Recipedb - Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score

Coopers Sparkling Ale Clone

Ale - English Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 9 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Mash regime for a highly attenuative wortStep Time Name Description Step Temp 5 min Mash In Add 18.48 L of water at 36.8 C 35.0 C 15 min Protien Rest Heat to 52.0 C over 10 min 52.0 C 60 min Sacch Rest Heat to 63.0 C over 10 min 63.0 C No Mash outDue to the limitations of the online recipe database you can go to the discussion thread and you will find a downloadable BeerSmith File and a text file with more accurate details
1st place QABC 2009 Aust. Pale Ale and Reserve Champion Beer of Show.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.3 kg BB Ale Malt
0.24 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.05 kg Bairds Dark Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
39 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Coopers - Cooper Ale

Misc

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.051 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 38.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 4.94%
  • Colour 12 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

View attachment CSA.bsm

IMG_0678.JPG

View attachment CSA.txt

Andrew,

What's the litre of Coopers Ale?

Cheers.

Andrew, first thing I noticed about the database recipe is the alc % which is below 5 percent, whilst in your above post you mention 5.8 as per the Coopers genuine article. Does this mean that the 'engine' behind the database is out of whack? I noticed when I posted a lightly hopped recipe (20g chinook for 90 mins) the database calculated some huge IBU that didn't seem right at all.

If the DB is a bit wobbly it's surely going to dissuade people from trying the recipes.

Andrew, first thing I noticed about the database recipe is the alc % which is below 5 percent, whilst in your above post you mention 5.8 as per the Coopers genuine article. Does this mean that the 'engine' behind the database is out of whack? I noticed when I posted a lightly hopped recipe (20g chinook for 90 mins) the database calculated some huge IBU that didn't seem right at all.

If the DB is a bit wobbly it's surely going to dissuade people from trying the recipes.

I've noticed a few discrepencies within the database, as you pointed out the attenuation seems out of whack as does the IBU calculations, also a lot of ingredients aren't there.
That's the reason I include a BSM file in the discussion thread, I think I might also include a text file.

Andrew

Thank you.
I've imported your recipe into my BeerSmith recipe file for future referenence/use.

I've noticed a few discrepencies within the database, as you pointed out the attenuation seems out of whack as does the IBU calculations, also a lot of ingredients aren't there.
That's the reason I include a BSM file in the discussion thread, I think I might also include a text file.

Andrew

That would be awesome for us Promash users.

Cheers.

Wow.... pretty close!

Some inside information perhaps???? Or just very good observations??

Your OG is a little high and FG is a little high too. Try starting at around 11.3 P and finishing at 1.2 P

And your right your missing a couple of things from the grist bill. See if you can answer this riddle???

You need to add something that .... is like snow but from goes with -Bix

Any more advice and I might be making it too easy.

Cheers

X

Wow.... pretty close!

Some inside information perhaps???? Or just very good observations??

Your OG is a little high and FG is a little high too. Try starting at around 11.3 P and finishing at 1.2 P

And your right your missing a couple of things from the grist bill. See if you can answer this riddle???

You need to add something that .... is like snow but from goes with -Bix

Any more advice and I might be making it too easy.

Cheers

X

First post hey <_<

Try starting at around 11.3 P and finishing at 1.2 P

Is that like 11:30pm :p

I don't get it :huh:

First post hey <_<

Try starting at around 11.3 P and finishing at 1.2 P

Is that like 11:30pm :p

I don't get it :huh:

Cracka, 11.3p (plato) is 1.046 and 1.2p is 1.005
And I think X is referring to some form of sugar
And I hate riddles too.

I'm wondering if his nick refers to an ex coopers employee.

I'd put Cane sugar on my 'weet' bix, dunno bout you guys.

Looks like a cracker.

When culturing a coopers bottle - is it better to use a 750ml bottle, and is it worth doing if you can't source a super fresh bottle? Best I can seem to get is best after march 09. Might be able to find a fresher one hopefully.

Foles, I usually use a couple of stubbies but a 750ml would work as well. Fresher is better but March 09 sounds pretty good to me and should fire up ok so long as the bottle has been treated well.
It can be a bit hit and miss at times.

Andrew

I'm wondering if his nick refers to an ex coopers employee.

I think you may be right. Read his name backwards ;)

I've brewed this a couple of times now Andrew, and it is a cracker.
Thanks for the recipe.

I'd put Cane sugar on my 'weet' bix, dunno bout you guys.

"like snow but from goes with -Bix" must mean "wheat flour", mustn't it?
... I would also have thought sugar was in the recipe though.

I'm openly unfamiliar with AG processes and all ingredients but I'd say the snow reference was to "flakes". Might not be at all relevant of course.

[EDIT: typos]

From memory the relatively recent BYO article and recipe on this beer had it finishing very low (3.5vol carbonation was recommended to help prevent it from seeming too thin, i think) and cane sugar was included to assist it finishing quite low.

Note this recipe was also a clone derived from trial error and a bit of research, not the difinitive Coopers recipe.

Cheers SJ

"like snow but from goes with -Bix" must mean "wheat flour", mustn't it?
... I would also have thought sugar was in the recipe though.

yeah i was gonna go with wheat, but snow i thought was a reference to the likeness of icing sugar to cocaine, haha...

Latest posts

Back