RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nom nom nom. this is tops. a bit cloudy cause i squeezed out the bag full of dry hops when i took them out of the keg. but tastes most awesome thanks mate!!!

lfpa.jpg

That looks very nice indeed! :icon_drool2: great creamy head on it too. Jealous cause my keg of this blew 2 nights ago. :chug:

Put this on tap today - 100% original recipe
This is without doubt the best beer I have ever brewed and will be the standard house ale.
Awesome recipe Argon

Cheers :beerbang:

going to do a half batch of this today but dont have any EKG

should i increase any of the 60 min hops ?

only have cascade, chinook and Sazz (not that i was going to add sazz)

Dropped the EKG and made up the difference with a touch more chinook.

how much should i add in the Chinook ? @ 60 mins

cheers

going to do a half batch of this today but dont have any EKG

should i increase any of the 60 min hops ?

only have cascade, chinook and Sazz (not that i was going to add sazz)

how much should i add in the Chinook ? @ 60 mins

cheers
From memory the EKG adds about 15ibu. So just up the chinook to cover. Should be about double. But do the calcs and make sure you get to about 45ibu or so

Now that my mill has arrived B) i'll be doing a tweaked version of this on the weekend.

I feel that the current batch came out a little too malty and full bodied. Finished at 1012 though. So going to drop the Munich down to 15% and up the Wheat to 10%. I'm happy with the mash temp of 64.5C as i did last time. So one change at a time should do it.

Hi Argon

Hoping to brew this soon - but unsure which version youd currently recommend being closest to original LCPA.

Was it the BeerSmith version at post #55 with a 47.9 IBU or is it the recipeDB version with a 62.1 IBU?

Cheers

Hi Argon

Hoping to brew this soon - but unsure which version youd currently recommend being closest to original LCPA.

Was it the BeerSmith version at post #55 with a 47.9 IBU or is it the recipeDB version with a 62.1 IBU?

Cheers

The one in post #55 is the same one that's in the DB. Just that the calculations come out different between beersmith and the DB. Don't really know why.

Anyway... give it a shot and report on how you go.
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

Kegged it last night.
Clearest beer i have ever filtered!

(Was so tasty I drank two leftover litres of it warm out of the filter :D - no wastage here!)

Great Recipe thanks Argon.

I followed the DB recipe to a T (all grain) and I actually did a side by side with a bottled commercial LCPA. Colour is spot on. Aroma of the commercial version seemed almost non-existant after smelling my version. Taste was so similar you would never pick the difference. Even got my girlfriend to try them both and she said the commercial version was slightly smoother. Head retention was far superior in mine. All in all, its wicked!

Thanks again for the recipe.

Dylo

Head retention was far superior in mine.

Dylo

Thats actually something that I have noticed with most LC beers... There seems to be little head retention in the LCPA and LCBA.... I reckon my first extract LFPA was pretty bloody close to LCPA and the head retention is much better!

Argon - very nice drop. I did version three I think (page three anyway) .... It is a beauty.
Thanks for the recipe - it will be brewed regularly.
Cheers
BBB

Just cubed a double batch today into 17L cubes. Sg 1.060. Just wondering if I should french press the 10 and 5 min additions in boiling water, or do a mini boil of 3L from the wort and top up the volume with water to get 21L into fermentor.

Personally, if The 5 and 10 minute additions are flowers/plugs, do them as French press. Pellets just don't seem to work for me when French pressing... They just turn to sludge and it's hard to extract the 'hop tea' without a great deal of sediment. So if your using pellets, do the mini-boil.

Either way, hope it turns out tasty. :chug:

Can someone please expand on what the BB means in "4KG of BB Ale Malt"? And also someone said an equivalent would be JW Pale malt - what's JW?

Cheers

Hi all

Well my 2nd ever full 50L batch all grain was done using this recipe. I had to substitute the chinook for "Northern Brewer" hops as my LHBS didn't have them.
All in all it smelt and tasted like a wonderful recipe. Can't wait to try it when it's done!

The only thing that I'm super angry at myself about, is that I thought the OG was supposed to be 50, not 55. So when topping up my fermenter to reach what I thought was the desired OG, I got it to 51 then had a brain fart and thought I better double check the brew sheet. Of course, I was already 4 over the desired OG of 55 - aarrrrghhhhh! I hope this doesn't change too much....
What will it change? Other than lowering the alcohol %? I'm guessing the body won't be as full?

Cheers

Hunt

By diluting to 1051, you may have slightly less alcohol and a little less bitterness... But over all the flavour balance should still be around the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just let it ferment out as usual, trying to get it to fully attenuate as you want a fairly dry beer.

Not sure what effect the northern brewer will have. I've never heard of NB being a sub for chinook.

This beer is fairly well driven but the grapefruit/piney flavours you get from chinook. I've never dryhopped NB, so again not sure what aroma profile you'll get. It may end up a good variation using NB. Interested to know how it turns out.

Cool Brew Argon, Had a crack at it on Monday night with a few variations.
Hapilly fermenting away and I look forward to sampling.

Tidal Reaches Pale Ale

2kg Maris otter ale malt

2kg Joe white Traditional ale malt

1.1kg Joe white Munich

.085kg UK carra malt

.1kg Carra aroma weyman

.1kg Carra aroma Joe white

.09kg Rolled Oats

.07kg Joe white pilsner

.025kg Crystal Heritage.

Brew in the bag, 2nd time using the stainless mesh bag I have made.

Mash in at 67 degrees and went to 65 degrees in 90 mins.

Grain out and 2 litre sparge.

70 min boil.

50 min - 10g Chinook flowers + 40g Goldings flowers.

10 min 30g Chinook flowers + 14g cascade pellets.

5 min - 15g Chinook flowers + 15g cascade pellets.

0 min - 25g Chinook flowers + 25g cascade pellets.

No chill overnight.

OG 1044, seems like low efficiency, I usually sparge more and dunk sparge.

Put in fermenter with 20g of blended Chinook flowers and 20g of cascade pellets.

Pitch visibly active craft brewer American ale yeast 1 litre starter made 12 hours ago.

Will probably add more hops when I keg it depending on how it seems...

Transferred this brew to a keg this arvo, very happy with the result (so far).

Instead of the Chinook, I used Warrior (thats what the LHBS had in stock) to a ratio of 1gW:1.4gC. The hop flavour out of the fermenter is fairly well balanced, nothing overpowering at all and there is a nice hint of tropical fruit(??) As I haven't made the step into liquid yeast, I used US-05 and set the temp controller to 18. Two weeks later, lovely brew waiting to be devoured.

Thanks for the recipe argon, muchly appreciated.

H.

Latest posts

Back