RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a couple of batches, first with flowers and then with pellets. A couple of months between brews but I can't tell any difference... very tasty. I'll be using pellets again next time too.

EDIT: Also swapped the torrified wheat for regular wheat malt and it was fine. I just used the same amount.

I had done this yesterday and turned out pretty dark after the boil? Is this normal and will it clear up later on?

This is my one only 2 weeks in the bottle...

ProperBeer.jpg

We forgot the whirflock.... and no chance of the haze dropping out its GONE! will brew again!

FFS :eek: what was the turn around time for the keg to be mt? If it was that good I may have to view getting a little bit more of the NS.

BYB

Edit: If you like give the old gelatine a whirl. Does wonders for me and a ship load of other brewers.

FFS :eek: what was the turn around time for the keg to be mt? If it was that good I may have to view getting a little bit more of the NS.

BYB

Edit: If you like give the old gelatine a whirl. Does wonders for me and a ship load of other brewers.

+ for Gelatine! Still have chill haze, but no yeast haze...

Okay, I'm doing this as my first AG, but I have a couple questions;

- How long were the mash/boil? There's [topic="28257"]a thread[/topic] going on here that suggests patience pays off for MO. 80 min first addition seems to imply a 90 minute boil?

- Final gravity/ABV in the recipe don't match the ones in the notes. Is this usual (predicted vs obtained) or is this a typo?

Less of a question; In the notes it says yeast was US-56 (old name), but the recipe says US-05 (new name). Not really a problem I guess.

I'm doing this no-chill. Any forum members in Adelaide will be welcome to taste test and compare. This will also be hop pellets - seems I couldn't talk the local supplier out of any flowers.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Okay, I'm doing this as my first AG, but I have a couple questions;

- How long were the mash/boil? There's [topic="28257"]a thread[/topic] going on here that suggests patience pays off for MO. 80 min first addition seems to imply a 90 minute boil?

- Final gravity/ABV in the recipe don't match the ones in the notes. Is this usual (predicted vs obtained) or is this a typo?

Less of a question; In the notes it says yeast was US-56 (old name), but the recipe says US-05 (new name). Not really a problem I guess.

I'm doing this no-chill. Any forum members in Adelaide will be welcome to taste test and compare. This will also be hop pellets - seems I couldn't talk the local supplier out of any flowers.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

I did this as a 60 min boil and no chilled.

If I was using a chiller I would do a 90 minute boil - as I think the recipe suggests that.

The idea with this recipe is to let the hops take centre stage. So IMO any yeast that doesn't add heaps of character or esters would be great. US-05 or even nottingham if you wish.

I changed the hop additions around as well. Did a 60 minute boil with first additions at 40 mins, second additions at 10 mins and third in the cube. The fourth additions I will steep the hops in some boiling water for a minute or two, then pour the liquid into the fermentor a day or two before I bottle.

turned out beautifully, of course! big hit with the rellies at christmas,

I finally kegged and carbed this, my 3rd AG, last night. Enjoying a glass now.

Its a very simple taste, the hops are very prominent and quite tasty, but this is staying true to being a Summer Ale. Easy to drink, and no great thought processes required :D

I like it.

IMGP4555.JPG

Cheers,
Jake

I really like this brew...even though mine didn't turn out too well...

I find that the nelson sauvin tastes a bit like peach :)

I want it to be summer again....
Does it need to be to enjoy this one? :icon_drool2:

I've recently polished off the very last bottle of this (my first AG) that I found hiding in a crate. I've since done 10 all-grain beers, and I reckon it's time to revisit this one, now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

Can't wait!

Does it need to be to enjoy this one? :icon_drool2:

I've recently polished off the very last bottle of this (my first AG) that I found hiding in a crate. I've since done 10 all-grain beers, and I reckon it's time to revisit this one, now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

Can't wait!

mmmmm try it with galaxy

Yes... from memory there pretty close in there aa...

Done a mixture of both in this recipe to. That was nice!

Done a mixture of both in this recipe to. That was nice!
Care to divulge the hop schedule? Feel free to PM me just for the sake of keeping this on topic. Do you still get the passionfruit/stone fruit flavours/aromas? Very interesting...

Care to divulge the hop schedule? Feel free to PM me just for the sake of keeping this on topic. Do you still get the passionfruit/stone fruit flavours/aromas? Very interesting...

Ill do that for you tonight, from memory pretty sure Galaxy for bittering then a mixture of both we called it Planet of the Grapes... LOL! we had done a galaxy summer ale and the original at the same time you could tell the difference but they have similar flavours! I could never tell which one I liked the most.

Together I thought then galaxy took that sweet edge of the nelson!

Back