RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a go at this on the w'end. Busting to try my NS hops and figured i'd dive in head first.

Hope i like it cause i'm doing 4 kegs.

Tween my short ingredient list and brewmate, this is what i came up with...

Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 5.00 %
Colour (SRM): 4.4 (EBC): 8.6
Bitterness (IBU): 35.9 (Average)

91.84% Pale Ale Malt
8.16% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Does it look about right?

Having a go at this on the w'end. Busting to try my NS hops and figured i'd dive in head first.

Hope i like it cause i'm doing 4 kegs.

Tween my short ingredient list and brewmate, this is what i came up with...

Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 5.00 %
Colour (SRM): 4.4 (EBC): 8.6
Bitterness (IBU): 35.9 (Average)

91.84% Pale Ale Malt
8.16% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Does it look about right?

Have you still got any of that rye left? As I mention above when I brew again next I will sub the wheat for rye. Then again I'm becoming like Maple - if you want to improve a beer, add rye.

Yes, bought a new bag last order so have about thirty kilos.

Do you think split the wheat and the rye?

that's what i've been doing with the Smurtos golden and i'm happy as a honeysucker.

Grinding grain tommorow for a sat brew.

kegged a beer today so the fridge is now clear for a nelson sauvin, going to brew tomorrow after work!!!

May as well start brewing the next, this is a dead set quaffer. You'll be disappointed after it's gone!

2 out of my total of 6 AG brews have been this, and I can't keep it on the shelf. I only have 2 bottles left of the batch that was bottled 2 weeks before christmas. Took 4 bottles to our flat block's xmas bash, and had to go get another 4. People keep asking me if I have any left, and when I'm going to brew it again it was so popular.

Yes, bought a new bag last order so have about thirty kilos.

Do you think split the wheat and the rye?

that's what i've been doing with the Smurtos golden and i'm happy as a honeysucker.

My plan for the next brew of this style is 85-90% MO and 10-15% Rye, although a split could work too of between 5 to 10% each of Rye/Wheat. I've never used Rye and Wheat together though.

FWIW, I dont normally like to recommend a new recipe or change to an existing recipe until I've tried it myself but from our previous discussions I know you're a Rye fan and likely had some lying around. I just found the standard grain bill was a bit lacking for my taste. My approach was to try the standard recipe first and then depending on how it turned out, tweak it to my tastes. It's a bit hard to do that with 4 kegs at a time though...

Let me know which way you go and how it turns out.

My plan for the next brew of this style is 85-90% MO and 10-15% Rye, although a split could work too of between 5 to 10% each of Rye/Wheat. I've never used Rye and Wheat together though.

FWIW, I dont normally like to recommend a new recipe or change to an existing recipe until I've tried it myself but from our previous discussions I know you're a Rye fan and likely had some lying around. I just found the standard grain bill was a bit lacking for my taste. My approach was to try the standard recipe first and then depending on how it turned out, tweak it to my tastes. It's a bit hard to do that with 4 kegs at a time though...

Let me know which way you go and how it turns out.

Thanks mate. That is exactly what i've decided to do. Weighed the hops this morning and will grind the grain this arvo for the batch as i listed it to brew tommorow.

Next time i brew i will split the wheat with rye, that's what i've been doing with my Smurto's Golden with the good Dr's advice and it suits my tastes.

Has anyone tried this with 1968 yeast? I have a slurry I need to repitch.

I chose this as my first AG BIAB ever and I've gotta say a big THANKS to Ross

This is a great beer - so simple and flavourful - a great quaffer in this heat!

I will be making plenty more!!

:beer:

Planning on a 60L batch for this weekend. My third go at this recipe

Probably my favourite beer so far

Hitting this again on sunday. The last 4 kegs didn't last long.

This time i will be splitting the wheat with rye and using Citra as the hop.

Hitting this again on sunday. The last 4 kegs didn't last long.

This time i will be splitting the wheat with rye and using Citra as the hop.

I just did an all Citra Ale with Golden Promise/Crystal/Carapils that I'm looking forward to trying. It's all kegged up and ready to go.

Going to do the NS Summer Ale again though - it's a winner!

This one is cold and carbonating now. Just waiting for my last NS keg to blow and i'll be tasting.

Will let you know the results. :icon_cheers:

Got a slight variation of this on at the moment with some Rakau. Not as good at NS for this recipe, for sure. Will try with Summer Saaz and Kohatu also.

Sorry just spotted this after rereading the thread in prep for tommorows brew day.

The last got infected and resulted in 4 kegs down the drain.

Never got to try the citra one (not without the twang anyway).

Will be brewing again over the weekend, but trying to get my no chill conversion down pat. using the brewmate nochill button as 10 min pitching delays didn't work for me.

i will report back on the wheat subbed with all rye.

Got some nice NS flowers to play with.

Planning on a 60L batch for this weekend. My third go at this recipe

Probably my favourite beer so far

Got my third batch of NSSA kegged the other day. Good news is I'm pretty happy with my No Chill version now. Tried mixing it up a bit for the 2nd batch... and went back to my original version, and yes, its good. Good Aroma, Flavour and Bittering :)

I use 5 additions.

The key is to use a french press to add the aroma back into the fermenter after krausen dies down. I place the hops in a french press (ie coffee plunger) fill with boiling water, stir and let stew for 1 minute, press and pour into the fermenter, then refill the plunger, stir and let stew for 5 minutes, repress an repour.

I would use no more than 10g per cup. Ie if you have a 4 cup press, only use 40g at a time!

My hop additions are

60 min, 20 min, 5 min and whirlpool. The whirlpool is done 10 minutes after cutting the heat, and I let the whirlpool sit for 10-20 minutes before siphoning into my cubes.

When calculating the first four additions I enter them into BeerSmith as 70 min, 30 min, 15 min and 0 min, and then essentially I add the hops 10 minutes later than indicated.

Used pellets this time, last time was flowers, similar results.

for a 60L batch I used

15g 11.3% 70min 7.3 IBUs
40g 11.3% 30min 14.4 IBUs
55g 11.3% 15min 12.8 IBUs
80g 11.3% 0min 0 IBUs 1.15g/L (end of boil vol)
80g 11.3% aroma 0 IBUs 1.33g/L (fermenter vol)

total of 34.5 IBUs

(remembering that the hops are put in 10 mins later than indicated on the recipe)

Calculate your last two additions based on End of Boil and Fermenter volumes, then the previous 2 additons to target the rough IBUs, then the first addition should bring you up to about 34.5 IBUs

Polychlar BrewBrite, Wyeast Nutrient and Wyeast 1272.

Ferment at 17.5C for 2 weeks, then crash to 0.5C for 1 week and keg.

Yummy

Anyone else having head retention problems with this beer? I've done 4 brews of NSSA, and all of them have pretty poor head retention. I added a glycoprotein rest at 72 for 10, but that's only improved matters slightly. Stepped mashes with my system can be problematic so it takes a long time to hit 72 from 64.

I don't seem to have head retention problems in my other beers so I'm wondering if this is a characteristic of Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter? I've just picked up half a bag of Simpson's MO, so I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Back