big smoke on the weekend to see my brother and his family. I am looking for a brotherley bonding session.

I was wondering if anyone has been to the Red Oak Beer Appreciation Class, Is it worth it or should we visit and just eat and drink what we want???

Link

$75 does not seem to bad with 4 course's and beer

Any thoughts???

Cheers Mass

G'Day Mass,

I was given a booking for a mate and I (by SWMBO) for Christmas. Had a great time. Simon, Janet and David are doing a great job of helping people increase their appreciation of fine beers. The food is 5 star in my opinion.

Make sure you stay around afterwards chat with others that have been on the dinner and sample some beers that are not a part of the course. ie David's - award winning - Old Baltic Porter.

MD

so i am guessing that its more of a good night out rather then something informative???

so i am guessing that its more of a good night out rather then something informative???
We're booked in for this Saturday Night to find out wether its the goods. So maybe we'll see you there.

Cheers

You are right, its probably more of a night out than something informative. Well... for a brewer anyway. Your average draught drinker would learn a thing or two I imagine. You do have access to the brewer though and he sticks around for long enough after his "bit" so that you can quizz him if you feel so inclined.

Beer and food were both excellent. Not cheap, but also not bad value for what you get. I have paid more for just a meal at that standard, let alone a meal with matched beers and commentary from the brewer.

Well worth it IMHO

Thirsty

Did one quite a few years ago with the girlfriend. Was $65 each from memory...probably uped the price by the sounds.

Reasonably good value considering how much they charge for beers anyway.
A tap beer (honey ale i think?) before the class, 4 beers with 4 matching (small) dishes, and a tap beer of choice afterwards.
Not sure if they still do it like that, but it seemed worth it at the time. Also got a chance to throw a few questions at David out of left field...like "Ever considered brewing a lambic?", to which he replied "Not sure that the airbourne bacteria around here are up to scratch", and we both had a good old laugh with everyone else looking a bit confused.

Hey Mass,

I did one as a starter to a bucks night (before everyone got too stupid) a couple of months ago and we had a great time.

The food was great.
The beers were great.
The Brewer (Simon ?) was really really good, held the audience, was great to have a chat with later on and obviously had heaps and heaps of knowledge and experience.
I didn't really get much from the Sommelier (David?) though. He spoke in a monotone voice and without Simon's obvious passion just didn't hold the attention of the crowd. He probably has a who stack of information to give, but overall it just didn't come out very effectively.

All in all though, at the price I thought it was money well spent. I certainly intend to go back, but next time I will just have a few of their beer / food matching plates.

Cheers
OSF

Other way around with those names OSF....
David is the Brewer, Simon could be classed as monotone.?

hmmm... interesting - was considering this as well for might recent trip to sydney - i think i'll give it a crack....

jimmy

We had a great time at Red Oak. The food was sensational and the beer.... well their awards speak of the quality, to which I attest. Every beer was superb, starting withthe kolsch style right through to the porter with desert. I reccomend this for a night out. However, for BEER INFORMATION, the information part of the evening is NOT for the AussieHomeBrewer, unless you haven't read any of the Palmer/daniels books and want to learn about beer history. great value for money - you could not find the food and beer standard anywhere else in Sydney, or (unqualified comment) Australia.

DS

Latest posts

Back