Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering what sort of FG's people have had on this recipe? I did this as my first BIAB a couple of weeks ago, but missed the SG of 1.044 and got 1.040 instead. I added 200g of cane sugar after it had been fermenting for a few days.

Its down to 1.010 now and doesnt seem to be dropping. I upped the temp from 15 to 18 and will leave for a little longer, but just curious if anyone has had it finished around 1.010?

Cheers

Haven't done this one but read earlier in the thread that people have got as low as 1.006.
Apparently the further you can get it down the closer it is to the real thing.
This recipe will get a go this weekend me thinks..
Just wondering what sort of FG's people have had on this recipe? I did this as my first BIAB a couple of weeks ago, but missed the SG of 1.044 and got 1.040 instead. I added 200g of cane sugar after it had been fermenting for a few days.

Its down to 1.010 now and doesnt seem to be dropping. I upped the temp from 15 to 18 and will leave for a little longer, but just curious if anyone has had it finished around 1.010?

Cheers

Jut upgraded my mash tun and plumbed a new HLT (old cheap aluminium pot fell apart, new one is much more sturdy).

This brew will be the maiden brew on a new system and the first for 2011. I've scaled it up manually as I don't use software that does it for me so hopefully I've got it pretty close.

Type: All grain
Size: 30 liters
Color: 4 HCU (~4 SRM)
Bitterness: 28 IBU
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 5.35kg JW Pilsner
300g JW Wheat malt
45g Simpsons dark crystal
Mash: 65 degrees, 70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes, SG 1.037, 40 liters
700g Cane sugar
Hops: 32g Pride of Ringwood flowers (10% AA, 60 min.)

1500mL starter reculture cooper's yeast

I cant believe how active this yeast is. I made a 1L starter from 3 stubbies and then upped it to a 1.5L and the stuff was going nuts. I pitched it and it was fermenting in 23L after about 5 hours. At 17.5 degrees it still crept right up out of the fermenter - its the most active krausen I have ever seen. And now I know what everyone was saying about the banana smell - I opened the fridge and it smelt like a banana farm - incredible. Fermented out quick too - it stopped bubbling after 4 days.

There are two things about brewing that facinate me - Mashing and fermenting. I just think it is amazing what yeast can do and all the different types available. Its understated what a difference to beer it can make when treated properly.

Hope my clone attempt of CPA works.

Jut upgraded my mash tun and plumbed a new HLT (old cheap aluminium pot fell apart, new one is much more sturdy).

This brew will be the maiden brew on a new system and the first for 2011. I've scaled it up manually as I don't use software that does it for me so hopefully I've got it pretty close.

Type: All grain
Size: 30 liters
Color: 4 HCU (~4 SRM)
Bitterness: 28 IBU
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)
Grain: 5.35kg JW Pilsner
300g JW Wheat malt
45g Simpsons dark crystal
Mash: 65 degrees, 70% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes, SG 1.037, 40 liters
700g Cane sugar
Hops: 32g Pride of Ringwood flowers (10% AA, 60 min.)

I reckon your alcohol will be fairly high with that OG, mash temp, sugar, etc. Might kill the quaffability?

Alc level/ OG:FG is the same as stated recipe (4.8%/1049:1012). Sugar is included in the calculation, not an extra. Mash temp is also the same as stated recipe, just the fermentable amounts are different to reflect my expected efficiency and a slightly larger volume size.

Manticle, if you feel confident that you can get your wort to attenuate down to 1.006 then I would suggest you drop the base malt down to 3 kg to give you an S.G of 1.043, that will give you the desired 4.8% abv.
If your not confident then leave the recipe as is for a F.G of 1.012 giving you 4.8% abv.

Andrew

Edit: I really need to update the recipe file.

3kg for 23 litre batch or 30 litre batch? I've scaled up a bit.

Most of my AG brews stop at 1012 although I have heard this yeast is a monster so I wouldn't be surprised if she eats through more.

