Recommended Cleaners And Sanatisers For Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptar

Reaction score
G'day, ive recently started brewing my own beer in kegs. I've gone through all the work with bottling and raised the bar a little for myself. I was looking at a tutorial on youtube about how to rinse, clean and sanatise your keg. And the guy on the video uses a product by the name of Star San to sanatise his equipment. I've looked it up and it contains a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. I would like to know what kind of cleaners and sanatisers other fellow keggers use and where to buy them because im looking for a cheap method of doing this rather than the small expensive bottle alternatives.

Lots of info on this site, try a search. The google search works a little better than the forums own search engine.

Lots of people using lots of different products. I think the only ones to stay away from are the bleach based solutions, they can pit the stainless if left in contact for extended periods.

The small bottles of sanitiser may look expensive, but say with Iodophor you only use 1mL per litre. I splash the stuff around all over the place and it's been better than a year since I last bought some (1L bottle).

Lots of info on this site, try a search. The google search works a little better than the forums own search engine.

Lots of people using lots of different products. I think the only ones to stay away from are the bleach based solutions, they can pit the stainless if left in contact for extended periods.

The small bottles of sanitiser may look expensive, but say with Iodophor you only use 1mL per litre. I splash the stuff around all over the place and it's been better than a year since I last bought some (1L bottle).

I agree. My last 250ml of Iodophor has lasted me over a year, it's bloody cheap. As for cleaning, I use the standard keg and line cleaner from NDBrwewing. It's always reliable and does the double job of cleaning lines.

Shoot me, but I don't generally sanitise my kegs prior to filling them - I've never had an issue with infection. I always clean them properly and purge air with Co2 when I store beer in them, but don't sanitise them to fill.

Cheers - Mike

thanks for all your comments. The youtube tutorial i found has this guy who rinses, cleans and sanatises the keg quite profusely. view if you want to; i found it quite interesting.

Kegging 1 0f 4:
Kegging 2 0f 4:
Kegging 3 0f 4:
Kegging 4 0f 4:

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice he doesn't sanitise the gas disconnect. Does anyone do this?

I notice he doesn't sanitise the gas disconnect. Does anyone do this?

I sanitise the gas in fitting all the time. Not sure if it is overkill, but I feel better by doing it.

Back