RecipeDB - Teninch Dampfbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score

Teninch Dampfbier

Ale - Vienna
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

recipe from BYO (July-Aug 2006).
Hit 67°C mash temp. Mashout with 10 litres boiling water to achieve appropriate mash temp of 76 °C.
Hall. Mitt. added for 15 min at flame out for a nice hop aroma and flavour.
Pitched @ 20°C on 1/12, 5 daze before the NSW case sap on 6/12. Fridge set to 21°C, 24 litres of wort pitched with 1.6 litres. Bottled late on 5/12 with 150g pale DME, for the swap on 6/12.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.42 kg Weyermann Pilsner
1.5 kg Weyermann Munich I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
35 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 0mins)
21 g Pearle (Pellet, 8.0AA%, 45mins)

Yeast

1600 ml Wyeast Labs 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen
25L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.045 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 16.3 IBU
  • Efficiency 72%
  • Alcohol 4.42%
  • Colour 10 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 4 days
  • Secondary 4 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Teninch Dampfbier
I'll be brewing this again soon, as it seems to be a nice quaffer, as it's a Bavarian-style steam beer.
It's a warm fermented low-bitterness pilsner.
Prime low and drink early (and probably fast, too).
This is a peasant's ale and a make-do style, similar to the California Steam beer style, for people who could not afford refrigeration and a lot of hops, except this one uses a weizen yeast instead of a lager yeast.

I'll get back here once it's ready for tasting, but the potential is great! :beerbang:

Brewing this again tomorrow. Should be good for Summer guzzling.
Been a while since I brewed this, but got motivated again yesterday, and picked up the ingredients from the Brewman today.
Scaled up to a 40 litre batch, and W3638 (Bavarian Wheat yeast) substituted, as I'm planning another Weissbier soon, using Briess Bavarian wheat DME and maybe some Southern Cross hops.

Please follow along. Brewing notes and tasting notes to be added.

Dosen't appear to be in the recipe data base - another MIA!!!

Wobbly

Recipe is here, in the "What are you brewing II" thread. I got some good feedback in the NSW 2008 Xmas case swap here and here too and a few following posts.
Stuffed if I know what happened to my Recipe in the Database, as it was there yesterday morning.

If I recreate it, is it possible that a Moderator can merge this with the discussion topic which is auto-created?

Nice opportunity to necro a thread too.

Edit: Please try this link to the recipe Database (edit-edit: page 24 of the Ales listings, in case the link again again becomes useless), and post your comments/thoughts/wonderment. (Wobbly, your pants are on fire. Just because the search function can't find the recipe, doesn't mean that a human search cannot. QED)

I remember the first version of this one, interesting beer, sort of what you get when Germans go Farm House should be a cracker with the warmer weather coming.
Mark

MHB said:
I remember the first version of this one, interesting beer, sort of what you get when Germans go Farm House should be a cracker with the warmer weather coming.
Mark
The style is a "make-do with what you got" farmhouse/ peasant beer. What the bogans (the poorer bogans, not the cashed-up ones) would be drinking if they made an all-grain German ale.

Brewed 15/11. No-chilled. Pitched 30/11. Due to issues with fridge temp controller, this fermented at 4°C for the first week. I set the fridge back to 21°C on 5/12, but the temp only rose to 16 and then 18. On 8/12, the beer was only 40% attenuated, and 2.5%.
12/12- Refractometer says 6.0 Brix (1.009 corrected s.g). 5.1% abv 80.8% apparent attenuation
24/12 - Finally kegged and bottled. 19 litre keg, 10 litre keg and sundry 500 ml bottles.

Kegs (19l and 9l) were placed in the keg freezer and carbonated at 20 PSI overnight.

Today the beer is mid-dark gold and smells lightly hoppy, malty (in a Munich way) with some mild phenolics from the yeast, and a bit flat and under-carbed.
Flavour has Hallertau up front, with a dry malty finish and lingering but mild bitterness and malt. Too much bittering hops, but still quite balanced. Quite easy to drink.
MHB, Interested in a sample?

Sorry but, as a mate says, you don't taste the first one, as it just whets the appetite.

Sampling tonight. OK, so I filled beer jug, but it's disappearing like it was only a taster.
Results:
White creamy thick head, which fades slowly in my glass.
Colour is pale-mid gold and slightly hazy. Alluring.
Aroma has lots of fruit, mostly apples and malt, floral hops, light fruity alcohol, spicy mild cinnamon and pepper.
Biscuity malt character in the aroma comes through in the flavours.
Fruity/ malty balanced character with mild floral hop flavour with some mild peppery phenolics definitely invites you back for another sip. Just enough phenols to complement, not overwhelm the beer.
Medium body and some slickness on the palate, and then a dry, malty, biscuity, slightly bitter finish makes this a taste you want to repeat.
As the beer warms, some bready character supplements the fruit and malt.
A great balanced warm weather session ale, which is now gone. (*Don't worry - just the 3 middies, more in the keg).

