Reculturing Mountain Goat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
Hey all

Have a bottle of Mountain Goat IPA and a thought has occured to me. It's bottle conditioned has anybody tried reculturing the yeast?

Did a search but didn't come up with a wealth of answers.

Is it worth it? :icon_chickcheers:

Warren -

Havn't done it but i presum its the same as doing any other yeast. As for what yeast it is i have no idea. Is it the hightail, pale?

Cheers.

I've a bottle of Hightail and a bottle of IPA. Not sure if they're the same yeasts. I'd been led to believe that Hightail is Wyeast 1028... Just not sure if they filter and re-seed with a better floccing lager strain as a lot of other brewers do.

Warren -

Bugger.

I thought more may have tried this... Appears I'm wrong. :(

Might as well culture it and sample the starter. Should know what I'm dealing with then.

Warren -

Bugger.

I thought more may have tried this... Appears I'm wrong. :(

Might as well culture it and sample the starter. Should know what I'm dealing with then.

Warren -

Wazza,

Send them an email, when i met them ( Dave and Cam ) last year they were very helpful and passed on what hops they used in each beer so i can't see why they wouldn't tell you what yeast they use.

Rook

Hey all

Have a bottle of Mountain Goat IPA and a thought has occured to me. It's bottle conditioned has anybody tried reculturing the yeast?

Did a search but didn't come up with a wealth of answers.

Is it worth it? :icon_chickcheers:

Warren -

Did you like this beer? I bought some for Oz day this year. Was so embarresed as it spewed out constatly after opening. DID NOT like the taste either. 1st and only try. May have had a bad batch and/or it definitely doesnt like travelling... :icon_vomit:

Wazza,

Send them an email, when i met them ( Dave and Cam ) last year they were very helpful and passed on what hops they used in each beer so i can't see why they wouldn't tell you what yeast they use.

Rook

Hard to sort of question them and not sound light a tight-arsed homebrewer all the same. I know that Hightail's yeast is Wyeast 1028. Just seems a bit forward asking if it's the right yeast because I want to pinch it for my own beer. :lol:

My concern is they may filter and re-seed to achieve a better sediment in the bottle. Many micros do.

Warren -

Warren, I know Johnno went down there a few years back and they gave him about 5 litres of yeast cake, and IIRC said at the time it was Wyeast 1028. Worth a try.

Probably no comfort as I don't know for sure, but you'd have to suspect pretty strongly that if they used 1028 in Hightail then they'd use the same in the IPA. May not be as perfectly suited to an IPA as other yeasts, but you could do a lot worse.

So I take it you're a fan of the IPA then Warren, if you're looking to reculture the yeast. I've always liked mountain goat beers but as has been mentioned already in this thread, their bottling quality control leaves A LOT to be desired. More often than not they have been way overcarbonated. Some have been so bad they've bordered on being gushers. In fact I think only once have I had any where I've thought it was as it should be. Shame because its great beer. The pale ale is one of my favourites - the bottling problem just seems to detract from all the good aspects.

Probably no comfort as I don't know for sure, but you'd have to suspect pretty strongly that if they used 1028 in Hightail then they'd use the same in the IPA. May not be as perfectly suited to an IPA as other yeasts, but you could do a lot worse.

So I take it you're a fan of the IPA then Warren, if you're looking to reculture the yeast. I've always liked mountain goat beers but as has been mentioned already in this thread, their bottling quality control leaves A LOT to be desired. More often than not they have been way overcarbonated. Some have been so bad they've bordered on being gushers. In fact I think only once have I had any where I've thought it was as it should be. Shame because its great beer. The pale ale is one of my favourites - the bottling problem just seems to detract from all the good aspects.

T.D.

Saw the IPA and having not tried it and being curious decided to grab one. Thought I'd get a Hightail with the view to reculturing the yeast with the belief of it being Wyeast 1028.

Also tried Temple Saison yesterday as well. What a lovely drop. I dare say the yeast could be scavenged there too. :)

Rob... I sent them a question through the link you sent me.

Warren -

I recultured 1028 from 2 stubbies of hightail a couple of years back.
took about a week to fire up as a starter. Primary ferment threw a lot of sulphur that had me suspicious about it being a lager strain.In hindsight I think that it was due to the starter being on the lean side cell wise and a bit of stress on the critters.Resultant beer was fine after a long conditioning(12 weeks) that saw the sulphur fade.I did collect some slurry(from primary) with the intention of washing and re-using but the early tastings of the beer and the time it took to"come good" made me leery and led to me tossing the culture out.

maybe make up a hopped starter with some wort from your next brew and taste it before pitching, to be on the safe side.

L.T.

I know they do (or at least did) use dried US56 in at least one of their beers... It seems a pretty solid consensus that the hightail is done with 1028, so if I had to pick a suspect it would be their pale or the IPA... might not be wort the bother if what you end up with is just U56.

wow this is freaky cos recently i was thinking of culturing mountain goat pale ale which i was told used a british strain and then saw the temple saison at G&G. cultured the temple's saison easily only took 1 day to have a big puddle of yeast at the bottom of the jar.

Now I'm thinking of combining that yeast with us-56 too get hints of saison flavour but not a full on saison flavour as I'm looking for a sessional beer. Does anyone recommend/ disagree with this as i have Nooo idea?

But in regards to the topic temple's beers culture well and if your looking for an english ale i recommend their E.S.B available at G&G

now thats a good idea.... I DO like the Temple saison and I've been meaning to brew one

sorry (a little) for OT...
Anyone seen the temple saison up in sydney.?

sorry (a little) for OT...
Anyone seen the temple saison up in sydney.?

i have only ever seen it in melbourne... a tasty beer too, but not hoppy enough for my liking. tastes like the dupont yeast. they have it at cloudwine http://www.cloudwine.com.au/ and you can do single bottle orders, but might as well get the proper dupont if you're going to do that. better still just brew your own saison!

The guys came down for our H.O.P.S. meet two weeks ago.
Dry yeast in all of their beers. Safale US-05 on the hightail ale. Funnily enough Cascade hops on this one.
Didn't ask about the IPA but why'd you use a different one?

Reculturing seems not worth the effort.

MFS.

I recultured some Cooper's yeast a fortnight ago now, put the brew down last week and it's coming along swimmingly. Tastes great and the reculturing was pretty straightforward, but the proof will be in the pudding.

When I fed the yeast the second time, after 4 days sitting in wort they were fizzing like an atom bomb :D

[edited to add] I used this method.

The guys came down for our H.O.P.S. meet two weeks ago.
Dry yeast in all of their beers. Safale US-05 on the hightail ale. Funnily enough Cascade hops on this one.
Didn't ask about the IPA but why'd you use a different one?

Reculturing seems not worth the effort.

MFS.
Presume you're talking about the Goat Army folk here - US-05? Affraid you were told porkies - they use 1028 in the Hightail. And cascade? Ummm... :huh:
...Perhaps you're mistaking the Pale Ale? This is reputedly brewed with a US Ale yeast, and would likely use Cascade.

Back