Recommend stouts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
Just started to take a liking to stouts. Looking for some recommendations for some decent stouts to try. Live close to uncle dans so anything they might stock. Thanks.

Dans generally have a decent range of stouts. My recommendations would be 4 pines stout, Lil' creatures Return of the dread, coopers and Guinness export stout and sierra nevada stout. You can get the guinness draft in a can but it's lacks a lot of flavour in comparison to the export version but it depends on what you like in a stout. At the moment, the little creatures would be my pick of the bunch

A second for Little Creatures 'Return of the Dread'. Coopers 'Foreign Export Stout' is another underrated local stout. Unfortunately Mountain Goat's normally amazing 'Surefoot Stout' has turned to rubbish. Used to be one of my seasonal favourites.

I had a very nice stout on the weekend, Panhead's 'Oak Stout' - it was awesome.

If you're getting into roast beers, make sure you try Founder's Porter. The most amazing Porter or Stout that I've ever had.

Cascade stout is quite a good beer. Agree regarding Coopers, I'll buy a longneck every other month (plus the bottle's handy). I quite enjoy the Guinness in the tin - imported - and is far better than the locally brewed version.
Abbortsford Invalid Stout is the best offering out of CUB if you're a Vic local. Grand Ridge's Hatlifter is very similar but not as good value.
And finally - Sheaf.

Ill agree with all above suggestions. .....except I'll say the opposite to the first reply about guiness. Go the widget cans everytime. All the local brewed bottled guiness stuff is terribly craptacular IMHO. Murphys in the cans is nice too.

Sheaf stout is actually a pretty nice beer.

Main differnce I look for in flavour is the level and character of roast tastes and aromss.....body.......then the level of sweetness.

Guinness 101

There are three versions of Guinness available in Australia, which often causes confusion even among forum members here.

1. The pub version on tap is 4.3% ABV and brewed at Yatala from local ingredients plus the Guinness "syrup" imported from Ireland. It's quite forgettable.
  2. The cans with the widget are about the same strength and imported from Ireland, using all Irish ingredients. Still fairly bland but a bit more going for it than the local tap version.
  3. The bottled Australian Guinness is 6% ABV and is a "Foreign Extra Stout" version. Quite smooth and strong, nothing to do with the other two listed above.

Sheaf Stout is only available in NSW as far as I know, it's glorious. If anything I prefer it to the Coopers.

Im tucking into a coopers best extra stout, nice snd roasty with a solid bitterness, good stuff.

I did drink quite a lot of Guinness when overseas and really enjoyed it but whenever I try it here am always really disappointed. Cheers for the advice. Will give me something to do tomorrow night.

Bribie G said:
Guinness 101

There are three versions of Guinness available in Australia, which often causes confusion even among forum members here.

1. The pub version on tap is 4.3% ABV and brewed at Yatala from local ingredients plus the Guinness "syrup" imported from Ireland. It's quite forgettable.
  2. The cans with the widget are about the same strength and imported from Ireland, using all Irish ingredients. Still fairly bland but a bit more going for it than the local tap version.
  3. The bottled Australian Guinness is 6% ABV and is a "Foreign Extra Stout" version. Quite smooth and strong, nothing to do with the other two listed above.

Sheaf Stout is only available in NSW as far as I know, it's glorious. If anything I prefer it to the Coopers.
Thanks for that.

My drink at home dry stout preference is. Murphys or guiness in can, (cant underestimate the awesomwness of the widget), Sheaf stout....4 pines stout. All my other faves dip into other styles.

Best one i ever had was a milk stout..... either Elsie from Batch brewing - or a milk stout from illawarra brewing. Both were awesomely awesome..... but it had been a long night.

Bribie G said:
Guinness 101

• The pub version on tap is 4.3% ABV and brewed at Yatala from local ingredients plus the Guinness "syrup" imported from Ireland. It's quite forgettable.
  • The cans with the widget are about the same strength and imported from Ireland, using all Irish ingredients. Still fairly bland but a bit more going for it than the local tap version.
  • The bottled Australian Guinness is 6% ABV and is a "Foreign Extra Stout" version. Quite smooth and strong, nothing to do with the other two listed above.

Agree with all of the above except 1 as my first taste of Guiness on tap in Australia still haunts me almost 20 years later. Hands down the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth

Coopers, moobrew seasonal, sam smiths oatmeal and imperial, abbotsford invalid if you like rough and ready.

St peters milk is one of the better ones in their range.

Fullers black cab

8-Wired iStout and Founders Imperial Stout are among the best versions of Imperial Stouts I've had in a spate of research lately. The Founders is, quite simply, extraordinary.

Founders breakfast stout too. So good.

Batch Brewing's 'Elsie the Milk Stout'
Exit Brewing's Milk Stout

If you can get your hands on these:
Emelisse Creme Brulee Stout.
Emelisse Imperial Russian Stout aged in Maker's Mark Barrels (I wasn't a fan of their regular Russian Imperial Stout, but this aged in bourbon barrel version was great).
(Emelisse is a Dutch brewery. Oak Barrel in Sydney stocks their stuff).

I'm a fan of sheaf myself but since I started brewing I don't buy stouts to often because its so much easier to brew a robust stout yourself that tastes just as good if not better.

Red Hill Imperial is a gift from the gods.

TheBigD said:
I'm a fan of sheaf myself but since I started brewing I don't buy stouts to often because its so much easier to brew a robust stout yourself that tastes just as good if not better.
Yeah I agree, Stouts are very forgiving.

Back