RecipeDB - Finnish Sahti

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epe

Reaction score

Finnish Sahti

Specialty - American Amber Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Mash at 68 degrees celsius for 3 hours .Ferment at 20 degrees celsius .Sahti is not carbonated at all, it should matured for 1 to 2 weeks in a cold place (1-7 degrees Celsius) and consumed within a month. In sahti brewing, the wort isn't normally boiled but the mash is brougt to a quick boil before lautering. Sahti has a huge body because the wort is never boiled for a long time. Very little hops are used; a hardly noticeable amount of some aromatic hops can be used. In the olden days sahti was filtered through a layer of sraw and juniper and juniper water was also used for sparging so sahti has had a junipery bitterness to it. All brewers dont't use juniper. Sahti is very fruity; banana and clove like phenols are very typical. Some weizen or trappist yeast would do well. Normally sahti is fermented using fresh finnish baking yeast. The girst contains normally some rye; you can add 500 grams of some rye malt to the girst.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
7.5 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.5 kg JWM Crystal 140

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

100 ml Wyeast Labs 1214 - Belgian Ale
20L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.082 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.021 (calc)
  • Bitterness 1.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 65%
  • Alcohol 7.97%
  • Colour 26 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

No juniper in the recipe?

I've tried proper sahti and would love to try to replicate it again some time at home. I wonder if I can get someone to send me over some of the yeast....

Yeah, my understanding was that the branches were used as a filter post boil. The sahtis that I tried also had some wild yeast flavours to them

Mastership winning sahtis have been brewed without juniper. Use juniper branches with or without berries; plain berries give an undesired ginny taste.

Yeast that can be bought is quite a new thing so I dont have any idea what kind of yeast flavours sahti had in the past. Probably quite a range as people had their own strains. The nowadays used baking yeast happens to have same kind of flavour profile as weizenstarkbier or trappist yeasts but it's actually a bit less bananaphenolic.

The same brand of yeast is sold dried and it's supposed to be the same strain.

Latest posts

Back