Recipedb - Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew
I'm brewing more or less your version today without the Munich and Melanoidin that I used in my comp entry - however I have some malts that need using up, how do you reckon it would go with 4kg of BB Pale Pilsener plus 500g Golden Promise? I've heard of people doing Coopers attempts with pilsener malt. Also for the wheat, which I haven't got in stock, I'm doing precisely what I do with polenta and using some semolina as an adjunct, gelatinised first of course :icon_cheers:

PS I used some semolina in a CAP that's currently fermenting because the D.I.L. flogged half of my last pack of polenta to make some Italian concoction. What a waste of good polenta :p . The wort turned out lovely and clear.

Sorry Bribie I missed this completely, obviously it's too late for my thoughts on this brew but I will give them to you anyway.
Your changes will produce a nice beer I think, the Golden promise should help to adjust the slight color loss using the Pilsner malt as a base. I can't really comment too much on the semolina but considering it's made from Durum wheat I can't really see it would be a major problem, except it's not malted.
I'd be interested to hear how this turns out and what if any flavour contributions the semolina makes.
It won't be the same as my recipe but you'd think it would be in the ball park.

Cheers
Andrew

Hello Andrew

Knocking back a few of these at the moment. Going down well on a sunny Mildura Afternoon.

IMG_5006__Large_.jpg

I subbed out the dark crystal for some special b (all I had) and mashed at 64 (biab).

Very nice thank you

Hi AndrewQLD
I will try this recipe ,but andrew I was wondering you put 80gms of dark crystal , what would you use if you had 40l crystal instead ?, that's what I"ve have got
Cheers Phil :icon_drunk:

Hi AndrewQLD
I will try this recipe ,but andrew I was wondering you put 80gms of dark crystal , what would you use if you had 40l crystal instead ?, that's what I"ve have got
Cheers Phil :icon_drunk:

To be honest Phil it won't be the same. Although the dark crystal is used mainly for color adjustment it does impart some slight flavor characteristics that the lighter crystal will not match.

Cheers
Andrew

Apologies on the dead thread bump... but i'm about to start a beerday based on this recipe, and I have a quick question about the mash schedule as described in this recipe:

What's the reason for the "no mashout" specification? In this case, is it just a process thing, or does it actually play part in achieving "highly attenuative wort"?

I'm a little wary of dropping it, as my first two BIAB attempts were -well- under target gravity - and one of the (admittedly quite numerous, including the infamous "loss to trub" value in beersmith being set to 4-5L) was a skimping on the mashout stage of the mash...

You'll get a slightly more attenuative wort if you avoid using a mash out, it doesn't make a huge difference but from experience with this recipe every little bit counts and it is a couple of points you can shave of the F.G.

Andrew

Excellent, thank you.

Actually... while i've got the opportunity to ask: what temp would you suggest fermenting at with the re-cultured coopers bottle yeast?

Great, 18 is what i've used in the past too - thanks for the clarification

Latest posts

Back