RecipeDB - Hanging Possum Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score

Hanging Possum Pilsner

Lager - American Premium Lager
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Melonoiden is Aromatic malt which was not in DB sorry.
Just give it a D-rest for a few days and make sure to condition it for a good 6 weeks before drinking and you wont be sorry. One of the cleanest drinkable beers iv'e ever made. I'ts the recipe out of Charlie Pappazian's book.
I did a multi step mash as follows:
56/30min
63/30
68/60
70/15
77/10

Added 15g calcium cloride and 25g calcium sulfate to boil. Also added Phos acid to get mash PH of 5.4.

OG-1.053
FG-1.011
IBU-37
SRM-4.49

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
8.84 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.92 kg TF Flaked Maize
0.46 kg Weyermann Melanoidin

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
72 g Strisslespalt (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
67 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 20mins)
48 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
33.5 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 10mins)
33.5 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 2mins)

Yeast

300 ml Wyeast Labs 2035 - American Lager
50L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.055 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 34.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 84%
  • Alcohol 5.33%
  • Colour 10 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 21 days
  • Conditioning 6 days

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Hanging Possum Pilsner

Just finished the last pint of this today. Brewing again ASAP because it's by far the best beer iv'e ever drank. Don't get me wrong I love my Ales etc etc But all im going to say is this beer is bullshit drinkable. If you want summer beer this is the one.

Just finished the last pint of this today. Brewing again ASAP because it's by far the best beer iv'e ever drank. Don't get me wrong I love my Ales etc etc But all im going to say is this beer is bullshit drinkable. If you want summer beer this is the one.

sounds and looks nice mate. can you please post the brewer's notes in this thread if you would be so kind? with all the /br /b stuff (i think it's bold print in code or something?) it's hard for me to understand! (i'm a newbie about to make my first AG brews and love a nice pilsner / lager). also, if you were to only do a single step mash, what temp would it be? or is that a personal preference?

:)

Original:
<br />56/30min<br />63/30<br />68/60<br />70/15<br />77/10<br /><br />Added 15g calcium cloride and 25g calcium sulfate to boil. Also added Phos acid to get mash PH of 5.4.<br /><br />OG-1.053<br />FG-1.011<br />IBU-37<br />SRM-4.49

Spoon fed version:
56/30min 63/30min 68/60min 70/15min 77/10min. Added 15g calcium cloride and 25g calcium sulfate to boil. Also added Phos acid to get mash PH of 5.4. OG-1.053 FG-1.011 IBU-37 SRM-4.49

not that hard, really :)

EDIT:Clarity

thank you. it's what i suspected, (i'm not a dumb ass) but the clarification helped with that.

Sorry mate I just copied and pasted it into the recipe section. Apparently br/br means the "ENTER" button. Anyway if your doing a single step infusion id'e go for 66 degrees because the maize will dry it out anyway. If you want it thinner go for an hour at 65.

Also if your just making a single batch I would recommend either using 2 or 3 packs of yeast or making a 5 L starter with 1 pack. Plenty of people on here would disagree with that but you will save your self from wondering if you could have made it better or why has it got a sickly honey taste. Just my advice. Here's to beers :icon_cheers:

She's booked in for next 50L brew. Hope the next 6 weeks goes by fast for god's sake!

IMG_0770.jpg

sounds like it might make the list. what ferment temp are you using and what temp for the D rest?

cheers for the multiple yeast tip. probably would do that anyway given my ingredients and batch size (much smaller than yours haha).

yeah, what ferment temp, 12C? D-rest at 20C? storing it for 6 weeks at ~1C? sorry if these are silly questions. it just looks like a brew that would tickle my fancy; would love to put it on the list.

Ferment it at anywhere from 7-12 degrees. I did 8 degrees for 3 weeks (thermometer on fermentor) because I was away so it probably finished before that 3 weeks. D rest around 16-18 is what I did for 3 days then lowered the temp 2 deg a day until it got to -1 degrees and left it sit for 1 week then I actually filtered it into the 50L keg and left it for 6 weeks.
It was just so good after 6 weeks. Clean and crisp!

2nd batch is in the 50L keg. Used Boh Pils yeast this time and the OG was 1048 as I was getting a shine on after a couple last batch. See how it comes out in a months time.

Back