RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a few pints of LCPA on Saturday on tap. First time I'd had it fresh on tap for a while (fresh as in QLD not fresh from the source).

It's remarkably the same as LFPA except LCPA has a lot less late florally aroma. The sort of harsh but good bitterness and malt is absolutely spot on.

Brewed this on Saturday for the first time. Keen to see how it comes out. A big blow fly wanted the first taste. Went for a fly around in the FV during the transfer from kettle. Gave me an idea of attaching the transfer tube from the plate chiller to the FV tap thereby maintaining a relatively closed system. It won't aerate the wort much though, so maybe drill a hole in the top of FV to stick the tranfer tube in? Or just keep on with current practice - no infections yet with AG brewing.

Just a quick question with this one.

They didnt have any US-05 at the LHBS, but I've got S-04 and Nottingham in the fridge.

Which yeast would you use if in my position?

Many thanks!

I'd wait for the us-05, or order some. Nottingham will work, but it won't taste the same. It is relatively clean for an English yeast, which is why I say it will 'work'.

Decided on a whim to brew some more of this. Simplified things a bit on the hopping front, cause i'm pretty lazy.

1050og

74% Ale
10% Munich
10% Wheat
5% Carapils
1% Acidulated

4 EKG plugs at 60
50 grams each of Chinook and Casade @ 10 and 0 then dry hopped

Easy peasy

Decided on a whim to brew some more of this. Simplified things a bit on the hopping front, cause i'm pretty lazy.

1050og

74% Ale
10% Munich
10% Wheat
5% Carapils
1% Acidulated

4 EKG plugs at 60

Easy peasy
Ok, you've dropped back the carapils and added a little acidulated. Reasons?

I've been adding some cluster, which gives a blackberry edge, but i've not tried anyone else's to compare.

Ok, you've dropped back the carapils and added a little acidulated. Reasons?

I've been adding some cluster, which gives a blackberry edge, but i've not tried anyone else's to compare.

The amount of times i've done this beer, i've always wanted it to be dryer, tarter and lighter in colour. The latest one is drinking really well but still getting a touch of sweetness. I think the balance of wheat is about right now. The acidulated is just about dropping the mash ph for my water, i don't think it has had a flavour implication.

Never thought about any blackberry in LCPA to be honest.

Hey Guys.
I am looking at doing this in the next couple of weeks.
I don't really want to buy any malt, as I have heaps. Have just run out of Ale malt, so plan on using the following grain bill:

37% Maris Otter
37% Pils
10% Munich
10% Wheat
6% Carapils

Is there any reason for me to not do this?

Thanks,
Hammo.

1050og

74% Ale
10% Munich
10% Wheat
5% Carapils
1% Acidulated

4 EKG plugs at 60

Easy peasy

How'd this lazy version turn out?

How'd this lazy version turn out?
Yeah pretty happy with it. Very easy drinker. Still a touch sweet, so will drop the mash temp a point and ensure I get full attenuation.

When is the best time to dry hop for this recipe?

Was there any guide for the amount of time to let the beer condition in the keg before it hits its peak? ie bitterness dies back a little etc

^I too would like to know!

I've had mine in the keg and in the fridge for around 3 weeks now, tried it a few days ago and the bitterness still slapped me in the face!

Here's to hoping 1 more week it will be magic!

I leave it for 2 months - best brew I've done was 6 months but I didn't adjust for no chill on that one. It was amazing how much it changed from the 4 month mark - was the best AG I've done. Might need a bit more patients lads :D

Also one of my favourites...are you really waiting for bitterness to 'die back' or is the chinook just too much for you? I can imagine if it was in a chilled keg then it might take longer to calm down, but I generally hook into this (I only keg approx %30 of my beers) reasonably early as I love the face shredding resin of chinook. You can substitute it out or drop it back and still make an awesome beer though obviously.

wow wasnt expecting 2 months to be a suggestion!

ill give it some consideration. i was thinking of fermenting, crash chilling, kegging and conditioning it out of the fridge for a bit.

I've just ordered the grain to make this next saturday, I may make it a little less bitter though.

I brewed up an extract version of this 3 and half weeks ago (A week in the bottle so far) and it tastes great, nice malt and hops balance. Haven't had a chance to compare it to LCPA yet, but from memory it has at least similar hop flavour and body.

3kg LDME
0.3kg Wheat DME
200g of Crystal - 141 EBC
US-05 Yeast
17g of Fuggle at 60 min (Replacement instead of EKG)
10g of Cascade and Chinook at 20 min
20g of Chinook, 25g of Cascade at 5 min.
Dry Hop 20g Cascade at day 7-14.

OG: 1.06 FG: 1.011
IBU: 41 EBC: 18.5

Boiled hops at 1.045, and followed hop schedule. Pitched at 18C, primary for 1 and half weeks, cold crash in secondary for 1 week.

If I were to change anything I would change add another dry hop during the cold crash to give it some extra aroma, but apart from that it was my best pale ale so far.

Can someone help me out a bit with this recipe? I tried to download the beersmith file but it just says error importing file every time. I'm trying to order the grain but I can't find the BB Pale Malt, should I just use Ale Malt? Is the Pale Malt the same as the Pilsner Pale Malt?

Looking through the forums there is an issue importing beersmith 1 files on a mac. Is there anyone out there who has a beersmith 2 file they could send me?

Latest posts

Back