I've already cracked and mixed the grain for tomorrow - I'll see what the OG is after brewing and dilute if necessary. I can also lessen the sugar addition if the pre-boil SG suggests - just have to remember to take a pre-boil reading.

How do you think my current grain bill without any cane sugar would go?

3kg for a 23lt batch with the sugar addition.
The yeast can be a monster and you will get a lower than usual FG, the grain bill without the sugar should be fine, just aim for 1.043 SG and you should get down to around 1/006-8, make sure you keep to 28 ibu, any higher and it can be too bitter.

The yeast can be a monster and you will get a lower than usual FG, the grain bill without the sugar should be fine, just aim for 1.043 SG and you should get down to around 1/006-8, make sure you keep to 28 ibu, any higher and it can be too bitter.

Hey Mate,

done a couple of batches and can't fault your clone, love it, just wonder what size starter you use, mine lack a little in the ester department compared to the real thing :unsure:

Thanks Andrew. I'll dump the sugar if I hit my targets and recalculate the hop addition.

Heating strike water at the moment - probably my last brew till February.

Ended up recalculating a 200g sugar addition. OG was 1040 so a bit under (maiden brew on new system).

Split into 2 17 L cubes. Cube 1 fired up very quickly, cube 2 seemed to struggle until I top cropped a bit of cube 1's krausen into it. Then they both went nuts - 1040 - 1005 in a few days. Yeast was pitched Monday. Both cubes sitting at 20.5 degrees and apart from the fact that they taste like green beer, they are both very much in line with Coopers.

Can't fault the recipe. If you like coopers, have a crack. I'll leave mine a few more days, then CC for a week or so.

Sounds great Manticle, good to see you managed to get the FG down so low, should give you a nice dry finish.

Andrew

I put this down on my new system the other day and based on the hydrometer samples im really looking forward to tasting.
Og 1.042 no sugar
2.5L starter(no stir plate)
1.042 down to 1.010 in three days at 17 degrees. Temp then increased to 20 degrees to finish off. Hopefully when i test it today its around 1.006. I was a little worried about the size of my yeast starter since once i crashed the starter there was only around 1mm of actual yeast settled out but it seems to have done the job so far. Will bring a bottle when I pick up the other bottles Andrew, will be interesting to see if the sugar makes much difference.

Mine will go into cold conditioning tomorrow morning so by the time I get back from Castlemaine next week she should be good to bottle. Might be in time to do a trade (although you'll need to wait for it to carb obviously).

You used the PoR flowers for yours?

Mine will go into cold conditioning tomorrow morning so by the time I get back from Castlemaine next week she should be good to bottle. Might be in time to do a trade (although you'll need to wait for it to carb obviously).

You used the PoR flowers for yours?

Yes mate the flowers i picked up from you last time. 25g @40. I reduced the addition to see if it makes any difference when no chilling. Will adjust up or down for next batch. I only put down 19 odd liters. The only beer the missus will drink is CPA so im sure i will have plenty of opportunity to play around with this recipe.

Hi,

Just made up this clone, but used medium crystal instead of dark, it tastes alright although not like an original CPA

Not sure whether its because i used hop pellets that have been stored in the freezer for 12months or because i used medium and not dark crystal?

Any Ideas Guys?

Kegged my first attempt at this beer 8 days ago...

Shamed to admit that the keg ran out last night - I had no help - this is not good.

I find it way to easy to smash 8 schooners of this within a couple of hours.

Its a great drop.

The one thing that brewing this beer has really showed me is the importance of yeast and its effects on the final product.

Thanks all for the help.

Mine is undercarbed for style but I prefer that. Did a side by side with a coopers commercial recently - similar but some differences. For starters this tastes a lot fresher (presumably because it is).

Damn tasty simple beer, great for summer and those people who wonder if you can brew 'normal beer'.

Goes down a treat, will brew again.

Latest posts

Back