RecipeDB - Ruriks - American Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rurik

Reaction score

Ruriks - American Wheat

Wheat - American Wheat
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

The Cascade addition at 10min was Citra. I used Cascade in the recipe data base as Citra was not there. Also the Wheat flour was Joe White Unmalted wheat. Mashed at 64 degrees for 90 min with a slow cool sparge.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.18 kg IMC Pilsner
3.25 kg JWM Wheat Malt
1.4 kg Wheat Flour
0.465 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
25 g Warrior (Pellet, 15.0AA%, 90mins)
20 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

2 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
55L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.04 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.01 (calc)
  • Bitterness 22 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 3.89%
  • Colour 5 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

A slow cool sparge what temp was that at? 75c ?

I have too ask what the idea behind a cool sparge is

I have too ask what the idea behind a cool sparge is

Well the cool sparge started when I realised that my hot water service is hooked up wrong and supplies hot water to the tap at 72 deg. So I gave a cool sparge a go. I have been very happy with the results of this as it gives me a good clean malt crispness with no cloying flavours. Also I feel this provides some protection from extracting unwanted tannins. Though this is just a feeling and I have to do some more experimenting with it, but it has worked for me with this beer.

I never sparge hotter than 71 or 72 deg. I also find i get a smoother cleaner beer. I tried a hotter sparge once and it was noticable harsher.

I say sparge cooler and slower and let the sugars come out naturally as aposed to melting them out, along with god knows what, with hotter water.

cheers

I have found that a cooler sparge with bigger beers will help with a dryer finish.

Cheers

Interesting. About to put a dubbel down and wanting maltiness, mouthfeel and dryness. I've tried mashing low with dubbels before to get good attenuation dryness (also use candi sugar) but would like a bit less dry this time.

Next step was to mash hot but mash longer. Maybe a cool sparge experiment is on the cards

Sorry for off topic.

Latest posts

Back