RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did an ESB a couple of days ago as follows:

1000 grams Joe White Signature Ale
3000 grams raw wheat (Scout variety) coarse flour
100 grams dark crystal
100 grams Bairds brown malt
20 grams roast barley

About 70 grams of Dwarf (tetraploid) Cluster for bittering
200 grams (sifted down to 100 grams) Golding at 64C as it cooled

Step mash 50C, 60C, 63C, 70C. Started with 20 litres of water and no sparge.

minute gentle boil

15 litres at 1062 plus about 1.5 litres extra that I used for a starter

Fermenting half with S04 and half with Wy1318

My recipe works out to 150 grams of dark crystal per a 23 litre batch, which is what it has in common with Smurto's recipe on page 1. I tried to use all English type spec malts. The Golding had a phenomenal tangy apricot aroma. Grew the hops and wheat myself. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Don't need a long boil because it's ale malt, and malt only makes up a small percentage of the grist, so likelihood of dms is low.

I'm planning to grind the flour finer and try a debranching rest at 40C to see if I can improve yield

Edit: Temp at which I added Golding hops.

Last edited:
Hmm got back took a sample 1018 sg was a littie higher than the original 1058 been 15 day ferment should i expect it to go lower temp been constant 16 c raised to 18 2 days i should i keg it and move on.

100 grams dark crystal
20 grams roast barley

minute gentle boil

My recipe works out to 150 grams of dark crystal per a 23 litre batch, which is what it has in common with Smurto's recipe on page 1. I tried to use all English type spec malts. The Golding had a phenomenal tangy apricot aroma. Grew the hops and wheat myself. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Don't need a long boil because it's ale malt, and malt only makes up a small percentage of the grist, so likelihood of dms is low.

I'm planning to grind the flour finer and try a debranching rest at 40C to see if I can improve yield

Far out thats a lotta wheat how did the sparge go

Latest version.
4 kg golden promise
600g caramunich ll 50L
150g caararoma
150g adiculated
40g fuggles@ 40
25g ekg@ 20
25g styrians@ 5
OG 1045
EBC 23
IBU 30
Yeast was WLP 005 couldnt get any yorkie.
Cold condition 5th day atm will keg today force carb and taste.
Many say is best enjoyed young but what is too young?

I think a week is about minimum for bitter on gas (2 in a bottle) to get the C02 into the beer it has a fair bit of influence on the final taste of the beer, 3 is better but thats a long wait.....

100 grams dark crystal
20 grams roast barley

minute gentle boil

Hoppy interested in how this turned out as im looking to make an ESB

Original recipe hit all the numbers.....except FG.
Took a hydrometer sample today after 11 days at 17c and it’s down to 1006 !!!
Tastes good. Will bottle it Sunday.
is it going to be thin and dry? I might try my other (coopers) hydrometer before bottling just to be sure.

Latest version.
4 kg golden promise
600g caramunich ll 50L
150g caararoma
150g adiculated
40g fuggles@ 40
25g ekg@ 20
25g styrians@ 5
OG 1045
EBC 23
IBU 30
Yeast was WLP 005 couldnt get any yorkie.
Cold condition 5th day atm will keg today force carb and taste.
Hi Brad,
Quick question - was this your latest version recipe for the Landlord or was it the Dr's?

Love this recipe. Thanks Dr S, wherever you may be.

My latest batch used Verdant IPA yeast. I’d read commentary that this yeast was a bit similar to Yorkshire 1469.

Now I love WY1469, but the Verdant has got something very pleasing going on. It seems roughly in the same ballpark.

I pitched the yeast and fermented at the bottom of the published range- 0.5 g/l and 18’. Finished in 9 days.

Very tasty off the fermenter and first early sample from kegging today is promising.

Anyone else tried this? Thoughts?

Love this recipe. Thanks Dr S, wherever you may be.

My latest batch used Verdant IPA yeast. I’d read commentary that this yeast was a bit similar to Yorkshire 1469.

Now I love WY1469, but the Verdant has got something very pleasing going on. It seems roughly in the same ballpark.

I pitched the yeast and fermented at the bottom of the published range- 0.5 g/l and 18’. Finished in 9 days.

Very tasty off the fermenter and first early sample from kegging today is promising.

Anyone else tried this? Thoughts?
I like my English bitters too, though not tried this recipe, I wouldn't have thought of using the verdant yeast in this beer but as 1469 is my favorite for bitters I will give the verdant a go. I just did a pacific ale with the verdant and that is very nice too

Definitely worth trying, it's a simple but cracking recipe. It was my first ever all grain brew, and still one of the best Ive made.

I don't think I used 1469, it was probably 1968 (the wyeast ESB strain) but was still an amazing beer.

I haven't brewed for a while, but hopefully will get back into it next year, and this will be one of the first I make.

JD

Latest version.
4 kg golden promise
600g caramunich ll 50L
150g caararoma
150g adiculated

Noting the acidulated malt along with that much crystal, does your water lean on the alkaline side? Do you know the mash pH?

Back