Recommend a 4 way CO2 manifold?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd post that I've been using the 4-way manifold from cheeky peak and I haven't had any issues. It wasn't too hard to get the 4mm ID line on the barbs and it seems to be holding pressure just fine (regulator set to 12psi).

Yeah i think any would work ok. I just got unlucky with an older model/dodgey valve. I could have bought a new one but in the end i thought i try and make my own just for the hell of it. Hopefully ill get one thats better and cheaper.

I took one of the other style valves appart to see if i could put a push in fitting and i noticed that it didnt seem very well sealed. It could explain the leak. With a bit of mucking around and some sealant i could probably fix my old one. More interested in the new one for now though.

I finally got around to testing the manifold. I didn't test it with the gas lines attached so I guess its not a full test but so far it works. Or at least the ball valves work. At first one of them was leaking so I was going to replace it with a spare. I went to take out the push in fitting but the bit of the valve that holds in the ball bit started screwing out too. So I screwed it back in via the push in fitting a hey presto no leaks!
I tested it with my carbing line @30psi so twice the pressure it would have to use. I should note that the $5 Bunnings Liquid thread sealant does not set. I was waiting for it to dry but after a week it had oozed down onto the bench top. I cleaned of the excess so its ok but I was a bit worried that it might develop a leak. I hope being submerged in water wont affect it and Im hoping the cold temps of the keezer will harden it up a bit. I have noticed that since replacing my shit eBay dual output reg with the Taprite dual output reg I am using hardly any gas. I was very surprised to read on hear that you should 160 or something kegs out of a 4kg bottle and I have a 6kg. I was getting refills all the time. So that could have been a source of the trouble. Loving the Taprite reg. I didnt realise you could just dial in a psi like that. I always wondered how people did it. Such a noob :D

Im working 6 days a week atm so it might be a while till I fully install it. So far so good. Whether this build is worth it or not over a bought one id say personal preference. Id do it again just for the push in fittings. They work a lot better than the JG ones. I think you can do it a little cheaper but not that much. Id have to go back and add it up.

The finished manifold

1479606011293.jpg

160 kegs sounds a bit optimistic for the CO2 though, unless you're using it for dispensing only, and not carbing or pushing cleaner around with it as well.

Mine is leaking now. Not going to bother replacing/fixing it, have a solid brass tee on the way

nosco said:
Any suggestions on a good one to buy?

Mr B said:
Well, there is a certain visual sameness between most of them, including the ebay ones.

I got a 6 way one. It doesnt leak, I tested it up to 300kpa submerged in water.

I also rate NHB, which played a factor in purchasing from them. Not sure if leaky or not is completely random, or if Martin is being very polite and correct and not saying that the ones NHB stocks may be better quality than others.

I just know that mine doesnt leak, and I told you where I got it from because I am happy with it, as that is what you asked.
We identified small number of actual manufacturers and about a dozen or so who pose as manufacturers, but in reality are distributors. There's small internal and cosmetic differences between different ones.

We'd had lots of issues with the ones coming into Aust via a distributor and went with and away from them a number of times before giving up completely due to failure rates. I believe now Krome Dispense do a reasonable one out of India, which could be an option.

& yep, I was being polite. We secured a manufacturer out of Taiwan after some trials but he failed to deliver after a while and wanted 1000 unit orders to continue with better quality. Bit out of reach for an Australian supplier. Was a shame because it was good gear.

Then there's other options like John Guest gear linked together to give a decent result and reliability, but at a price:

example pics only

JG push fit manifold.jpg

JG bsp as manifold.jpg

These should be pretty widely available I imagine.

I've just moved back to using JG connectors after a leak in a standard ball valve.

Have never had an issue with JG gear so hopefully that continues.

cliffo said:
I've just moved back to using JG connectors after a leak in a standard ball valve.
Have never had an issue with JG gear so hopefully that continues.
Fitted properly with clean cuts, no crush to the line and retainer clios, i believe they are excellent

I've also had no trouble with the JG push in fittings that I use on my disconnects, for both beer out and gas in lines. I had T-piece splitters originally which I also had no trouble with, but I'm glad I moved to a manifold mounted on the outside now. Thankfully, it doesn't leak, so it's very easy to turn on/off gas to individual kegs, and the spare 4th line I use for purging.

Latest posts

Back