Dampbier Feb 2016.jpg Edit: Pic added

Hope this entertains and educates.
Les

On the list! Be good to have this next to an Altbier on tap....

You won't regret it. I polished off a 1.2 litre glass boot full tonight, and bottled a couple of plastics (700 odd ml) for a comp and a mate at work.
When you make a good beer, you gotta share, unless it's absolutely awesome. Then tell NO-ONE!

Hey Les,

I recall discussing this one with you some time back.

Sitting here thinking.. mmm, wouldn't mind one of those. A beer style that is off centre - something different.

Thanks for the thorough commentary and tasting notes.

I don't think there are too many brewers that don't share their awesome beers. It's why we are here as Brewers.

Cheers Steve

Hi Les,

Been hot here and I have been flat out. Just cracked a beer, and was the Dampfbier you so kindly left me.

Was sipping it thinking, if the peasants were drinking this, at least they had some quality beer in their life. Really enjoyed that. Fruit, spice, some malt and all things nice. Prompted me to go look at the recipe again. Was that fermented with the 3068 Weinsptephan, starting cold?

If it was that yeast I would not have picked it. was surprised when I saw that.

Thanks again.

Cheers Steve

Brewman_ said:
Hi Les,

Been hot here and I have been flat out. Just cracked a beer, and was the Dampfbier you so kindly left me.

Was sipping it thinking, if the peasants were drinking this, at least they had some quality beer in their life. Really enjoyed that. Fruit, spice, some malt and all things nice. Prompted me to go look at the recipe again. Was that fermented with the 3068 Weinsptephan, starting cold?

If it was that yeast I would not have picked it. was surprised when I saw that.

Thanks again.

Cheers Steve
You know I favour the W3638 Bavarian Wheat yeast.
Was grateful that you allowed me to collect my grist today, and drop off those beers for the comp too.

Glad you enjoyed it. Definitely a cold start at 4°C for the first week. The yeast actually had started it's work and was sprtizy, but malty when I sampled some, so I might ferment the next Weizen with a cooler start (go back to the 30 degree rule).

*Edit: Yeah, I agree that it's a hybrid beer much more than a peasant ale. Not a nasty compromise at all.

Got some other feedback today that the Dampfbier is similar to Redback (I gave him a stubbie). Difficult to believe there's no wheat in it.

and the results are in:
1st place Specialty (Other) - Newcastle Show Homebrew Competition
Just got pipped for BOS coz no-one (judges) knew what the beer was meant to be like (they just knew it was clean/ nice).

Judged this in both the flight and in the BOS round - it was the clear winner in the flight and a very close second in the BOS. As mentioned its hard when you don't have a style descriptor to judge against, it moves the process toward the subjective, rather than the objective evaluation that most judges are trained to do.
I think it says a lot about the beer that it did as well as it did given the handicap.

Very much in the "Farmhouse" family with some interesting typical wheat beer characters, mega session-able and a beer that I might have to brew for myself in the not too distant...

Well done Les, and to the other brewers that put up some top beers
Mark

I remember going to a few Dampfbier Brewpubs while in Germany many years ago.

I remember this place: "Dampf - Das Borbecker Brauhaus" in Essen.

Drinks menu (Dampfbiers on page 2): http://www.dampfe.de/download/speisenkarten/dampfe_getraenkenkarte_englisch.pdf

And here's their takeaway bottles (to see the colour and clarity), http://www.dampfe.de/essen_und_trinken_ausser_haus.html

I'm pretty sure I also did all-you-can-eat schnitzel at this place. :ph34r:

EDIT: And yeah - I'm keen to give the recipe a try.
I'd rather keep it authentic and not do the 4C ferment start, but it sounds like you've made this a few times, Les? And that the 4C start one was easily the best Dampf you've made?

I have only made this 3 or 4 times, and the 4°C start was an accident as I had a jumble of fridge wires, after a flood, and the probe was stuck in the wrong fridge that wasn't turned on. The ferment temp is recommended to be about 25°C.

Next time I will try a start at 16°C for 2 days and increase to 24 or 25 to finish out fairly quickly. I read that the ferment usually only goes for 3 or 4 days at the Erste Dampfbier-brauerei in Zwiesel.

Was happy with the other times I made this beer. One was an NSW case swap IIRC, and I would not have started the ferment cool, back then.

Latest posts

Back