RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Into day 8 of fermentation, everything is going well, except for the still creamy thick level of krausen still existing thanks to the personality of US05/1056.

However - over the weekend I decided to buy some commercial beers that used NS hops so I could get a taste of what they were like. I can easily identify certain hops I've used a bit like Amarillo, Galaxy and Citra, but not NS. I picked up a Knappstein Reserve Lager and a Feral Golden Ace.

Turns out I CAN'T STAND the characteristics of Nelson Sauvin. That fruity white wine taste. Blecchh. God damn it, if I knew this before hand I would've subbed Nelson for another hop. Oh well! Will be interesting to see if I like it.

Just as well that if I don't like this beer I can easily brew another! Viva la BIAB!

Turns out I CAN'T STAND the characteristics of Nelson Sauvin. That fruity white wine taste. Blecchh. God damn it, if I knew this before hand I would've subbed Nelson for another hop.

Shit mate, that's no good. No good at all.

How much have you got left?

I mean, if you really don't like it.....and you're gonna hate using it all the time.....i'm sure some of us here can find a use for it.

(insert generic emoticon with hands rubbing together "gleefully", but with a strangely evil quality).

Just bottled this - tasted delicious out of the fermenter. The wait begins.

Aaaaaand have just tasted it for the first time... only 2 and a half weeks in the bottle. But it was pretty god damned good! Very light, easy drinking and refreshing, and even though its young it shows real promise. Less hop flavour and aroma than I was expecting, but that's a good thing. A great fairly neutral balance of bitterness and flavour. Can't wait to see how it is after another few weeks.

But pretty sure its the tastiest beer I've brewed.

Turns out I CAN'T STAND the characteristics of Nelson Sauvin. That fruity white wine taste. Blecchh. God damn it, if I knew this before hand I would've subbed Nelson for another hop.
I've made a double batch of this, I don't mind it but find that same characteristic soundawake mentions a bit much for my taste. Going up to Craftbrewer on Saturday, can I grab something to throw in a hop bag into the keg to get a bit more citrus in there? If so, what might go well?

pellets are fine as long as you put them in a hop bag that they cant escape from
if you use a bit of fishing line to hold the hop bag mid-keg you can pull it out as soon as you get the effect your after, the fishing line wont mess up the seal with the keg lid either (as long as its of the thinner variety anyway)
doing it that way you can go a bit heavier on the amount your using and just whip it out when it hits the mark your after

Ok thanks mate, might try a bag with 50g of cascade pellets and see what happens. Got a near new hop bag there so not much will escape.

:icon_cheers:

Quite keen to try this one. My LHBS is having real trouble sourcing some types of hops at the moment but NZ ones are plentiful.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, just don't like the stuff. This doesn't taste too much like a sav does it?

Also, I've got about 30g of Cascade in the fridge. Someone mentioned that cascade and ns go well together, can you point me to any examples?

Cheers

Someone mentioned that cascade and ns go well together, can you point me to any examples?

Have a try of a fat yak, thats a combo of NS and cascade if you havent already.

Theres a recipe for a clone on the DB here

Quite keen to try this one. My LHBS is having real trouble sourcing some types of hops at the moment but NZ ones are plentiful.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, just don't like the stuff. This doesn't taste too much like a sav does it?

Also, I've got about 30g of Cascade in the fridge. Someone mentioned that cascade and ns go well together, can you point me to any examples?

Cheers

Holgate Mt Macedon Ale uses cascade and NS

What about this one, does it taste too much like a sav (wine)? Or quite beery...if there is such a word.

I've had good results mixing Cascade and a Noble in the kettle to soften the fruit salad factor.
Maybe with Nelson might help tone it down? Or total sacrilege to mix Nobles and New World hops?

I have a heap of Bsaaz ,cascade and Amarillo in the freezer. Would you guys use one of these or wait untill I can get my hands on some NS

Bottled some of this about a week ago, I forgot to add the irish moss and is cloudy as hell. :( Usually after a week in the bottle I can read a book through it.

Oh well, I'm sure it won't affect the taste too much, just looks ugly. Look forward to a sample in another week or so.

Bottled this one back in about August last year. Didn't really enjoy it at the time: tasted quite earthy, not bad, just not my cup of tea. With the benefit of about four months in the bottle this has turned out to be quite enjoyable.

Not sure if is because the hops have mellowed or if my taste has changed. Soundwave, if you didn't tip your batch of this it might be worth revisiting.

Bottled this one back in about August last year. Didn't really enjoy it at the time: tasted quite earthy, not bad, just not my cup of tea. With the benefit of about four months in the bottle this has turned out to be quite enjoyable.

Not sure if is because the hops have mellowed or if my taste has changed. Soundwave, if you didn't tip your batch of this it might be worth revisiting.

This beer ended up being freaken delicious and refreshing. It didn't ended up too floraly, (is that a word?) probably because I stuck to the normal hop addition times but am a no/slow chiller (the cube gets tossed in the pool to cool down over an hour or two.) So the bitterness was probably higher than usual which is good for me, without too much white wineyness.

Just knocked off the last bottle yesterday. Will definitely brew again.

And the grain bill I thought was a really good base, I will use it again to try out different hops.

Back