RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah my 60yr old mother likes this! Award winning version, Amarillo with carahell as the crystal.

Amazing how many people say they dont drink beer, then if you can convnce them to taste DSGA type of beer its usually oh wow i could actually drink that, i didnt know beer could taste like that?
It is a very well balanced grain bill and hopping schedule, only made 3 incarnations of this so far, but i think its something i am going to do more with slightly different grains, rye included.

Off topic - but turns out my mother also likes MG Rare Breed IPA that i am drinking at the moment :blink:

+1 on the WYEAST 1272 American Ale II. I've just cracked a keg I brewed a few weeks ago with 1272. Friggin awesome

Hah my 60yr old mother likes this! Award winning version, Amarillo with carahell as the crystal.

Amazing how many people say they dont drink beer, then if you can convnce them to taste DSGA type of beer its usually oh wow i could actually drink that, i didnt know beer could taste like that?
It is a very well balanced grain bill and hopping schedule, only made 3 incarnations of this so far, but i think its something i am going to do more with slightly different grains, rye included.

Off topic - but turns out my mother also likes MG Rare Breed IPA that i am drinking at the moment :blink:

She's your mother. She'll like anything you make :lol: :lol:

Plan on cooking up this brew soon, but only have 30 grams of amarillo, I do have some northern brewer left, do you think I could use both or just buy some more amarillo. ?

Edit :- have challenger as well

mmm rye. Haven't used it in any non black beer but pretty keen to. Love what it brings to a stout party!

Have a look at this

You can change base malt, change to your fave hop variety/ies (IBU is balanced, just adjust quantity for that).

But I reckon the rye (and comments public and private have indicated so) is about perfect balance wise.

The Roggenweiss was an 80/20 wheat/rye split. Yum.

Goomba

Have a look at this

You can change base malt, change to your fave hop variety/ies (IBU is balanced, just adjust quantity for that).

But I reckon the rye (and comments public and private have indicated so) is about perfect balance wise.

The Roggenweiss was an 80/20 wheat/rye split. Yum.

Goomba

Yum looks very nice! Might go with cascade and galaxy (I have heaps) but yeah i'll give this one a go thanks Goomba.

I am going to have a go at making the extarct version with the ingrediants I have in the picture. I am not sure if I have purchased the correct ingrediants can anyone confirm pls?

brew.JPG

It will make beer but you have got a can of light malt extract instead of wheat, if you add the extra dme you have, you will get a heavier beer with a more malted profile

I think you may have confused the caramalt for dme
Caramalt is a spec grain that you steep in water then add to the wort
Also have you got your hop additions of Amarillo?

Up to you if you wanna make to a tee or if you wanna change it up a little bit
Either way you make 'beer'

I am going to have a go at making the extarct version with the ingrediants I have in the picture. I am not sure if I have purchased the correct ingrediants can anyone confirm pls?

Rye is the best non-spec malt to use for spec. Seriously good in APA, sets off a weiss gorgeously.

I very rarely brew a golden ale with wheat anymore.

20% rye in this beer with a range of hops works a treat, cascade and galaxy are very nice together but my personal favourite is Victoria.

EDIT - @MitchJazz, you need wheat malt extract not light malt. You will still get a nice beer. I wouldn't add extra extract though. The 2 tins made up to 20L is what you want. 250g of a light/medium crystal grain is also nice.

Here is the kit recipe from the notes in the recipeDB.

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

thanks guys. Im goint ot make a 40 litre batch. I dont have the wheat malt so i i will try this next time. I have also found 250 grams of malt crystal grain (ebc115-145) do you think is should use it?

plan of attack is:

2 x Coopers Sparkling ale
2 x Coopers LIGHT malt extract
250 grams malt crystal grain
30g amarillo @ 15, 5 and 30g dry hop
2 packets us-05 yeast
ferment round 21 degress

Making 40 litres.

Does this look ok?

Wow! Just wow... Dr Smurto, you are my hero. Made 20 litres of this brew and it was first successful batch of beer after messing up so many, I must say I'm bloody relieved! After 5 weeks in the bottle, this beer is highly sessionable... great head retention, the citrus from the Amarillo is dancing on my tongue and the toffee malt flavours are mellowed and very nicely balanced. I've showed a few friends and they were impressed, even made a comparison to the JSGA and they preferred the homebrew.

