RecipeDB - Teninch Dampfbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
The style is a "make-do with what you got" farmhouse/ peasant beer. What the bogans (the poorer bogans, not the cashed-up ones) would be drinking if they made an all-grain German ale.
Keen to brew this soon and in light of the "making-do", do you think some Spalt in place of the Perle (adjusted for AA%) would fit well in this beer or would it bring too much spice/character?

I like Perle and Spalt, and in the peasant spirit can only see it being a flexible option.
I'll be happy to hear your results.

Brewing this tomorrow with Spalt! Specs nearly identical otherwise other than adjustment for efficiency :)

I tasted this beer tonight.

Fabulous, like a maltier Altbier, but overlaid with Wheat Beer yeast esters.

Easy to drink. Would be easy to drink too much of.

:chug: :kooi:

I hoped that the Brew Club would like me to bring the growler along last night.
Glad that most liked it.
I think it's on the turn, with some acetic character creeping in. That appears to be an environmental factor here in my swamp.

Brew day was smooth. Bit under gravity but bit over volume.

Smelled amazing! Great colour! Ended up with more cube hopped hallertau mit than planned but sure thats ok...

Looking very much forward to it

1458387998436.jpg

Been thinking about what yeast to throw at it, then it donned on me. I have more than one cubes worth! So main cube will get the WLP351 and the other WLP300 (cos I love the banana from that yeast). Should have this fermenting in the next fortnight :)

Just tapped my 9L keg of the batch fermented with wlp300. At bottling sample time I preferred the wlp300 less than the wlp351. But that's all out the window now with no direct comparison, what a lovely brew. The Spalt is playing extremely well with the slight banana phenolics. Colour is very pleasant 'deep' straw. Small ring of head following the liquid level.

I was going to take this to the swap along with the wlp351 batch that's in bottles as my swap beer, might be selfish and keep the 9L keg here on tap.

I'd go out on a limb and say this is THE quaffable wheat beer for the non-wheat beer drinkers out there!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1466834802.625773.jpg

I'll be making a much larger batch of this for Summer.
Wondering now, how would this fare in the NSW beer comp?

Thanks Mardoo! I just submitted the wlp351 batch in the VIC case swap, keen to get some feedback from the fellas too [emoji106]

Two thumbs up from me. Liked it so much here I am looking up the recipe.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I'd go out on a limb and say this is THE quaffable wheat beer for the non-wheat beer drinkers out there!
That's me, I haven't come across a wheat beer I like but would be happy with this on tap any day.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Thanks Mardoo! I just submitted the wlp351 batch in the VIC case swap, keen to get some feedback from the fellas too [emoji106]
Lethal, some feedback on your results would be great.

I brewed another batch recently but this time in the spirit of the original, I used no temp control. However the beer was in my under-house area (bricked in and cooler than the house as verandahs provide shade in the front and rear).

Kegged last week and hopefully ready for the next comp. This one is more banana-flavoured than previous, but the balance is still great.

* Side note: I found some links to Dampfbier and have a strong issue with Colonial Brewing stating that the style disappeared into the history books by the late 20th century, as if they're solely responsible for bringing it back. Load of BS!

Back to what's important, i was searching for a list of descriptors for my comp entry, and when I'm finished I'll happily post it here if there's any interest. A little bit of history/background and some style/flavour guides that I can locate and verify from my own brewing.

Mine's kegged and ready for drinking. Used WLP351, tettanger for bittering and hersbrucker late by memory. Once I find some space in the beer fridge it's next in line. Fortunately the cream ale is kicking goals so it can't be too far down the track.
Maybe I should enter mine alongside? ;)

Les the Weizguy said:
Lethal, some feedback on your results would be great.
I know Wiggman loved it. I loved it. The surprise of having phenolics and then a clean lager taste was something that most of the guys stated made it so interesting.

I thought the Spalt hops worked well. I'm kinda spewing that Summer is almost gone and I didn't brew another one.

Brewer tasting reviews post-case swap here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91534-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap-tasting/?p=1385801
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91534-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap-tasting/?p=1386636
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91534-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap-tasting/?p=1386807
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91534-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap-tasting/?p=1387104
...and some other comments onwards in the same thread.

Recipe here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91534-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap-tasting/?p=1387225

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I know Wiggman loved it. I loved it. The surprise of having phenolics and then a clean lager taste was something that most of the guys stated made it so interesting.

I thought the Spalt hops worked well. I'm kinda spewing that Summer is almost gone and I didn't brew another one.
I think you have plenty of time to brew another before the cool weather starts. I could send you a couple of bottles, but I can't see that lasting you for long. Certainly not long enough...

I'm very happy with my latest Dämpfbier brew (bottled off the tap from my keg), and I sampled some with the Brewman yesterday when dropping off my entries for the Newcastle Regional Show 2017. I am hopeful for a ribbon (Edit: ...despite the change of category, as there is no longer a Specialty- other category. Stupid BJCP almost seem to have excluded this beer).

Just SO drinkable, though.

Les the Weizguy said:
I think you have plenty of time to brew another before the cool weather starts. I could send you a couple of bottles, but I can't see that lasting you for long. Certainly not long enough...

I'm very happy with my latest Dämpfbier brew (bottled off the tap from my keg), and I sampled some with the Brewman yesterday when dropping off my entries for the Newcastle Regional Show 2017. I am hopeful for a ribbon (Edit: ...despite the change of category, as there is no longer a Specialty- other category. Stupid BJCP almost seem to have excluded this beer).

Just SO drinkable, though.
Was very drinkable.

Well made beer Les, I think it will do well in the comp.

Thanks for sharing it.

1489741902630.jpg
Here's my rendition. I have a habit of not taking gravity readings lately and I think I kicked some efficiency arse because it is FULL flavoured. Probably the most flavoursome beer I've brewed. Has that typical wheat beer aroma but after a few sips the aftertaste becomes this malty, full and sweet paradise. Not that dry phenolic 'bite' a wheat beer brings. I'd probably wind back the ABV next time (if I knew what it was) but this is otherwise a ripper beer that I can't understand​ people categorise as "could only have a few". 3 longnecks deep a few weeks ago and I was ready to take on any challenge. Just my wife and I at home so I crashed early instead.

I'm still enjoying the Dämpfbier I made in Mid-Jan this year.
Not sure how much is left in the 2nd keg, but the first one was empty over a month back. Oh, but there's the 9 litre Mytton Rodd keg that I bought (described as 10 litres)
Nice hop flavour, good clarity, and flavours. Great beer, but maybe this one was a little overly bitter (say 25, rather than 15). Only scored mid-30s at the Newcastle comp, but , soooooo yummy, and only 1.3 litres in the boot.

Dampf_fridge door.jpg

Latest posts

Back