RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else having head retention problems with this beer? I've done 4 brews of NSSA, and all of them have pretty poor head retention. I added a glycoprotein rest at 72 for 10, but that's only improved matters slightly. Stepped mashes with my system can be problematic so it takes a long time to hit 72 from 64.

I don't seem to have head retention problems in my other beers so I'm wondering if this is a characteristic of Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter? I've just picked up half a bag of Simpson's MO, so I'll find out soon enough I guess.
F.B funny you should mention this im having a glass of my NSSA made with Simpsons M.O. ita s about the 4th or 5th schooie in the same glass and it keeps a great head and lacing all the way down the glass!!!

I just finsished a bottle and no dramas at all. Just put down another batch and completely swapped the NS to Amarillo!

I just finsished a bottle and no dramas at all. Just put down another batch and completely swapped the NS to Amarillo!
Rowy thinking of doing this with cascade seeing ive got a shitload of it,its a great base beer to throw hops at!!! :party:

F.B funny you should mention this im having a glass of my NSSA made with Simpsons M.O. ita s about the 4th or 5th schooie in the same glass and it keeps a great head and lacing all the way down the glass!!!

Here's hoping! Been totally happy with NSSA otherwise. Just cracked another brew with mostly TFMO and some very small crystal additions and it's similar but not as bad. Looking forward to seeing how the Simpson's goes.

Rowy thinking of doing this with cascade seeing ive got a shitload of it,its a great base beer to throw hops at!!! :party:

Because I'm new to the AG thing I've got myself a couple of good grain profiles and I'm throwing single hops at them to teach me what different hops taste like.

Because I'm new to the AG thing I've got myself a couple of good grain profiles and I'm throwing single hops at them to teach me what different hops taste like.

What are you grain profiles rowy? Doing similar things myself but the same profile as this recipe. Wouldnt mind adding more to it

What are you grain profiles rowy? Doing similar things myself but the same profile as this recipe. Wouldnt mind adding more to it

I use this one midnight for American hops. For English hops i use the following;

80% Marris Otter
10 % Munich
5% Victory
5% Wheat

I'm drinking a bitter at the moment and it is grouse!

Yummmmm. Will have to give some english hops a crack when I get some :beerbang:

Yummmmm. Will have to give some english hops a crack when I get some :beerbang:

I've just been using EKG & Fuggles at the moment but bconnery has me thinking about Brambling Cross next time around. I've got a mild in the keg just waiting I'm going to crack today. Public holiday tomorrow :D

Back to the Summer Ale, i've got mine mashing atm. I ran out of ale malt and subbed pilsener, but other wise it's to this recipe..

Nelson sauvign summer ale NC (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.06 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 37.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

92% Pilsner Malt
8% Rye Malt

0.5 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Nelson Sauvin (12% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

First time i've used flowers and i'm looking forward to the smell in the shed as this lot hits the wort...

nelson1.jpg

Trying my new mash tun too.

I'm no chilling and plan on doing the additions as the recipe with the no chil button.
I'll be putting the aroma hops in at whirlpool 10mins after flameout.

Did the brew with Simpson's MO yesterday. Followed the same recipe I use for the Thomas Fawcett MO and got massive extraction! Hit 92% mash efficiency (was 79% with the TFMO) and post boil SG of 1.059 (should have been 1.050).

The only thing I did differently was adding a protein rest @ 52 for 20 minutes to my normal schedule of 64 for 60 / 72 for 10. Surely the protein rest wouldn't have caused that much better extraction?

Brewing this again for the second time this month. This has found a permanent tap on my bar. I've changed it up slightly to suit myself with rye as the malt addition and have found that using flowers has put a rounded flavour into the hop addition that wasn't there with pellets.

I'm loving it. This is my no chill 84 litre standard recipe.

Thanks again Ross. :D

summerale1.jpg

It's the yeast mate. i adjust my aa% as i find that the US-05 attenuates much lower than the default set by brewmate.

Hi Punkin
How are you adding your 0 minute hops? French Press method?

cheers
Taz

I'm brewing this next sunday... I can't see anything about a mashout temp on the recipe. I see a few people have mashed out at 72 for 10, is this what I should do?

I'm brewing this next sunday... I can't see anything about a mashout temp on the recipe. I see a few people have mashed out at 72 for 10, is this what I should do?

No 72'c is still in conversion ( it is still ok and works)
Try 75'c - 78'c for a real mashout
Denaturing of enzymes end of conversion Etc

Hi Punkin
How are you adding your 0 minute hops? French Press method?

cheers
Taz

No i am chucking the 5 mins in at whirlpool. Also dry hopping in the keg in teaballs for the 0 min

Back