RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah rotten - I know what you are talking about there (recipe specifies dry hop in secondary) ... I had alredy done the brew last night... but as he said, the award winning one didn't use dry hopping, just in at flameout & chilled - still providing a nice level of aroma ... as that is what I did then I am still optimistic for a great result :)

I fed some of these to my brother-in-law yesterday.

All the way down the glass he kept saying: Geez, this is a good beer.

Then he asked: Did you really brew this?

Of course, I had to modestly admit that I had indeed brewed this beer.

No glory to me, but all the kudos to DrSmurto.

Ok im a little confused?...I have the grain for this and will be making on wed....
Is the award winning beer........hops........... 20g @ 60mins.......30g @ 20 mins..........then 15g......turn heat off untill cool enough for yeast?

Ok im a little confused?...I have the grain for this and will be making on wed....
Is the award winning beer........hops........... 20g @ 60mins.......30g @ 20 mins..........then 15g......turn heat off untill cool enough for yeast?

Almost. Hop schedule is correct but the recipe assumes you are chillling the wort down using something other than nature once you turn the heat off.

If you are no chilling there are discussions about whether you need to adjust the hops to cube hops.

If i was to no chill this recipe (and that will happen shortly after pigs have evolved, grown wings and learned how to fly) I would be skipping the flameout addition and either dry hopping or steeping some hops in boiled water and then straining into the fermenter after fermentation has finished.

Almost. Hop schedule is correct but the recipe assumes you are chillling the wort down using something other than nature once you turn the heat off.

If you are no chilling there are discussions about whether you need to adjust the hops to cube hops.

If i was to no chill this recipe (and that will happen shortly after pigs have evolved, grown wings and learned how to fly) I would be skipping the flameout addition and either dry hopping or steeping some hops in boiled water and then straining into the fermenter after fermentation has finished.

Thanks DrSmurto

I will be chilling my pot down in the laundry sink with lots of ice water.

I had an award winning bottle of this last night, (as in the recipe DB it says Bottle Cond for 2 months)
Mine has been bottled for 2 months and about a week, i dont care what anyone says, it is definitely at it peak.
So tasty, to easy to drink.

2 Months!!!? Well when the ferment is finished its going in the keg and im drinking it 2 days after that! ;)

I had an award winning bottle of this last night, (as in the recipe DB it says Bottle Cond for 2 months)
Mine has been bottled for 2 months and about a week, i dont care what anyone says, it is definitely at it peak.
So tasty, to easy to drink.

Glad to hear your patience was rewarded, i think this beer does get better with age, to a point. :icon_cheers:

Okay bare with me for I think I am about to make an idiot of myself. I have been salivating reading 28, yep all 28 pages :D. But I am confused I have done some K & K and some Extract brews but I have never used Caralmalt as is used in the Recipe. I am going to have a go at making the kit version of this but after reading all the comments I still am not sure as to what I am meant to do with the Caramalt. I gather it is steeped and then boiled with the Kit wort and whilst doing this make my hop additions. But I did notice at one stage someone mentioned cracked Caramalt. Now does that mean when I buy the Caramalt it will already be cracked? and if not how would I go about cracking it (Mortar and pestle)? If someone could answer my questions or let me know in a "Caramalt for Dummies" like flow chart it would be greatly appreciated :)

I made this recipe using a kits and bits method with some advice from Dr Smurto. In terms of the grain I bought the grain precracked from Craftbrewer (minimum 500g but thats cool, it is a handy malt to have). Here is the advice from the man himself:

"How you go about this depends on your pot size but my standard procedure back in the kit brewing days was to use a 6 pack esky to steep the grain in. If you use 2 parts boiling water to 1 part tap water you should get water with a temp of between 65-70C which is great for steeping grain in. Mix ~1L of this temp water with the crushed caramalt (or other crystal malt) and let steep for up to an hour. Drain through a colander and pout the grain back in the esky with another 1L of 65-70C water. Stir and drain straight away.

I used a large stockpot for brewing in back then, i think its 16L so i would then add the 2L of liquor from steeping the grain and top up with another 6L of boiling water. Add the can of coopers wheat malt and bring to the boil. Add 15g of amarillo and boil for 10 mins. Add another 15g of amarillo and boil for a further 5 mins. Turn off the heat. Add the can of sparkling ale and mix thoroughly. Cool this pot down, i found it was easiest to sit it in a sink of cold water. Strain into fermenter and top up to 20L (not 23L). Once the temp is below 22C add the yeast. Try to keep the temp between 18-20C ideally, up to 22C is OK. Leave it in the fermenter for at least 7 days if racking, 14 days if not. I dont dry hop anymore as i find the aroma is good without it."

Came out brilliantly!

