RecipeDB - Little Fella's Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I can't rave about this enough. Do it. Dry hops and all - the chinook on the palate and the cascade on the nose...fantastic. Yes, it is a big hoppy beer, unapologetically so. If you decide next time to drop the IBU's and lose the dry hops you will undoubtedly have a tasty beer, but I would recomend seeing this one through. 4 weeks in the bottle and it is gold.

edit: Argon (or anyone) - have you tried doing the first bittering addition at 45 mins or less but using more chinook/ekg to make up the IBUs - like doing more of a hopburst thing with it? I suppose it might not be true to what it is replicating but it could be interesting...I might try that on the next one (scheduled for 4 weeks time from now hee hee).

Good one mate... Chuck it all in... You won't regret it!

I'm sure you've just posted here for confirmation of what you wanted to do anyway. Hope it turn out great. I have a batch going right now, dryhoppng in the next day or 2. :icon_drool2:

Good one mate... Chuck it all in... You won't regret it!

I'm sure you've just posted here for confirmation of what you wanted to do anyway. Hope it turn out great. I have a batch going right now, dryhoppng in the next day or 2. :icon_drool2:

I have dry hopped it as prescribed (little) fellas!

Yeah, I was ultimately planning on the dry hop but was getting shy... Most of my brews to date have been quite hoppy apas and so far I haven't managed to get much of a balance of flavours in any of the recipes I have been using. I had actually promised myself I would be conservative on the next apa to test out the theory that "less is more"

Having said that, I love LCPA (although recent purchases have disappointed me) and I just can't resist seeing this one through as many on here are raving about this recipe :D

Thanks for the input guys :beer:

Kegged, filtered, carbed... sampled last night. Don't think it's quite hoppy or bitter enough. Malt backbone is really coming through though. Might dry hop the keg tonight with 1.5 - 2g/L Cascade flowers to get a little more aroma. Will have to take some photos tonight of the beer in the glass, cause it's such a good looking beer.

It may be a tad sweet, as when i did a mahout infusion the temp only got to 70-71C so not sure it denatured the enymes. May have left a little too much body in the beer compared to how i wanted it... although it did finish at 1010, so not sure.

I made this the other day. Changed it a bit though. Used MO as the base malt and fermented with 1272. Everything was going well. got good efficiency etc.. cubed happy days. Until i picked the cube up and it sucked in a heap of air. bugger. I wasn't quite ready to ferment. Didn't have a starter ready. Oh well. After lots of flapping about it looks as though it has finished up at 1010. I'm going to keg and carbonate and dry hop in the keg. I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

Well... After 1 week naturally bottle conditioning I just had to sneak a test. :chug:

WOW!!! Blow me down fellas, this reecipe is an absolute corker. It tastes more to me like (my memory of) LCPA than the stuff I buy at the pub these days :beerbang: Of course it is still a little bit sweet from the priming sugar and will definitely benefit from a few more weeks aging but still impressive all the same.

The funny thing is, I thought the hop schedule was quite aggressive but it's not too much at all. I think some of my failed recipes have used too much of the wrong hops. If I had used Amarillo, Simcoe and even Citra at the same hopping levels as this recipe I think it would have been a very different story!!

Thanks for all of your help.

Rockenfugginroll my friend. This is my once every 8 weeks brew. Love it. The chinook is an uppercut to the chin of mediocrity and the cascade is the wild left hook to the jaw. Can't wait to try it brewed with the hops growing on my fence!!!

I was planning for 100% true to the recipe although I did realise after brew day that my recipe is slightly different. I didn't have carapils and thought it was cool to sub for light crystal, turns out carapils is very different indeed!! That sweetness I'm getting might be from the crystal and not the residual priming sugar.

