Recommendations For A 20l Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in trying no-chill so I'd like to get a 20L cube. I live in inner SE Melbourne (East St Kilda). Just wondering what people recommend?

Cheers,

Chris

Rays Outdoors do 25L cubes for $15 and 20L cubes for $12. Mine have been great.

Rays Outdoors seems to be a fair way out (other than the one in the city) - any inner suburban places worth trying?

Bunnings isnt bad, bit pricier then the rays ones by the sound sof it but bunnings are pretty much everywhere. The ones I was looking at I may be able to fit 4 20l cubes in the fridge :D

Aussie Disposals is where I get mine, I think my last one was $13ish retail

I have 2 blue willows... i won't be using them again as no chill cubes as i've had problems with them holding a seal. Deburred the threads and all... when i tighten the lid it gets to a point then skips the thread and lets air in. Needless to say not very happy. :angry: In my experience fine for lagering/conditioning or fermenting in though.

next cubes i buy will be full of wort from Ross's place.

Hi,

I'm interested in trying no-chill so I'd like to get a 20L cube. I live in inner SE Melbourne (East St Kilda). Just wondering what people recommend?

Cheers,

Chris

Like michael-aussie says, get a cube and a brew.

Ross currently has some special deals on delivery of fresh kits to Melbourne:

Freight to Melbourne.
1 kit = $16
2 kits = $9 each
3 kits = $7 each
4 kits = $6 each
5 kits = $5 each

Unfortunately CB site seems to be down. I was about to order an FWK - hopefully it's back up soon.

You can get the Willow 23L from Kmart as well.

I had the same problem with the lids jumping as well... but if you just screw the lid till just before it jumps it seems to be fine, and once the plastic cools there is no problem.

I've now got a stack of the 17L cubes, with my 50L pot I get two of those out of the pot, and with post-boil dilution I can do double batches.

I would have trouble filling 2 x 20L cubes.

The 23L works well for a single batch, but I do keg sized batches anyway

ask a local restaurant if they have any empty ones, dishwashing liquid comes in them so they are clean already just need a good rinse
ive got a few out of bins in loading docks, i see them all the time [im a delivery driver for small company find all kinds of cool things]

Just so I can put some more light on the situation can someone please send me the link to cube/no chilling.
I aint got a clue what it is.......

Cheers

Parko

I buy nay cubes from Cheltenham (crown concepts I think it's called) there $6 for a 20 ltr's so I bought lots.

for Globalbrewing just search for no chill.

Just so I can put some more light on the situation can someone please send me the link to cube/no chilling.
I aint got a clue what it is.......

Cheers

Parko

Dead simple and works beautifully.
With an all grain brew, instead of running the boiling wort through a chiller, you run it into a sanitized plastic cube, close tightly, and allow to cool naturally - with a bit of help from the fridge the next morning - and then pour into fermenter, oxygenating as you go, and pitch yeast.

The willow brand cubes are about $25 and hold approx 23 L and the more squat cubes from the likes of Craftbrewer can be had free out of bins or bought for around $16 and hold around 21 L so both ideal sizes for the lengths that we brew.
willow_can.jpgCB_cube.jpg

The wort will stay sterile in the cube for months if necessary - like a jar of home made jam or pickles - so you can brew several worts and store them away for future use. I normally pitch the next day but as it happens I have a cube of Aussie Pale Ale sitting there for about a month now, waiting for me to get off bum and culture up some Coopers out of the bottle.

Because the wort stays hot longer than "crash" chilling there can be a loss of hop aroma so many if not most "no chillers" do late hopping into the fermenter to boost the hops back up.

Thank you for your replies i knew the brewing comminity would come to the rescue again.

Cheers once again.

Parko

Seeing some free cubes up in Brissie reminded me to get some.
Do the taps out of the standard fermenters fit the cubes you can pick up at Ray's, Kmart, etc?

Latest posts

Back