RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting hop substitute... No idea what warrior is like in comparison to chinook. Hope it turns out tasty no matter.
Cheers
:icon_cheers:

Hey Argon

In relation to all the talk about NoChilling going on at the minute I just thought I'd try out my understanding of it all in reference to this recipe.

So if I were to no chill this recipe I should follow the recipe as is for everything up until the 20 min hop additions. So basically on brew day I will just add bittering additions and then cube it. When I'm then ready to pitch the yeast, I draw off my 3 litres or so of wort and boil for 20 mins adding all the relevant hop additions until flame out. Once done I add it into the chilled wort, bringing it up to pitching temps, add yeast and bobs your uncle?!

Hey Argon

In relation to all the talk about NoChilling going on at the minute I just thought I'd try out my understanding of it all in reference to this recipe.

So if I were to no chill this recipe I should follow the recipe as is for everything up until the 20 min hop additions. So basically on brew day I will just add bittering additions and then cube it. When I'm then ready to pitch the yeast, I draw off my 3 litres or so of wort and boil for 20 mins adding all the relevant hop additions until flame out. Once done I add it into the chilled wort, bringing it up to pitching temps, add yeast and bobs your uncle?!
on Argons behalf...

Exactly (just don't forget the cube in the fridge bit). Follow the links in his signature. I have with this recipe and the beer was superb.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll have to report back here when its done... hopefully to say how awesome it came out

Next time I make this I'm not going to do any hop tea nonsense or dry hop in the keg, just going to dry hop in the fermenter for all late additions.

Next time I make this I'm not going to do any hop tea nonsense or dry hop in the keg, just going to dry hop in the fermenter for all late additions.
Are you suggesting a ferment hop? :p

Seriously though are you only going to do the goldings/chinook bittering addition and then dry hop the rest?

Yeah never been too much of a fan of the dry hop in the keg... keep getting inconsistent results. Now that the Grain Bulk Buy has been brought forward for this sat pickup, i'll be doing this in the next week or so. :beerbang:

Will be 2nd time ever using my brand new plate chiller, which should allow me to get a great late hop presence... looking forward to it.

Are you suggesting a ferment hop? :p

Seriously though are you only going to do the goldings/chinook bittering addition and then dry hop the rest?

Haha no.

I only do EKG bittering for this.

I'll be doing the usual late additions, however I won't be trying to make a 'hop tea' or dry hopping in the keg. Both of those additions will be dry hop in the fermenter additions. From memory it was 50g hop tea and 30g keg hop so 80g fermenter dry hop instead.

Reason is I got nothing from the tea hop, waste of hops and time, if anything it made it taste worse, and the keg hops are okay but not needed, I dry hopped 90g Amarillo in an Obama IPA for 7 days in the fermenter and WOW that's some good dry hoppage. Will be heavily ferment-hopping all of my pale ales and IPA's now instead of dicking around with god damn voile bags and coffee plungers and other nonsense!

35l8f3m.jpg

Keg just blew.....

2gvvtpg.png

but the next batch has been in the fermenter for three days.

Great recipe argon :icon_cheers:

Did a double batch last night, giving the new pump a run. Took ages to chill down to pitching temp, even with a recircing chiller. Dropped out of utilisation zone pretty quickly though... so should have a nice fresh hop character. Especially considering i got sonme fresh Cascade and Chinook from the states especially for it.

Happy to have a hoppy pale on for the new year.
:icon_cheers:

I might have a go at this beer soon..... sounds good!

I have never read this thread.....but all the discussion on EKG for bittering, it makes perfect sence.

American hops tend to give a harsh bitterness, making the beer a bit chalky and tannic on the tongue.

EKG has a smooth bitterness and will add a subtle floral ballance to all the late citrus and pine that will add enough tang to the beer without harsh bitterness.

Another winning combo in summer quaffing pale ales is EKG and SAAZ.....mixed 50/50 and used in a late 40 min boil and some 5 min from flame out..... its very nice!

Floral and spice ballance.

Now i need to order Chinook.... something else i have never used :p

Yeah, and the latest Beer & Brewer has a guy from Little Creatures giving an 'example' recipe to clone LCPA. He says it's not exactly the same but close enough. The hops are EKG for bittering and late Galaxy and Cascade (mostly Cascade). He suggests Chinook would be a good alternative for the Galaxy too.

I'd say the original recipe was Chinook and they now use Galaxy. Cascade is clearly the most important hop.

I don't think there should be any confusion any more, it's definitely EKG for bittering, and Tony I agree that it makes a smoother bittering hop.

I might have a go at this beer soon..... sounds good!

I have never read this thread.....but all the discussion on EKG for bittering, it makes perfect sence.

American hops tend to give a harsh bitterness, making the beer a bit chalky and tannic on the tongue.

EKG has a smooth bitterness and will add a subtle floral ballance to all the late citrus and pine that will add enough tang to the beer without harsh bitterness.

My thoughts are that they probably only use EKG in the boil (with perhaps a touch of something else to bump the IBU) and the rest goes in the hot whirlpool, hop back then dry hop.

So i guess the 20min addition is an approximate of the whirlpool (I know Jamil advocates this) and everything else is a replication of a hop back. Then dry hopped.

One day i'll get myself a hop back and do it just like that and see how i go.

Another winning combo in summer quaffing pale ales is EKG and SAAZ.....mixed 50/50 and used in a late 40 min boil and some 5 min from flame out..... its very nice!

Floral and spice ballance.

Now i need to order Chinook.... something else i have never used :p

Give it a go mate... would be good to hear your impressions of the beer. Can't believe you've never used Chinook! :icon_drunk:

Argon - I could kiss you!

Just filtered and kegged a double batch of your recipe as per the DB yesterday. Carbed up a "test" bottle while filtering and I am soooo happy with it.

I will bring a bottle or 2 to BABBs Wednesday if you are there to get your thoughts on it's comparison to what you have made.

Argon - I could kiss you!

Unless you're a hot blonde... FEMALE! I'll have to decline. But thanks anyways.

Just filtered and kegged a double batch of your recipe as per the DB yesterday. Carbed up a "test" bottle while filtering and I am soooo happy with it.

I will bring a bottle or 2 to BABBs Wednesday if you are there to get your thoughts on it's comparison to what you have made.

Yeah i'll be at BABBs... keen to try yours, as my latest i think has a yeast issue that is not quite right.

Unless you're a hot blonde... FEMALE! I'll have to decline. But thanks anyways.
I've been called a lot of things, but I'm somewhat sure that's not one of them... ;)

Back