I have carapils so next time (and there will be a next time!) I'll do it 100% :p

Well... After 1 week naturally bottle conditioning I just had to sneak a test. :chug:

WOW!!! Blow me down fellas, this reecipe is an absolute corker. It tastes more to me like (my memory of) LCPA than the stuff I buy at the pub these days :beerbang: Of course it is still a little bit sweet from the priming sugar and will definitely benefit from a few more weeks aging but still impressive all the same.

The funny thing is, I thought the hop schedule was quite aggressive but it's not too much at all. I think some of my failed recipes have used too much of the wrong hops. If I had used Amarillo, Simcoe and even Citra at the same hopping levels as this recipe I think it would have been a very different story!!

Thanks for all of your help.

Great to hear mate... just keep chucking that chinook and cascade in there... it'll do you no harm!!

Report back in a few weeks when the bottles have hit their straps... hopefully that sweetness will drop off a touch and let even more chinook/cascade goodness come through.
:icon_cheers:

Everyone's probably sick of seeing my name at the end of thread titles...but f*ck it, it's sample night and I'm offering some thoughts.

Latest version of LFPA, very happy. Now when it comes to chinook, I'm as big, if not bigger fan than many, but my final boil and dry hop additions I skewed in favour of cascade by 5 gms and also used Wy1272.

Very happy indeed.

After a bit of time in the keg the latest batch is really starting to come good. On first samples I was left wondering, "where are the hops?" I was getting nothing but some bitterness and good whack of malt. Seems now as though they've awoken. Loving it... Now getting aromas of fruity cascade, grapefruit chinook all backed up with some nice sweet malt... Really nicely balanced.

This is a strange recipe really... On paper it looks like it should blow your head off with bitterness and late hops... But the balance is unreal. If you can't tell already I'm fairly happy with how things have turned out.

My biggest problem from here is trying to make the keg last. :chug:

The major issue i have with this recipe is that it makes me wish i had the equipment for double batches.

Hello Argon,
Thanks for the recipe. Just a couple of questions.
The recipe says that the 0 min additions are dry hopped.
Are they added to the fermenter at the end of fermentation, added to the fermenter when CC'ing, or added to the keg when racked?
If they are added to the fermenter or keg, how do you normally do it?
Can the hops be chucked into the keg commando or are they put in a bag or something, just don't want to get bits of hops coming out of the tap when pouring.
Cheers
Spud

Hello Argon,
Thanks for the recipe. Just a couple of questions.
The recipe says that the 0 min additions are dry hopped.
Are they added to the fermenter at the end of fermentation, added to the fermenter when CC'ing, or added to the keg when racked?
If they are added to the fermenter or keg, how do you normally do it?
Can the hops be chucked into the keg commando or are they put in a bag or something, just don't want to get bits of hops coming out of the tap when pouring.
Cheers
Spud

The recipe is just dry hopped after primary. Typically when i dry hop, i just chuck em straight into primary a few days before crash chilling. No bag, just throw em in untethered.

I also occasionally keg hop. I've done it before with pellets... ended up with a few floaties. When i keg hop now, i only do it with plugs or flowers and always in a small voile bag with an SS weight.

Thanks for the reply Argon,
will give this recipe a try. Have only started drinking LCPA the last 6 months. Loved it on tap and have bought a few slabs. At $55 a slab, if I can make a similar drop I would be very happy. I have never dry hopped before hence the questions. I suppose the same method of dry hopping could be used for the english pale ales I brew. I suppose dry hopping this way gives plenty of aroma, does it also give alot of hop taste?
Cheers

you do get some hop taste... but mainly aroma. Chinook and Cascade combine really nicely and give a nice fresh grassy, piney type of dry hop taste and aroma, that i really enjoy.

BTW... this recipe is an attempt at a clone at LCPA when they used to use Chinook. These days they use Galaxy, which is what you'd have sampled. Have a read through this thread for some links and quotes explaining.

Yeah, I have read through the pages and saw that. I did try it a few years ago but can't remember much about it.
Thought I would brew the recipe with chinook and then try galaxy and see what I like best.

Back