RecipeDB - Willamette Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecadet

Reaction score

Willamette Amber Ale

Bitter - English Best (Special) Bitter
Kit & Kilo
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

1.7 kg of Amber is Coopers Real Ale
1.5 kg of Amber is Morgans Masterblend Caramalt
0 minute hop addition was dry hop addition added 4 days into fermentation
used half the normal priming sugar

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
1.7 kg Generic LME - Amber
1.5 kg Generic LME - Amber

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
12 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 20mins)
12 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)
12 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

11 g DCL Yeast S-04 - SafAle English Ale
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.044 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 6.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.15%
  • Colour 15 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

you think?
i really wouldnt have a clue, as it says in the recipe, first go at adding to standard kit & kilo. from stuff i've read on here, thought it sounded alright. havent tasted it yet (besides when testing the gravity) only bottled yesterday

I think Sydneybrewer might have posted while you were still adding ingredients.

You're a brave man upping a recipe before you've tasted it.

haha true, it could turn out to be a disaster!

does it sound alright going by ingredients alone? it smelt awesome and tasted ok (as far as tasting a still fermenting brew goes)

I haven't yet brewed with Willamette (pretty sure I'll use it for bittering in one of my next few beers though) nor have I used that kit but it does look good enough to me. Be sure to post up your impressions when it is ready.

Looks interesting

If you want to try a slight variation on the theme try the Black Rock Amber 1.5 Kg LME, it has a lovely toffee and caramel flavour that sits very nicely with this style of beer.

Personally I don't see the point of 3 hop additions just a good taste addition steeped/boiled for around 10-15 minutes and the dry hop should achieve the same outcome with just a touch less frigging around.

If anyone starts telling you it's too hoppy to be a "Best Bitter" (which I think it is) call it an American Amber, should be very much tilted in the direction of JS Amber Ale.

If all goes well it's going to be hard to be unhappy with this one.

MHB

have had a couple off these now and they seem to be coming along nicely. somewhere in the area of JSAA.

have had a couple off these now and they seem to be coming along nicely. somewhere in the area of JSAA.
I did one vaguely similar (Real Ale & Willamette) in the past year and they worked nicely together.
Looks like a good one.

Latest posts

Back