RecipeDB - Vienna

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Vienna

Lager - Vienna
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Yeast was 2252PC Rasenmaher Lager. 250ml slurry into 2.5 lt starter at SG 1.040, pitched at high krausen. I used a mash schedule borrowed from Zwickels blog. I rehydrated the mash at 55 degrees for 10 minutes, sacc rest @ 63 degrees for 45 minutes, Alpha rest 72 degrees @ 20 minutes and mashout 76 degrees for ten minutes. Also added brewing salts to mash to suit the style and my tank water (very soft) The ferment was at terminal gravity in 4.5 days. (actual 1.012) I raised for a D rest at SG 1.016. (72 hours) back to 9-13 degrees for a few more days and then chilled to 0 degrees over 11 days. Pitched PVPP and kegged after 24 hours. Force carbed and sampled after 24 hours.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg Weyermann Vienna
3.5 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.15 kg Weyermann Carafa Special I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
80 g Styrian Goldings (Pellet, 5.4AA%, 40mins)
60 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
10 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 70mins)

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
40L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.045 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 43.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 3.88%
  • Colour 23 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 11 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Thanks for the recipe mate, the missus insisted we drink the second bottle with dinner last night! Thats the first home brewed beer she has admitted to enjoying and has inspired me to venture into the world of lagers.
This would be a great summer beer I rekon!
Planning this for my next batch in a couple of weeks.

The link to the recipe seems to be broken.

Had to find it the long way round but it was worth it. Been thinking about a vienna lager after judging them at SABSOSA.

Easy drinking beers. Nice looking recipe razz

I just love it when brewers discover how great some of the Lager and Pils beers can be.
Razz your recipe looks like it will be easy drinking. 4.5 days to terminal gravity , boy thats quick . :eek:
Might give your recipe ago next Vienna. I have just finished one that is now kegged, it had the carafa 1 taste as well but it is dropping off and showing signs of being a great drinker in about another 3-4 weeks.
GB

The main drawback I see in doing a lager(other than needing a ferment fridge in summer) is the yeast starter. Just reading the wyeast website then and thay mention their pack is suitable for a lager if you start the ferment at 21 to 24 degrees then drop the temp once fermentation has started. It makes sence now why razz mentioned to me to do a diacetyl rest at 75% ferment if you pitch warm.

The main drawback I see in doing a lager(other than needing a ferment fridge in summer) is the yeast starter. Just reading the wyeast website then and thay mention their pack is suitable for a lager if you start the ferment at 21 to 24 degrees then drop the temp once fermentation has started. It makes sence now why razz mentioned to me to do a diacetyl rest at 75% ferment if you pitch warm.

First lager is a pain in the arse to build up enough cells, after that it's yeastcake city and a run of the lagers! :icon_cheers:

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Vienna

Supplied a couple of bottles to Husky on Sunday morning when I picked up my grain from the bulk buy at G&G. He asked me for the recipe so check it out.
I did get a slight flavour of the cara spec 1 that I used for colour but I think that will mellow after a few more weeks of cold conditioning.

razz, what was the primary ferment temp with this yeast ?

what characteristic did you get from the yeast ?

Thanks for the comments everyone. Gryphon, I was concerned about the quick primary but the temp stayed in the 9-13 degrees range. I think I pitched at 16-18 which was the temp out of the chiller. The starter may have been slightly large but the main reason, I think, was the pitching at high krausen. Don Burke, I tried the beer after 24 hours and really get nothing from this yeast, I will have another sample this arvo, purely for reporting purposes :lol:
Sorry about the link (scratches head) Husky, thanks for the kind words I'll keep a few more bottles for the next time we catch up. MLB, the mash sched may look a bit more than usual but it would be easy to achieve with water additions.

Donburke, I'm happy to report that the sampling went well! Some toasty aroma and flavour and less/none of the carafa. I'm taking a 1.5lt Grolsch bottle of Vienna to a work xmas party this arvo. :party:
Now that the temp in the beer shed is starting to warm up I will use the slurry from this beer to make an APA at warmer ferm temps, 16-19.

Hi Razz

When you did your D-rest .... what temp did you raise it too?

cheers

5 eyes

After the D rest did you drop the temp a couple of degrees each day until you hit 0 degrees? Mine got down to 1.014 faster than expected at which point it raised it up to 16 degrees in one hit as the ferment was almost finished. After sitting there for a couple of days do I set the temp to 0 for a couple of weeks or gradually drop it?
Im thinking gradual so the yeasties dont go straight to sleep as im hoping they will clean up any diacetyl since my D rest was a bit too late. Sound right?

<cracked record> According to Jamil and Chris White in their new yeast book </cracked record> whatever temperature the yeast in the beer started working at, even though you may have cooled it during primary - that's the temperature you should, at least, go back up to for the D rest. So I suppose if you are doing subsequent brews with a heap of yeastcake and keep the temperature at say 12 degrees for the whole of primary then you would only need to go up to maybe 14 for the D rest. As opposed to higher if you started the first ferm with the original yeast at, say, 20?

After the D rest did you drop the temp a couple of degrees each day until you hit 0 degrees? Mine got down to 1.014 faster than expected at which point it raised it up to 16 degrees in one hit as the ferment was almost finished. After sitting there for a couple of days do I set the temp to 0 for a couple of weeks or gradually drop it?
Im thinking gradual so the yeasties dont go straight to sleep as im hoping they will clean up any diacetyl since my D rest was a bit too late. Sound right?

Yeah I did Husky, generally every 2-3 days I dropped it down about 4-5 degrees, mind you I didn't follow it too closely. The yeast book has a procedure for a forced diacetyl test, I did that each day until I was happy with the taste and then dropped the temp down ( I think I did three tests)

Bit of a follow up. Been in the bottle for over a month now and easily the best brew I have put down. Only down side is they have come out a little under carbed which I suspect may be because there was not enough yeasties left to eat the carb sugars although the beer does not taste sugar sweet from un eaten sugar so not exactly sure what happened there. Still an exceptionally tasty brew half carbed! Not such a problem for me but the missus likes "fizzy like coke" beers lol!

If this is the same as the bottle you gave me today Razz then it's a damn tasty drop.

Delicious.

Just curious if im reading the hop additions correctly. How long is the boil? Are you adding saaz at 70 then 60, or are they first wort additions?

Back