Just a couple of questions - I love the Amarillo in this one, if I leave the batch for another 3 weeks (2 months overall), will the hops die down a bit? In other words, should I drink the beer now while the hops are still fresh or try and be patient for a few more weeks? The bottles are 750ml longnecks (I've heard that conditioning takes longer in these than stubbies, unsure if this is a wives tale). In all honesty is there a significant improvement in flavour between the 5 week and 8 week mark?
Also, here is the recipe I made:

1.5kg Wheat malt extract (liquid)
250 g Crystal Malt
20g amarillo at 15mins
20g amarillo at 5mins
Yeast: US-05

Could I bump up the amarillo additions to add more hop character without making the flavour too offensive? Eg: Two lots of amarillo at 25g and a dry hop. Just wanting the Amarillo to cut through a little more. Anyway, I'm over the moon that I can brew two cartons of beer for $40 that easily surpasses the quality of beer priced at twice that amount in the Marcro market. This will be a regular for sure, need to invest in another fermenter I think :D

Hey DrS just wanted you opinion on this version I'll be doing soonish.
Cheers

Total for 1.0 batch: 52lt
5.62 kg Golden Promise Malt
1.87 kg Rye Malt
1.87 kg Vienna Malt
0.59 kg Caramunich TYPE I
Amarillo fw-20g
Galaxy fw-10g
Amarillo, 40min 10g
Galaxy, 40min 10g
Amarillo20min 20g
Galaxy 20min 10g
Amarillo 0min 20g
Galaxy 0min 20g

200.0 mL WYeast 1272 American Ale II™

Amarillo and galaxy hopped at:

First wort, 40min,20min, cool to 80deg then hop for steeping.

IBU-36

My latest golden (in the keg right now) all of a sudden lost all its flavour, so I have just hop tea'd 37g into the keg to try and revive some of the lost flavour. It has only been in the keg for 2 months. Back on 100kpa and I'll know the results in 24 hours. :beerbang:

Wow! Just wow... Dr Smurto, you are my hero. Made 20 litres of this brew and it was first successful batch of beer after messing up so many, I must say I'm bloody relieved! After 5 weeks in the bottle, this beer is highly sessionable... great head retention, the citrus from the Amarillo is dancing on my tongue and the toffee malt flavours are mellowed and very nicely balanced. I've showed a few friends and they were impressed, even made a comparison to the JSGA and they preferred the homebrew.

Just a couple of questions - I love the Amarillo in this one, if I leave the batch for another 3 weeks (2 months overall), will the hops die down a bit? In other words, should I drink the beer now while the hops are still fresh or try and be patient for a few more weeks? The bottles are 750ml longnecks (I've heard that conditioning takes longer in these than stubbies, unsure if this is a wives tale). In all honesty is there a significant improvement in flavour between the 5 week and 8 week mark?
Also, here is the recipe I made:

1.5kg Wheat malt extract (liquid)
250 g Crystal Malt
20g amarillo at 15mins
20g amarillo at 5mins
Yeast: US-05

Could I bump up the amarillo additions to add more hop character without making the flavour too offensive? Eg: Two lots of amarillo at 25g and a dry hop. Just wanting the Amarillo to cut through a little more. Anyway, I'm over the moon that I can brew two cartons of beer for $40 that easily surpasses the quality of beer priced at twice that amount in the Marcro market. This will be a regular for sure, need to invest in another fermenter I think :D

Yes you can wait another few weeks/months and the flavours will develop/change. For my taste the hop aroma drops off but the malt/toffee character starts to shine through a bit more. Some like more hop, others less. Leave some aside and see what you think.

Yes, adding more hops will push the flavour and aroma. 25g instead of 20g additions isn't go to make it offensive to non HB drinkers.

Hey DrS just wanted you opinion on this version I'll be doing soonish.
Cheers

Total for 1.0 batch: 52lt
5.62 kg Golden Promise Malt
1.87 kg Rye Malt
1.87 kg Vienna Malt
0.59 kg Caramunich TYPE I
Amarillo fw-20g
Galaxy fw-10g
Amarillo, 40min 10g
Galaxy, 40min 10g
Amarillo20min 20g
Galaxy 20min 10g
Amarillo 0min 20g
Galaxy 0min 20g

200.0 mL WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Amarillo and galaxy hopped at:

First wort, 40min,20min, cool to 80deg then hop for steeping.

IBU-36

You have me craving a beer before lunch on a Monday morning so I think that would be a big tick!

I love the combination of rye and vienna in this beer. I haven't used GP in a GA yet but just bought a bag of the Fawcetts GP so plenty of beer to try it in. Hop combination is a good one and the yeast a very good choice.

I'd personally wind the IBU back to 30, that for me is where the balance lies in this recipe. You could increase the mash temp to 67-68 instead and see if you can get it to finish a few points higher to balance the extra IBU.

Latest posts

Back