Reculturing Mountain Goat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had hightale for the first time on the weekend - bought some for me and the old man to sink. real english flavours in it with malt predominant. suprised me as how english ale it tasted. Cant comment as to whether it is differant from then old stuff. I thought I could identify cascade. maybe my taste is off cause I also had a hobgobblin last night and didnt think much of it. tasted a little weak with no real hop flavour.

I think i like theGoat PA better than hightale. both are infinately better than megaswill of course!

thirstyboy well yes i have only ever had hightail about 10-15 times in the last few years so you must have a better idea of its variability.. the best one i had was when i was in melbourne at the royston just round the corner, and i have had some pretty stale versions in the bottle up here. out of the bottled beers we get from MG up here, i find all of them pretty bland and flabby, and the only one i had any time for was the hightail, and only because it had a bit of english esteriness.

i just like the flavour of english yeast better than chico and there are so few australian micros that make a pale ale with really good yeast character (strange virtually nobody has managed to get close to coopers on that). still i guess the fruitiness you get from cascade works better with clean yeast.

maybe my taste is off cause I also had a hobgobblin last night and didnt think much of it. tasted a little weak with no real hop flavour.
your taste is right on!

We had the hightail on tap, and I would have sworn it was an English yeast and English hops. Just goes to show you, when you know what you're doing you can make a great beer with almost whatever ingredients, provided they're qualiy.
MFS.

We had the hightail on tap, and I would have sworn it was an English yeast and English hops. Just goes to show you, when you know what you're doing you can make a great beer with almost whatever ingredients, provided they're qualiy.
MFS.
Hey MFS,

Remaining slightly OT, did they give any more details about where they source their hops from? Is it Tassie, NZ or US Cascade?
Hutch.

Hi Hutch,
US cascade. I made the comment that NZ cascade tastes a lot more like its ancestor Fuggle, but they insisted they use US cascade.

Hey MFS,

Remaining slightly OT, did they give any more details about where they source their hops from? Is it Tassie, NZ or US Cascade?
Hutch.

Hutch,

Check my post #26 about the Hops

Rook

G'day Rook,

Did the brewer happen to mention what the exact hops were in the Pale Ale? I know they are a hallertau-derivitive, but do you know the exact variety?

Cheers,

TD

thirstyboy well yes i have only ever had hightail about 10-15 times in the last few years so you must have a better idea of its variability.. the best one i had was when i was in melbourne at the royston just round the corner, and i have had some pretty stale versions in the bottle up here. out of the bottled beers we get from MG up here, i find all of them pretty bland and flabby, and the only one i had any time for was the hightail, and only because it had a bit of english esteriness.

i just like the flavour of english yeast better than chico and there are so few australian micros that make a pale ale with really good yeast character (strange virtually nobody has managed to get close to coopers on that). still i guess the fruitiness you get from cascade works better with clean yeast.

Hey Neon,

I just re-read my last post it it came across a lot ruder to you than was my intention. I was going for "bit of a smartarse" and I ended up achieving "complete smartarse" status instead. Sorry about that.

You are right, MG at the Royston is probably as good as it gets outside of the brewery itself; and I'm just not a fan of goat in the bottle, doesn't make the transition well at all.

I too wish that the Chico was a little less pervasive and there was some more real english action going on..... Three Ravens is doing the best that I can think of. Try their Bronze on hand-pump at the Lambsgo bar in Collingwood. Flat warm drinking heaven!!

Actually, to get back on topic... if I were going to re-culture a local yeast, I'd probably be thinking more towards the Ravens than the Goat. They do filter and re-pitch, so there isn't a lot of yeast in the bottle, but I think they do it with the original strain so it should certainly be possible to get a culture going. Not sure... anyone know??

Or you could just go to Thornbury and ask nicely - last time I was there they offered to give me a bucket of yeast to take home with me. Nice guys.

Cheers

Thirsty

Latest posts

Back