RecipeDB - Dark Wheat Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the Wyeast 3068 yeast store like? I normally split up the trub from the first brew into 4 or 5 stubbies and carbonate them as normal. The I just pitch the lot next brew. I have heard that this yeast does not store so well?

I've never done a decoction before, though I have seen one done (at one of the christmas cases...). Perhaps I will give it a go- does it make a big difference?

Neither have I. Probably too lazy or too busy drinking by myself. :lol:

Tony,
How do your decoctions compare with a 6-step Wheatie mash schedule such as Zwickles?

TP :beer:

What does the Wyeast 3068 yeast store like? I normally split up the trub from the first brew into 4 or 5 stubbies and carbonate them as normal. The I just pitch the lot next brew. I have heard that this yeast does not store so well?
Yeah i've heard the same thing about this yeast not storing properly. i used it recently and didn't bother keeping any from the ferment due to this, but instead decided to get into doing slants instead, so used a bit of the packet yeast for the slants hoping that'll work okay.

This recipe seems like it's got some good reviews going for it, so maybe i'll do it for my next brew and see how i go using my first slant.

Al

Works ok for me Steve. Still got 2 x 1st generation in tubes after nearly 22 months & the last one took off ok about 3 months ago. When I use the second last tube (Not long now) I will farm the yeast & split into 5 or 6 second generations.

TP :beer:

3068..... im my experience does go down hill with sucessive pitchings. Best to split the smack pack and grow it fresh in a starter each time.

Decoctions. Touchy sunbect on here. Yes thew were born from necesity with poorly modified malt and yes.......... with todays malts, its not "needed" but have you ever had a run in a car with more that 300kw? Its not needed, but done corectly it does make a difference. It gives you that bit of wow factor.

I have done a heap of decoctions and if done corectly (i stress the word "corectly) thay add a fantastic maltiness to the beer without adding body and "cloyingness" associated with high mash temps usually used to acheive the same thing.

I think the secret with decoction mashing is to mash cooler than you normaly would. The process of slowly raising the pulled thick mash through the temperature range to boil adds more than enough body to make up for a lower mash temp.

I like to knock 2 or 3 deg's off what i would normally mash at for my rest temps.

My process:

mash in at 2.5 l/kg at 52 deg and immediatly pull amount required for next temp step when boiling. Promash works thes out for you in the complex mash scheduler. Raise the temp of the pulled thick mash (mostly grain with enough liquid to keep it fluid) to 66 deg. Hold there for 15 min to convert and then slowly raise it to boiling. Gently simmer for 10 to 15 min and pour back in the main mash and mix like hell.

At this point you will have half a bar from the smell of boiling mash and also notice the colour development!

Rest it at the desired temp........ for a wheat i use 63 to 64 for 30 min and pull a thin decoction (liquid only) and bring strait to the boil. Add this back in to acheive 71 deg and rest for 10 to 20 min and then mash out at this temp.

Sparge as normal

Thats all i do and it adds a deep maltiness with the beer being crisp and refreshing. Thats the difference.

Oh...... you will get a deeper more saturated type colour the the beer too.

cheers

+1 on that, when I get to making this one, I'll certainly make a point of doing a decoction- partly because I have never done it before, but also because I'm curious about it.

These are only my findings from doing them, stuffing them up and stumbling on a simple decoction process that works well.

I have done them with a main rest at around 67 as i would for some body and they only attenuated to 1.022. I thought about this and mashed it at 63 and with the decoction i get attenuation like i mashed at 66 but the maltiness.... and more of a 68 deg mash. Malty dry....... its the only way to get it and melanoiden does not substitute. I hate the stuff.

hope this all helps a bit :)

cheers

PS..... havnt done one in a while, might make the next Dunkelweizen a decoction

Fellows.. B)

This will be my first go at a Wheaty. Everyone I talk to say that they are hard....Why is that?

Are they not so 'forgiving'. Is going to 'Wheat'- like going to the DARK side? :ph34r:

SS

This looks like a great recipe so I thought I'd have a go at it. Is it going to make any noticeable difference if I replace the Choc wheat with Choc barley? Given that it's less than 2% of the grain bill I wouldn't have thought it would matter, but I could be wrong.

+1 on that, when I get to making this one, I'll certainly make a point of doing a decoction- partly because I have never done it before, but also because I'm curious about it.

Man, that was a while ago. To follow up on this post, I made the beer and I loved it. Top recipe here, I recommend everyone give it a go.

This looks like a great recipe so I thought I'd have a go at it. Is it going to make any noticeable difference if I replace the Choc wheat with Choc barley? Given that it's less than 2% of the grain bill I wouldn't have thought it would matter, but I could be wrong.

Bump :icon_cheers:

no mate... should be fine!

Go for it

Kegged and drinking this fantastic beer, bit of a problem keeping my partner off it as she loves it too.
However played havoc with my urn. I BIAB, mashed at 44 66 73 and did 60 min boil. Grain milled at .8mm and using one of ross' new BIAB bags.Burnt the crap out of my element, took couple of nights soaking to get it cleaned , it is a concealed type. Don't have problems with other brews even withlonger boils. Anyone else experience this or have any pointers?

cheers
sean

Tony you're a legend. :icon_cheers:

Shhhhhh dont tell everyone :ph34r:

Actualy im just a bloke who makes beer...... legend is a bit far fetched....... so long as the beer is good im happy :)

cheers

Tony, thanks for the recipe... an absolute cracker.

Only one week in the bottle (was worried about carb level, so i opened one to be on the safe side)... bloody brilliant. best beer i have made yet. Cheers.

photo_3.JPG

awsome work.....and not a problem

Tony im out of Tett but I have a fair amount of saphir or spalt just wanted your opinion for subbing the Tett with either of these because I have not used much saphir before?
Cheers mate

Back