RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahhh No! Hot break is coagulated protein from the boil and happens throughout the boil... not really a moment in time ie hop addition.

10 min after flame out is 10 min after you turn the flame out on your burner, post boil. It is just a very late addition of hops.

Good luck with AG mate.

Thanks Bongchitis.. :kooi:

I only have one book and its old very old.. I wish there was a glossary on this forum.

Would it make a huge difference if I was to substitute the Bairds Marris Otter Pale Ale Malt for Joe White Traditional Pale Ale Malt?

"are'nt they all the same"

To the refined palette, the answer is yes, for my palette I would say no difference!

Agree. Its a cracker btw.

what exactly is Torrefied Wheat, and what does it add to the recipe??

could I get a similar result using crystal wheat malt? or are these two incomparable to each other.

could I get a similar result using crystal wheat malt? or are these two incomparable to each other.

Completely incomparable.

Any LHBS worth their salt should have Torrefied wheat. Use raw wheat if worse comes to worse.

another question.. sorry its my first time.. ;)

I am being asked what grade of milling the grains will need? I was thinking I would use the BIAB method, as I do not have a full setup.

recomendations?

It's wheat that has had the shit scared out of it.... that, or it's just unmalted wheat that has been pre-gelatinised so you can add it straight to the mash.

Not sure what you mean about grade of milling, if your LHBS is milling the grain for you, that will be sufficient.

It's wheat that has had the shit scared out of it.... that, or it's just unmalted wheat that has been pre-gelatinised so you can add it straight to the mash.

Not sure what you mean about grade of milling, if your LHBS is milling the grain for you, that will be sufficient.

cool B) ..

stupid web site, I thought just having the grain cracked was enough.. but the stupid site says what grade of milling do you require.

Im not sure I'll use Torrified wheat, I see some people have used wheat malt... what flavour difference am I likely to experience if I go with wheat malt instead??

and is the torrified wheat used purely for head retention?

Im going to do an order of 12.5kg of each, and want to be able to use these ingredients in other brews.

Malted wheat works perfectly well - I use either. In such a hoppy beer the difference is very subtle.

cheers Ross

Ive got a keg of this thats been chilled overnight and another fermenter full. Think i might go and force carb the keg now... nom nom nom :chug:

Malted wheat works perfectly well - I use either. In such a hoppy beer the difference is very subtle.

cheers Ross

Thanks for your reply.. its good to know, cause Im just starting out. and I suppose the malted wheat could be used in
Weizens (did I spell it right), or I hope it could. plus I just got 250g of Nelson Sauvin flowers.. so Im gonna have to find something to do with the rest of that.. as well as the remainder of my Bsaaz flowers.. how long do these last in the freezer?

Thanks for your reply.. its good to know, cause Im just starting out. and I suppose the malted wheat could be used in
Weizens (did I spell it right), or I hope it could. plus I just got 250g of Nelson Sauvin flowers.. so Im gonna have to find something to do with the rest of that.. as well as the remainder of my Bsaaz flowers.. how long do these last in the freezer?

Do the same recipe with your leftover B Saaz (Motueka) hops. It works beautifully and im torn as to which one I like better. They will last a good long time if you store them in an air tight container in the freezer.

Dylo

Just brewed this Nelson Summer Ale the other day (BiAB), and its currently in the fermenter bubbling away. Had a lot of clumping on dough in during the mash. I think the torrified wheat clumps a little (maybe will add rice husks next time i order from ross).

Hit my numbers reasonably close (only my 2nd BiAB and running at only 65% efficiency which is a little low).

What have people done with their left over hops? I only have 15gm left, but seem a shame to waste it (in the fridge at present).

I've also used the full 25gm of American yeast from Craftbrewer, but given its only a 18L batch i'm wondering if i should have used a little less. Any thoughts?

Just brewed this Nelson Summer Ale the other day (BiAB), and its currently in the fermenter bubbling away. Had a lot of clumping on dough in during the mash. I think the torrified wheat clumps a little (maybe will add rice husks next time i order from ross).

Hit my numbers reasonably close (only my 2nd BiAB and running at only 65% efficiency which is a little low).

What have people done with their left over hops? I only have 15gm left, but seem a shame to waste it (in the fridge at present).

I've also used the full 25gm of American yeast from Craftbrewer, but given its only a 18L batch i'm wondering if i should have used a little less. Any thoughts?

Good work mate. This is a nice beer.

Save your left over hops for next time. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

25 grams of yeast seems like a lot. On the craftbrewer website they sell it in a 2x 12g pack. 12 grams would be enough for a brew of that size.

Cheers

MOM

I just did this one today (used pellets, not flowers). I pessimistically set my efficiency quite low on beersmith (%65), failing to take into account that as I am getting a bit more experienced with my gear I am also getting much better efficiency. My last few batches have all consistently come out on target at %75 - %78 on beersmith.

The long and the short is that including a 2L yeast starter (wyeast 1272 @ 1.038) I now have 24L of this brew at 1.060 OG sitting in the fermenter. Oops.

Meh, I'm sure it will still taste ok...

Lesson for today: set beersmith to %75 and enjoy balanced low alc beers if something goes awry rather than going the other way.

Not alot of hop aroma in the boil, but I am looking forward to the smell in the fermenting fridge tomorrow morning. Cheers.

Back