RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great recipe Dr. Brewed it the other week and kegged it yesterday. Thankfully there was an extra L or two left in the fermenter so I had a few drinks while finishing off the LCPA clone brew. Looking forward to this weekend when it should be carbed.

I very rarely brew a golden ale with wheat anymore.

so do you mean you take out all of the wheat addition and use rye?

thanks

Yes.

My favourite version/house ale is

55% Thomas Fawcetts MO
20% Wey rye
20% Wey vienna
5% Wey Carabohemian
Magnum @ 60
Victoria 2g/L @ 20
Victoria 2g/l @ 0
WY1272

I brew the wheat/amarillo/US05 version for mates.

The 55/20/20/5 grist is one i use for a lot of beers.

Thinking of doing this recipe and replacing the amarillo in all or part with Bramling Cross.

Am I nuts or should I do okay?

Just having a glass of one of these now. After having smashed my usual glass thermometer, I stuffed up the mash by using an uncalibrated temporary digital replacement [(that I later found to be 2c higher than actual) - assuming my new lab spirit thermometers are accurate anyway.] :(

Considering I managed a single infusion at 68c and a resultant FG of 1.014, it's still a well balanced beer. It's a bit chewy and feels too sweet for style, but the characteristics and complexity of a JSGA are there and you can tell it would be a winner if it were dryer. I've got the grain in stock to make another one and am really looking forward to it!

A question for the DR: If I split my alpha and beta amalyse rests, what rest periods and temperatures would you recommend to get a similar (but slightly higher attenuating) result to a 66c infusion?

PS: Good to see you putting your home grown Victoria to a noble use.

Cheers

so do you mean you take out all of the wheat addition and use rye?

thanks

Yes.

My favourite version/house ale is

55% Thomas Fawcetts MO
20% Wey rye
20% Wey vienna
5% Wey Carabohemian
Magnum @ 60
Victoria 2g/L @ 20
Victoria 2g/l @ 0
WY1272

I brew the wheat/amarillo/US05 version for mates.

The 55/20/20/5 grist is one i use for a lot of beers.

At the risk of drifting off topic, what AA% do you estimate your Victoria at? 2g/L@20 leaves little room for any magnum, unless your IBU target is very high. What IBU IS your target? My mouth is watering just reading this recipe.

Thinking of doing this recipe and replacing the amarillo in all or part with Bramling Cross.

Am I nuts or should I do okay?

Bramling X is a hop i like but have never used it with this grist, i generally use it in an english bitter with a good english yeast. I don't think you are nuts but you are doing something that hadn't crossed my mind. Try it and report back.

Just having a glass of one of these now. After having smashed my usual glass thermometer, I stuffed up the mash by using an uncalibrated temporary digital replacement [(that I later found to be 2c higher than actual) - assuming my new lab spirit thermometers are accurate anyway.] :(

Considering I managed a single infusion at 68c and a resultant FG of 1.014, it's still a well balanced beer. It's a bit chewy and feels too sweet for style, but the characteristics and complexity of a JSGA are there and you can tell it would be a winner if it were dryer. I've got the grain in stock to make another one and am really looking forward to it!

A question for the DR: If I split my alpha and beta amalyse rests, what rest periods and temperatures would you recommend to get a similar (but slightly higher attenuating) result to a 66c infusion?

PS: Good to see you putting your home grown Victoria to a noble use.

Cheers

I've never done multiple mash steps in this beer. If i did it would probably be 64-65 for 60 and 70 for 20. Given you missed the desired mash temp by 2C I would repeat with a 66C mash before playing about with multiple rests. This finishes at 1.012 for me with a 66C mash. I have had it finish at 1.010 but that was a re-pitch of a lot of yeast.

At the risk of drifting off topic, what AA% do you estimate your Victoria at? 2g/L@20 leaves little room for any magnum, unless your IBU target is very high. What IBU IS your target? My mouth is watering just reading this recipe.

