RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have been known to put a plug of styrians into a keg of this. :icon_drool2:
a Styrian plug weighed down so it sits next to the pick up tube is a wonderful thing :icon_drool2:

Hmm, Dr S I've often wondered about the tea ball for a plug in the keg, you don't find that the plug swelling (or rather being constrained from doing so) inside such a small enclosure can lead to poor transfer of the essentials? When ever I've rehydrated a plug the hops swelled to much, much more than the volume of one of those, but if you feel that it works and I can find my tea ball, I'll just go and open the lid of a cornie out back and drop one in right away!

Hmm, Dr S I've often wondered about the tea ball for a plug in the keg, you don't find that the plug swelling (or rather being constrained from doing so) inside such a small enclosure can lead to poor transfer of the essentials? When ever I've rehydrated a plug the hops swelled to much, much more than the volume of one of those, but if you feel that it works and I can find my tea ball, I'll just go and open the lid of a cornie out back and drop one in right away!

Has always worked fine for me.

The only time i have come undone is when i literally dropped the teaball in and it came undone when it hit the bottom. So i added some fishing wire to it to lower it gently to the bottom.

Never had it expand and open the teaball.

Dr S just finished off your "landlord" #4 i put 60g of Simpsons imperial malt in,gave it a nice bready/biscuit flavour,probably not to style,but very nice!
Those hop balls are hard to find C.B dont stock them anymore! might try G&G. Stryian plug in the keg sounds :icon_drool2:
Landlord#5 is fermenting away!!
Cheers

Dr S just finished off your "landlord" #4 i put 60g of Simpsons imperial malt in,gave it a nice bready/biscuit flavour,probably not to style,but very nice!
Those hop balls are hard to find C.B dont stock them anymore! might try G&G. Stryian plug in the keg sounds :icon_drool2:
Landlord#5 is fermenting away!!
Cheers

Teas.com.au sell them.

The only time i have come undone is when i literally dropped the teaball in and it came undone when it hit the bottom. So i added some fishing wire to it to lower it gently to the bottom.

Ta, many thanks for that DrS. :icon_cheers:
Yeah, also had visions of the ball opening and hops cones going everywhere and doing their work brilliantly, then promptly migrating to the beer out inlet for a world of pain- a keg full of awesome DSL and no means to dispense it! :eek:
Can't find that tea ball here anywhere though :( , so in the morning I'll slip by the local tea merchants for a new one (have seen them there before), occasionally see them at two buck stores, also Asian groceries and the likes are worth a look.

I bought a couple of tea balls from a kitchen shop for the purpose of adding hops to the keg but found after a few months use the hinge rotted? and the balls were no longer useful. I havent bothered since to replace them or try anything else. Luckily they broke while washing them after use but I had visions of them opening while full of hops in the keg and blocking the pickup.

That was my experience anyway.

Merry Christmas

Bugger me just thought I would say just kegged my attempt at this and have to say its one of the best beers I have made!

Love 1469! My go at a hop tea didn't work next time I make this I will dry hop instead!

Awesome recipe smurto!

Just about to chuck down my first LAndlord. I have Simpsons GP, Heritage Crystal and a 2 week old pack of 1469 ready to go. Can't wait. :beerbang:

Is the fishing line only used to lower the tea ball safely or do you remove the tea ball of hops from your keg after a period of time?

Is the fishing line only used to lower the tea ball safely or do you remove the tea ball of hops from your keg after a period of time?

Just to lower it.

Or you could be clever and put the teaball in the empty kega nd rack the beer on top of it but I've never been that clever :rolleyes:

Just to lower it.

Or you could be clever and put the teaball in the empty kega nd rack the beer on top of it but I've never been that clever :rolleyes:

If you were that clever or organised wouldn't you just put the hop ball in the fermenter or is there a noticeable flavour difference between the two methods?

I've also noticed you grow your own Goldings and was wondering if you have ever used these in this recipe?

If you were that clever or organised wouldn't you just put the hop ball in the fermenter or is there a noticeable flavour difference between the two methods?

I've also noticed you grow your own Goldings and was wondering if you have ever used these in this recipe?

If i plan to dry hop then i do it in secondary, its only when i have the beer on tap and decide it needs more hop aroma that i use a teaball and that hasn't happened for a while now.

I did grow my own goldings but due to space constraints (not land area but the fact the chinook is taking over the entire garden) I removed the goldings last season and no longer grow it. When i did have goldings i used it in this recipe but didn't use stryian goldings as i wanted to get the flavour of just the homegrown goldings. They were nice, very different to EKG (more stonefruit flavours) but in the end I had to consolidate my hop plantation down to 2-3 varieties and it just couldn't compete with chinook and victoria.

but when the keg is empty wouldnt it be at the bottom?

I think the idea of the fishing line is to lower the tea ball gently to the bottom to prevent the ball opening up from the force of hitting the bottom. a float would work quite well.

Dr S,
I am keen to try your (amended?) recipe. I BIAB and no chill. I have put some figures through Brew Mate but have a dillema. I add my hops into a hop bag and remove them from the wort before the no chill, so I don't tick the no chill box in Brew Mate. Should I still add the EKG and Stygians @ 20, or into the cube? I should probably have posted a question about whether or not to tick the box on the AG thread, and I will, but have been following you through 19 pages (over the last couple of days) and took the plunge. I hope this makes sense,
Bob

Latest posts

Back