RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As this is going to be my first AG brew, I've only got the one 30L fermenter at this stage. So I think what I'll do is just leave it in the fermenter for a tad longer. 2.5 weeks perhaps.

I will also be individually priming my bottles so again no real short cuts for me unfortunately.

I've noticed there are a few different variations of this recipe going round. The one on BeerSmith seems to have different quantities of grain, and some people have said to use different types of grain altogether. I guess with something like this anything really goes?

There are a number of variations, 2 of which i have converted to pdf (links in my signature).

I brew the 'award winning' version for my annual boys camping trip - I'm not allowed to attend without at least 1 keg of it.

When brewing for me i prefer the rye/vienna version instead of wheat/munich and use whatever hop i have, more often that not that would be homegrown victoria or chinook.

Yeast preference is WY1272.

Bottled Dr Smurto's golden ale today after 3 weeks in primary. Tasted brilliant straight from FV. Can't wait to drink this when it's ready. Can see myself doing DSGA and Tony's bright ale on alternating months.

I've made this a few times but want to try a Amarillo/Cascade combo....

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice Amarillo/Cascade ratio? I think I read 50/50 many posts ago? Looking for a balance between the two...

I've made this a few times but want to try a Amarillo/Cascade combo....

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice Amarillo/Cascade ratio? I think I read 50/50 many posts ago? Looking for a balance between the two...

50/50 for flavour and aroma works a treat.

If using these for bittering I'd use amarillo over cascade, i find cascade too harsh as a bittering hop.

That said, i use magnum for bittering as a general rule.

Brewed 4 cubes of this today. Used Citra for bittering and flavour/aroma hops and adding Citra and Cascade at dry hop.

I have just finished reading all 41 pages, wow that took a while! B) I brewed this up last weekend, and put it into the cube. I tried the rye version so i will report back to how I find it. I thought I might also add it was only my second BIAB with my first being Doc's TTL which I have fermenting ATM :kooi: I went with the 60min addition and the 20min but I forgot my 0 min addition :ph34r: so I am going to do a mini hop aroma steep with a little bit of wort that I collected and throw it into the fermenter with the rest of the cube. I'm going to decide, after a few days in the fermenter, whether im going to dry hop mine as I really like a hoppy beer.

Cheers DrSmurto

Aydan

Bottled Dr Smurto's golden ale today after 3 weeks in primary. Tasted brilliant straight from FV. Can't wait to drink this when it's ready. Can see myself doing DSGA and Tony's bright ale on alternating months.

Couldn't wait to try this, so I'm drinking this after just three weeks in the bottle. Can't believe how good it tastes after such a short time conditioning. Great mouthfeel and aroma too. Thanks Dr S.

Kegged this last nite and tried tonite!! Bloody awesome simple beer

Its a beer id serve to homebrew bagging mates, and i guarantee they would drink it im sure.

Highly recommend the wheat / Munich version cant see it lasting long.

Kegged this last nite and tried tonite!! Bloody awesome simple beer

Its a beer id serve to homebrew bagging mates, and i guarantee they would drink it im sure.

Highly recommend the wheat / Munich version cant see it lasting long.

I have 2 fermenters of this at the moment in preparation for my boys camping tree in T-23 days (but whose counting :p )

Went the 'award winning' version with a few extra grains thrown in to use up ends of bags.

Opened the fridge this morning and got belted with that lovely amarillo aroma. Will be tough having to drink this for a few days sitting around a campfire :chug:

When using the US05 yeast (as recommended in the recipes) will I be fine pitching dry? Should i use one packet or two?

This is my first AG so hoping to avoid rehydrating and running into potential problems.

Also will I run into blockage problems when I'm transferring from the kettle to my fermenter, having used hop pellets? Ive got a s/s kettle with ballvalve. Will things be ok with a quick whirlpool perhaps?

Sorry if this has all been covered.

Thanks.

Pitching dry will work fine if you follow the instructions, remember to shake the fermentor to aerate the wort.

If you whirlpool properly, you shouldn't have any problems with hops blocking your tap.

As this is going to be my first AG brew, I've only got the one 30L fermenter at this stage. So I think what I'll do is just leave it in the fermenter for a tad longer. 2.5 weeks perhaps.

I will also be individually priming my bottles so again no real short cuts for me unfortunately.

I've noticed there are a few different variations of this recipe going round. The one on BeerSmith seems to have different quantities of grain, and some people have said to use different types of grain altogether. I guess with something like this anything really goes?

less than 20 bucks for a 21 litre cube and you will have yourself a few more options for brewing. Bulk priming will improve your consistency and remove 62 steps from your process...gives you something to rack to etc etc.
If you are jumping into AG, I strongly advise it.

I've actually managed to pick up another 30L fermenter so I will be racking to it after 14 days in primary - hoping this will give me a clearer beer also.

If I want to bulk prime, would this be a suitable time to do it? As you rack into secondary for the recommended 7 days? Or is bulk priming done just before bottling...?

I've actually managed to pick up another 30L fermenter so I will be racking to it after 14 days in primary - hoping this will give me a clearer beer also.

If I want to bulk prime, would this be a suitable time to do it? As you rack into secondary for the recommended 7 days? Or is bulk priming done just before bottling...?

If you add more sugar and leave it for 7 days, the yeast will just ferment it (unless you keep the beer cold). Bulk prime right before bottling. Dissolve your priming sugar in boiled water first, add the syrup to the beer, stir gently (take care not to aerate or disturb the trub too much at this stage) and give it a few minutes to disperse, then bottle.

Bulk priming is done just before bottling, if you put it in a week before hand the yeast will just eat it all up and you'll most likely have flat beer

god dam it squirt

Back