Checked my recipe and I used 2g/L @ 15 with an estimated AA% of 10.0. That required a 60 min addition of Magnum of 5g (0.25g/L) at AA% of 14 for a total IBU of 32.8. If i shift it to 20 mins i still need 2g of Magnum.

This is my first brew ever. Did the recipe according to the DB and got my first reading of 1031 pre boil and 1045 post. Pretty chuffed. Cannot wait to see what it tastes like.

Oh and the house smells like Amarillo :D:D:D

Bramling X is a hop i like but have never used it with this grist, i generally use it in an english bitter with a good english yeast. I don't think you are nuts but you are doing something that hadn't crossed my mind. Try it and report back.

Will do - am planning to put it down next weekend when I get back to Brissy (soon as the girlfriend lets me out of bed ;) )

I would absolutely love to get this brew going. I am looking to start my all-grain soon (still researching building my all-grain setup).

I should be ready to start soon so I went looking for the ingredients. The cheapest I can seem to find these ingredients is $45 (without the hops as I already have them) I am still looking at getting them as I would like to start but I was wondering how does everyone do it so cheap. I keep hearing people saying the whole thing costs roughly $1/L where as mine will cost more like $3/L with the price of the hops included?

I would absolutely love to get this brew going. I am looking to start my all-grain soon (still researching building my all-grain setup).

I should be ready to start soon so I went looking for the ingredients. The cheapest I can seem to find these ingredients is $45 (without the hops as I already have them) I am still looking at getting them as I would like to start but I was wondering how does everyone do it so cheap. I keep hearing people saying the whole thing costs roughly $1/L where as mine will cost more like $3/L with the price of the hops included?

Many of us buy our grain and hops in bulk which is how it becomes $1/L or thereabouts.

$45 seems expensive, have you tried any of the sponsors? Shipping cost will be probably be what hurts you.

Buying grain and hops in bulk and re-using yeast will get you down towards the $1/L mark.

There's normally a few bulk buys happening each year with local brew clubs/areas which you can keep your eye open for to start making some savings on ingredients

Sponge

EDIT: Beaten by DrS. As he said, $45 for a ~22L brew seems quite expensive. $45 should be getting you a heavily hopped, alcoholic IPA

Thanks guys.

I thought it seemed expensive. I calculated the prices from craftbrewer (had great dealings with before) and the postage is what kills it. I think without the hops it was roughly $25 which is quite reasonable for a first go, but then the postage gets me.

Might have to look at finding some other brewers who are willing to help share the cost of some bulk grains.

Thanks,

Thanks guys.

I thought it seemed expensive. I calculated the prices from craftbrewer (had great dealings with before) and the postage is what kills it. I think without the hops it was roughly $25 which is quite reasonable for a first go, but then the postage gets me.

Might have to look at finding some other brewers who are willing to help share the cost of some bulk grains.

Thanks,
Sorry to be a bit :icon_offtopic: Mattyra google Markshomebrew in Newcastle its costs $12 for 25kg delivered to your door im in Sydney call him and ask!!
P.S the Drs Golden Ale and his Landlord are my 2 house beers! cant beat em :icon_drool2:

Sorry to be a bit :icon_offtopic: Mattyra google Markshomebrew in Newcastle its costs $12 for 25kg delivered to your door im in Sydney call him and ask!!
P.S the Drs Golden Ale and his Landlord are my 2 house beers! cant beat em :icon_drool2:

+1 for Mark's Homebrew.

All my dealings with him have been very positive.

Also try Absolute Hombrew (.com.au) in St Marys

With the hops from CradtBrewer consider buying 450g at a time and chucking the rest in the fridge for next time ;)

$12 is really cheap, what is this for? base malt?

mashing now, i partial brew at the moment so subbed most of the pils malt for 1kg briess golden dme. otherwise it's the same. this will be the first pale ale i have on tap, bet it doesn't last long.

cheers Dr.S

-Phill

Latest posts

Back