I made this recipe using a kits and bits method with some advice from Dr Smurto. In terms of the grain I bought the grain precracked from Craftbrewer (minimum 500g but thats cool, it is a handy malt to have). Here is the advice from the man himself:

"How you go about this depends on your pot size but my standard procedure back in the kit brewing days was to use a 6 pack esky to steep the grain in. If you use 2 parts boiling water to 1 part tap water you should get water with a temp of between 65-70C which is great for steeping grain in. Mix ~1L of this temp water with the crushed caramalt (or other crystal malt) and let steep for up to an hour. Drain through a colander and pout the grain back in the esky with another 1L of 65-70C water. Stir and drain straight away.

I used a large stockpot for brewing in back then, i think its 16L so i would then add the 2L of liquor from steeping the grain and top up with another 6L of boiling water. Add the can of coopers wheat malt and bring to the boil. Add 15g of amarillo and boil for 10 mins. Add another 15g of amarillo and boil for a further 5 mins. Turn off the heat. Add the can of sparkling ale and mix thoroughly. Cool this pot down, i found it was easiest to sit it in a sink of cold water. Strain into fermenter and top up to 20L (not 23L). Once the temp is below 22C add the yeast. Try to keep the temp between 18-20C ideally, up to 22C is OK. Leave it in the fermenter for at least 7 days if racking, 14 days if not. I dont dry hop anymore as i find the aroma is good without it."

Came out brilliantly!

Cheers thats exactly what I wanted to know.

I am getting ready for a brew day this Saturday, & this recipe is looking very likly to be one I'll do.

I am not quite set up for full AG yet, but my partials are turning out nicely, so I was figuring the following partial based upon the original recipe in the DB & the kit version:

* Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale (1.7kg)
* 0.8kg Pale Wheat
* 0.4kg Munich
* 0.25 Caramunich
* 1.0kg Pilsner

That makes up 2.45kg of grain ... as I normally use 2.5kg for my partial mashes I figured that looks right.
The hop schedule will be as per the recipe in the DB.

Does this look right for a partial version of this recipe?

Just kegged this one 10 mins ago ... OG was 1050 & FG 1010 - so that's not too shabby! :p

Whilst the aroma didn't have anywhere near the level of amarillo I was hoping for (aroma in the glass is almost neutral - after-taste/aroma is very mild) - it is nice and clean on the pallete, and has a hint of frutiness ... almost like a nice semillon.

Anyway, that is before it is carbed up and left to clear for a week or so ... I am sure I'll be sneaking a taste in now and again over the next week however :)

I did 3 kit batches of this & they were 3 of my better kit beers.

I wasn't planning on brewing an AG batch but I was low on ale malt & had heaps of pils so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I got a ******* cube infection in both cubes!

I assume that it was due to some sort of beer karma for no chilling one of Smurto's recipes, either that or the caked on goo in the ball valve that I found when I took it apart. Beer karma seems to be the more likely reason.

Smurto, you'll be glad to know that the cubes have recovered but if (when) I brew this again I'll make sure I chill it.

Pretty happy with how this turned out, considering first time AG (BIAB) plus chilled it overnight in the fermenting fridge plus no whirlfloc plus tipped all of the hot and cold (if any...) break into the fermenter.

After two weeks in the fermenter and four in bottles at 18 degrees, as well as a couple of hours in the fridge to get to drinking temp, here 'tis in my new (not really style appropriate, but I like it!) beer glass:

Smurto_GAle3.JPG

Now for round 2 - thinking I might increase carbonation slightly and will also be looking to remember to sterilise my chiller to get it down to pitching temp a bit quicker this time round

ok massively dumb question

for the kit version

how much water do you need to use for the boil for the hops??

Not a dumb question, I'm surprised you didn't get an answer sooner.

From my understanding, you want to boil as much as you can, I used to do about a 5L boil for kits. Use 100g of extract per litre of water I believe is a good rule of thumb.

@philw

Rule of thumb, use 5:1 water to grain ratio. So if the recipe says 250g Caramalt, mash in 1.25L of water, after your mash, boil the wort and add the hops as the schedule says.
Goodluck!

I apologise if this has already been answered, but way back towards the start of this thread, WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale was brought up - in regards to increasing the maltiness of this beer. Was wondering if anyone ever made DrSmurto's Golden Ale with WYeast 1332 or any other WYeast? If so, what were the results compared to using US-05?

I apologise if this has already been answered, but way back towards the start of this thread, WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale was brought up - in regards to increasing the maltiness of this beer. Was wondering if anyone ever made DrSmurto's Golden Ale with WYeast 1332 or any other WYeast? If so, what were the results compared to using US-05?

I've got one of these in primary right now that I've bastardised by bittering with Magnum (didn't have enough Amarillo), no-chilling and using Wyeast 1272. Never used it before so I'm not sure what to expect.

I've brewed the golden ale with US-05, WY1056, WY1272, Pacman (cant be arsed finding the WY#), WY1187, WY1469 and WY1026.

US05/WY1056 is probably the simplest for new brewers, a great balance of malt and hops.

Pacman and WY1272 for those looking for something a bit more interesting.

Back