Recipedb - Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh you guys got it,

I don't want to give away exact figuresfor the grain bill out of loyalty (and also I cant remember!) but try with some flaked wheat and also cane sugar- at least that was in the grain bill at the old Leabrook plant 10+ years ago.

The ale yeast will attenuate down to 1.004 if its a pure culture in good condition and the sugar profile is right. A long maltose rest is a good start but you might want to try a mash out rest over 70 to make sure all the small starch granules are gelatinised.

Good luck and now I will disappear into the anonymity of the net..........

BREWER X

I've always thought Coopers should do a "Coopers Wheat" in a similar style to their sparkling, so thought I'd give this recipe a go but significantly upping the quantity of wheat.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I tweaked the recipe and added 500g Munich 2, 100g Melanoidin, 100g wheat malt, 100g dark crystal and 10% sugaz and did a taste test with my 2 lads with a couple of tallies of Sparkling from the pub, and a couple of tallies of mine and much preferred my maltier version.

I also ended up with more 'pear' than the commercial variety. Reason I upped the malt was because it was for an Aussie Pale Ale comp but the instructions were to produce and Aussie Pale with 'a twist' so my twist was to really hike up the malt aroma. I've also entered it in the current BABBs big comp so will be interested to get feedback.

On the starter question, tallies are currently three for $15 at Liquorland and I used two tallies to get the sample. Tough job but somebody had to do it.

A question more related to the style than to the specific recipe (but still on topic!):

Does anyone brew this beer using different hops for bittering? I have a shirtload of EKG and pacific hallertau. I know it wont be a clone, but if I bittered with EKG or pacific hallertau, and the rest of the recipe stayed the same, I imagine I would get a decent Aussie sparkling ale? After all, its yeast driven right?

Or is it an anchor steam type style where only the traditional hops really work? Doubt that given is no flavour hopping anyway.

I think if your not worried about it being a clone as such then the pacific hallertau would be nice, I can see it being very refreshing. EKG would would lend a nice earthy fruitiness to the beer and would be nice too.
Give it a whirl and tell us the results.

Andrew

Andrew, do you know what hops were used at coopers prior to the development of POR?

I think if your not worried about it being a clone as such then the pacific hallertau would be nice, I can see it being very refreshing. EKG would would lend a nice earthy fruitiness to the beer and would be nice too.
Give it a whirl and tell us the results.

Andrew

I'll give it a go with the p.hallertau and see how it comes out. I've got a kilo of them to get through. I think they will go well in an Alt as well, which I plan to brew ASAP.

I've always thought Coopers should do a "Coopers Wheat" in a similar style to their sparkling, so thought I'd give this recipe a go but significantly upping the quantity of wheat.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I am planning something like this: 50% wheat, 40% JW trad, 7% sugar, 3% crystal. OG about 1.042. Bitter to about 22IBU, ferment with Cooper's bottle yeast. I think the yeast has enough character to make it an interesting brew.

Andrew, do you know what hops were used at coopers prior to the development of POR?

EKG I would assume Butters, correct me if I'm wrong though.

You know I think Fuggles would be awesome in this recipe, that great earthiness with the bready yeast would be nice.

Andrew

EKG I would assume Butters, correct me if I'm wrong though.

You know I think Fuggles would be awesome in this recipe, that great earthiness with the bready yeast would be nice.

Andrew

I really don't know either, which is why I asked. I would have assumed ekg or fuggle. You're right about the fuggle going nice with this yeast, though. I've used coopers recultured yeast a few times in simple pale beers (not clones). I've used it with Northern Brewer and fuggle in combination, when clearing bits and bobs, as well as fuggle on it's own. Noice.

I understand that Australian breweries have long had a preference for some of the USA hops such as Cluster (still used in XXXX) and would guess that the varieties grown in Tas and Victoria would have been intermingled with UK ancestors as well. POR was bred from Pride of Kent IIRC.

