RecipeDB - Raven's Robust Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score

Raven's Robust Porter

Porter - Robust Porter
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Pulled a 3rd Prize in SABSOSA 2009

Mashed at 65
SG 1047
FG 1009
Yeast WY 1469

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
10.31 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
1.37 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.92 kg TF Amber Malt
0.69 kg Weyermann Caraaroma
0.23 kg Weyermann Melanoidin
0.23 kg Flaked Oats

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
80 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 60mins)
55 g Northern Brewer (Pellet, 8.5AA%, 60mins)
20 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 5mins)

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
64L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.047 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 36.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 72%
  • Alcohol 4.14%
  • Colour 67 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Darn you are quick mate!

Finished the recipe now.

Will be making this one again with a different mash temp for sure. :icon_cheers:

Higher or lower?
Looks tasty. The only thing that throws me is how the recipe db allows for such varying batch sizes so ocassionally before reading thoroughly I think "my GOD! 300g of hops? What is he thinking?

Need to give it more body. Thinking 67 - 68 for the next one mate.

Yeah this one was made with my brew buddy hence a double / triple batch... usually 3 cubes filled from one batch! :icon_drunk:

edit: speelingk!

DSCN3486.JPG

Credit where credit is due Raven.
'Your' recipe is actually a watered down version of Barry Cranston's Robust Porter, listed elsewhere in the database.
'Your' grist composition is EXACTLY the same with gravity scaled down, apparently to fit a scaled up volume in too small a mash tun.
In the original thread, you didn't have a clue, you asked for opinion of what to make, opted for Barry's recipe, and now you are trying to claim it as your own.
I think that's a bit rich.

Peter Wadey
ESB Club, Sydney

Very Fair call mate. It is Barry's Porter straight up with higher bitterness plus nochill effects. I shall be continuing to tweak this one though.

But yes indeed, its all Barry's.

Sorry for any apparent hijacking. Not my intention at all.

Second version of this is being planned already with some tweaks to the recipe. :icon_cheers:

I have tried this beer I believe from Ravens brew buddy. It was a great beer, I can imagine it only got marked down on its size so to speak as it was pretty well technically faultless but maybe more a easy drinking dark ale rather then robust porter. Maybe if you had have made it to the gravity Barry did it might have scored you a gold.

As Peter said best to mention if its someone elses recipe if only to save yourself being caught out :unsure:
Credit is mostly to the brewer as far as the end beer goes though really, if it was as simple as recipes everyone would be brewing gold medal standard beers everytime.

:icon_offtopic: I had the pleasure of judging Barrys Australian dark at anawbs which got beer of show and I am pretty sure I used words like this is a perfect example in everyway.
I tried most of the robust porters but didn't judge any, I actually thought some were judged higher then I would being they were estery dark ales.

I am thinking this thread should be deleted, as I dont want to be seen taking credit for Barry's great Porter!

Latest posts

Back