Recommend stouts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheBigD said:
I'm a fan of sheaf myself but since I started brewing I don't buy stouts to often because its so much easier to brew a robust stout yourself that tastes just as good if not better.
I really would like to try one of these stouts that us better than a Sheaf...

Bribie G said:
Guinness 101
  1. The bottled Australian Guinness is 6% ABV and is a "Foreign Extra Stout" version. Quite smooth and strong, nothing to do with the other two listed above.
I haven't had a bottled Guinness for a while Bribe, I usually buy Coopers but I think you will find that the bottled stout here is Foreign Stout not Foreign Extra Stout if we could get that here I wouldn't be brewing my own.

wide eyed and legless said:
I haven't had a bottled Guinness for a while Bribe, I usually buy Coopers but I think you will find that the bottled stout here is Foreign Stout not Foreign Extra Stout if we could get that here I wouldn't be brewing my own.
It's brewed at Yatala as well as the weaker tap brew , they don't call it FES as such, I used the name as a reference to the BJCP style where it fits in quite well. As you say there is an "official" FES brewed in Dublin for export and that's something I'd like to try but I guess it's destined for other places like Russia or Sweden or whatever.

It probably doesnt quite make it into stout territory....technically more of a black IPA, but Feral's Karma Citra is one of the best beers I've had in quite a while

Ill definately 2nd coopers as well

Bribie G said:
It's brewed at Yatala as well as the weaker tap brew , they don't call it FES as such, I used the name as a reference to the BJCP style where it fits in quite well. As you say there is an "official" FES brewed in Dublin for export and that's something I'd like to try but I guess it's destined for other places like Russia or Sweden or whatever.
Bribie I can't believe that you haven't had a bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra stout, did you drink stout back in the UK or just the Geordie beers, even today I went into a bottle shop in Moorabbin to ask if they could get it, alas no.
But we never know, "When the boat comes in" my Bonnie lad.

Sheaf Stout is my goto Stout. I find it better ( in a different way ) to Coopers.

Getting a bit harder to get now and they only sell it in longnecks now.

Coopers Stout with fresh ground pepper on he head is one of lifes little pleasures :chug:

Latest posts

Back