Feedback in the comp: it was judged nice and malty but possibly suffering a bit from age. It had been brewed for a comp a couple of months ago but never got entered so possibly it would have been judged better young. I still have a keg of it so when we connect that up to my new Kegerator on Sunday (whohooooo :) ) we'll know better.

Wish I had a keg of it now BribieG, good to see your tweaks produced something nice, but what the? beer in a keg for a couple of months :eek: your starting to sound like me.

Wish I had a keg of it now BribieG, good to see your tweaks produced something nice, but what the? beer in a keg for a couple of months :eek: your starting to sound like me.
Yes, bought my 4 keg deal and was about to order a kegerator when my son (I think you know about the situation IIRC) wrote his car off so he was into me for quite a few hundred dollars to top up his insurance payout. However I came into a bit of dough last Saturday cough cough so now have a couple of kegfuls hopefully nicely matured (including a superTTL ) :) to put in my new kegerator ex Craftbrewer. The man himself and Chappo will be installing it and the first one out of the spigot will be the Coopers. :icon_cheers:

I really don't know either, which is why I asked. I would have assumed ekg or fuggle. You're right about the fuggle going nice with this yeast, though. I've used coopers recultured yeast a few times in simple pale beers (not clones). I've used it with Northern Brewer and fuggle in combination, when clearing bits and bobs, as well as fuggle on it's own. Noice.

Butters, I just found out from Coopers that Kent hops were used originally, probably EKG, up until 1881 when NZ hops were added to the mix and we all know what happened when POR was finally developed.

Cheers
Andrew

Butters, I just found out from Coopers that Kent hops were used originally, probably EKG, up until 1881 when NZ hops were added to the mix and we all know what happened when POR was finally developed.

Cheers
Andrew

Yes it became an Aussie Ale instead of a English copy.....and bloody good on ya too cobber :lol: :party:
I can imagine EKG shipped from the UK in 1881, yumbo! Fresh hops must have been so good.

Batz

Cheers
Andrew

cool. Thanks for that.

Yes it became an Aussie Ale instead of a English copy.....and bloody good on ya too cobber :lol: :party:
I can imagine EKG shipped from the UK in 1881, yumbo! Fresh hops must have been so good.

Batz

Hey Batz, imagine what the Ales were like that traveled that far :icon_vomit:
Bet the settlers would have loved the drop produced now.

Andrew

Andrew
I'm brewing more or less your version today without the Munich and Melanoidin that I used in my comp entry - however I have some malts that need using up, how do you reckon it would go with 4kg of BB Pale Pilsener plus 500g Golden Promise? I've heard of people doing Coopers attempts with pilsener malt. Also for the wheat, which I haven't got in stock, I'm doing precisely what I do with polenta and using some semolina as an adjunct, gelatinised first of course :icon_cheers:

PS I used some semolina in a CAP that's currently fermenting because the D.I.L. flogged half of my last pack of polenta to make some Italian concoction. What a waste of good polenta :p . The wort turned out lovely and clear.

Looks like a cracker.

When culturing a coopers bottle - is it better to use a 750ml bottle, and is it worth doing if you can't source a super fresh bottle? Best I can seem to get is best after march 09. Might be able to find a fresher one hopefully.

I had this explained to me this week in words of one syllable so I could understand.
The Pale Ale yeast has always seemed easier to culture than the Sparkling, here's why.

The Sparkling bottles are aged longer by Coopers before release, and the yeast deteriorates or dies.
The Pale Ale is always fresher from the brewery.

Longnecks are aged longer than stubbies.

The person telling me had found stubbies with a Best After date of 15th Oct and is was about Oct 20th,
so they were fresh as and cultured up great.

So search through the stubbies for Best After dates that are less than a month passed.

Also it seems to me that you're more likely to get good yeast still in the bottles in winter or spring,
any cases coming across from Adelaide this week are sure to be fried.

Latest posts

Back