RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knocked up the K&K version of this and tried a bottle last night (8 days after bottling because I read Golden Ale is better fresh) although it wasn't as carbonated as I'd like yet, had a great creamy head that wouldn't go away and the taste was nothing short of perfect, far better than any commerical beer. Quite dangerous though, took a lot of willpower not to down schooner after schooner.

Top drop! Thanks for sharing your recipe! :icon_cheers:

I'm really going to have to knock up a small amount of the AG version.

Got my first ag tomorrow and am about to order the grain for this one soon, might use a different hop schedule as don't have enough Amarillo. :kooi:

If you about to order the grain why not just add on a pack of Amarillo with it?

thanks for the helps peoples,

going to have a crack at this in the not to distant future :)

I think i might just put it off for a week, and buy everything in one go. Cheers :)

I brewed a batch of this using Cascade instead of Amarillo (had half a kilo of Cascade in the freezer and no Amarillo). Turned out a very nice beer, just opened the first bottle before. Going to brew a batch next weekend using Amarillo though, looking forward to it.

:icon_offtopic: The bottle I just opened is the first time I've used Polyclar. Man, that stuff's the goods!! :D

I gave the kits and bits a crack yesterday. My first step towards AG. All went reasonably well with the make up, lost a couple of grains into the stockpot, thanks to a dodgy colander. Might have to invest in some voile cloth, heck might just have to go straight into BIAB for the next go :D My OG was a little higher than the original receipe and it looked a little darker than a golden ale, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

In the fermenter now, just have to wait.

I am getting ready for a brew day this Saturday, & this recipe is looking very likly to be one I'll do.

I am not quite set up for full AG yet, but my partials are turning out nicely, so I was figuring the following partial based upon the original recipe in the DB & the kit version:

* Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale (1.7kg)
* 0.8kg Pale Wheat
* 0.4kg Munich
* 0.25 Caramunich
* 1.0kg Pilsner

That makes up 2.45kg of grain ... as I normally use 2.5kg for my partial mashes I figured that looks right.
The hop schedule will be as per the recipe in the DB.

Does this look right for a partial version of this recipe?

Well 7 weeks later I have a nice clear & clean tasting beer in my keg (2 weeks in fermenter - 5 sitting in refrigerated keg).

I made a rookie mistake of skimming my boil after putting in the hop additions, so I think this greatly affected the hop aroma & flavour - however I was able to adjust that to my satisfaction by making up an amarillo hop tea & adding that to the fermenter - did that about a week and a half ago & the aroma/flavour has rounded out nicely.

I am now looking forward to setting myself up for AG (even if it starts as BIAB) and doing this recipe again!

Just brewed this as my first all-grain attempt. Absolutely fantastic 5-star brew.

It's probably written somewhere in the previous 29 pages of comments, however... to what extent are you folk carbonating at? I carbonated my bottles to the ESB english ale standard (1.3 volumes). I quite like the mouthfeel of this brew at low carbonation. What are your thoughts on a higher carbonation?

Cheers.

Just brewed this as my first all-grain attempt. Absolutely fantastic 5-star brew.

It's probably written somewhere in the previous 29 pages of comments, however... to what extent are you folk carbonating at? I carbonated my bottles to the ESB english ale standard (1.3 volumes). I quite like the mouthfeel of this brew at low carbonation. What are your thoughts on a higher carbonation?

Cheers.

Nice! I love a beer at the lower end of carbonation. My keg system is set to run at 1.8 volumes, i tend to bottle around 2.0-2.2 for this beer on the rare occasion it gets bottled.

Sort of cross-linking topics here, but am commenting on my first AG attempt at this recipe...

My efforts on DrSmurtos GA recipe I am reserving my judgement on for now ... letting it clear up a bit - but my initial impressions of what I turned out was that my mash temp might have dropped a bit as the end product feels a bit thin and lacking in malt character ... the Amarillo hop flavour and aroma however is there at a level that I like.
<--- first taste was 6 days ago

Couldn't help but pour a few glasses of these tonight ... once left for a week to settle in the keg I really notice the difference. In particular I am now recognising the finer malt flavours of the pilsner malt ... yes I think pilsner malt is going to become a favourite of mine ... reminds me of some nice German lagers & Oktoberfest.

My initial tasting as quoted above mentions lack of malt & thin-ness ... maybe that was due to yeast flavour masking the pilsner malt at the time, but now I have a wonderful flavour fuision of malt & hops that lingers after each mouthful.
:chug:

Made this one again myself last week, only thing I changed was the bitter hop addition from 60 minutes to 40 minutes to try and squeeze a bit more flavour out of it. The beer is still in the fermenter, but from what i can tell from the samples, the Amarillo flavour of this years crop is a bit of a let down, so I've dry hopped as well.

Still a tasty beer but this crop lets it down a bit, might use centennial in it next time for something different :beerbang:

Put my order in with Ross @ CB, planning a 1/2 size stovetop BIAB of this recipe as my next brew.

This is my first kit and extract brew.
Having never smelt hops before I was surprised at the intensity of the Amarillo pellets! Even now, my kitchen fridge has a distinctly 'herbal' aroma to it and the strength of the hops smell coming out of the fermenter is also surprising.

Does the beer smell this strongly in the glass? I haven't added the final 15g of pellets yet, and I don't get this strength of aroma from JSGA. I want to stay with the receipe to see how it turns out but I'm starting to think I don't want much more aroma...

Put it down yesterday, using Nottingham as the HBS was out of US05, and it's bubbling away quite strongly at 20 degrees. (HBS said Nottingham at 20 degrees should do the same job as US05).

String - Being new to the game, I too was taken by the "in your face" nature of the aroma. It does die down, but is still pretty out there compared to a store bought ale. See it through, try to taste the other aspects of the beer as you drink it (bitterness, malt etc). 2 glasses in you'll be a convert.
Edit - My final hop addition was at flameout, so your secondary dry hop will differ from my experience.

This is my first kit and extract brew.
Having never smelt hops before I was surprised at the intensity of the Amarillo pellets! Even now, my kitchen fridge has a distinctly 'herbal' aroma to it and the strength of the hops smell coming out of the fermenter is also surprising.

Does the beer smell this strongly in the glass? I haven't added the final 15g of pellets yet, and I don't get this strength of aroma from JSGA. I want to stay with the receipe to see how it turns out but I'm starting to think I don't want much more aroma...

Put it down yesterday, using Nottingham as the HBS was out of US05, and it's bubbling away quite strongly at 20 degrees. (HBS said Nottingham at 20 degrees should do the same job as US05).

This recipe has more hop flavour than JSGA.

That said, if this is all new to you i would skip the dry hopping and see what you think.

Nottinghman is not the same as US05. US05 highlights the hops, Nottingham mutes them.

This may work in your favour as it will produce a milder hop flavour.

Next time i would suggest US05 and see if you can pick the difference - the hops should stand out a bit more.

I have dry hopped in the primary fermenter is this OK?

That is a regular practice by many brewers ... so I'd say yes :)
In the end it comes down to did it achieve a result that you like.

Latest posts

Back