Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I accidently exploded my 'last bottle' of this last night when quick chilling in the freezer. Miracously i just found another two bottles of it while looking for some cascde ale. :)

I cube a double batch of this stuff every second or third batch, so i'm surprised that i've run out again, but over chrissy it was a definite hit with the rellos.

My latest batch had a jumping spider in the mash and a massive golden orb spider in the boil, so it may have an extra bite. i googled both spiders and they are both relatively harmless, plus it was a double batch so the poison will be really spread out. Who knows, it may even make it better :)

About to give this recipe a go,

Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (48.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 29.12 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.85 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM)Grain 85.62 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.2 SRM) Grain 4.57 %
0.03 kg Crystal Dark Bairds (121.8 SRM) Grain 0.68 %
29.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9.13 %
1 Pkgs Coopers pale Ale Cultured [Starter 1000 mlYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 3.98 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 10.39 L of water at 68.9 C 63.0 C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this look ok?
Added cane sugar to try and thin the body and get FG down below 1010.
Going to use a 1lt starter.

Gave the recipe a go on the weekend, aimed for a 1.045 OG and nailed it! First time I have step mashed (BIAB step mashing is possible!) so hopefully the coopers yeast gets to a FG of around 1.008.

I had a taste this morning and the coopers pale flavour was prominent already which is great. My house mates are obsessed with coopers pale so if all goes well I will be brewing this one again.

How do coopers carb their kegs of pale? Do they add sugar or force carb? I thought using sugar and giving the keg a shake before pouring to give the cloudier appearance.

I did the step mash in the recipe and the fg has been as 1.010 for 2 days now... Gave it a bit of a rock and bumped up the temp a couple of degrees, hopefully it gets down a few more points!

It really tastes like CPA though! I am in trouble if my friends try it, they will be asking for it all the time....

Made this little beauty yesterday.

The day that shall be named ' The exploding 34L Demijohn. Featuring fresh wort on your kitchen floor.'

I don't really want to talk about it.

Alas today is a new day, and I'm giving it another go!! Wish me luck.

SS

I'm just boiling up a BIAB pot of this now.
The HBS said I wouldn't need whirlfloc if I wanted the standard cloudy appearance, but looking at the flecks of break floating around in the pot, I'm not so sure.

Will it settle out? Do I bolt up and get some whirlfloc? can I use the gelatine I have in the cupboard?

Thanks

The HBS said I wouldn't need whirlfloc if I wanted the standard cloudy appearance, but looking at the flecks of break floating around in the pot, I'm not so sure.

Will it settle out? Do I bolt up and get some whirlfloc? can I use the gelatine I have in the cupboard?
Whirlfloc are kettle fininigs to help remove the hot (and cold) break from your beer.
The 'cloudy appearance' from Coopers Pale is from those people who like to rouse the yeast before drinking and not at all related to break material.
(Nor would I suggest that the cloudy appearance is a characteristic of the beer but rather a characteristic of the un-educated-beer-wankers that think it is cool to rouse the beer simply because it was bottle conditioned).
You can brew without the Whirlfloc, it and it should still settle out (the finings just help with the process) but next time you are at the HBS tell the guy he is an idiot and buy some kettle finnings for next time.

Edit: Gelatin is used as a post-ferment fining to help the yeast settle out, it is not a substitute for Whirlfloc that should be used in the boil.

it will after 20 min or so, but whirfloc does help compact the break down, I imagine your HBS would be closed now anyway, I wouldnt use gelatine in the boil, if that was what you meant,

For those interested,Have been using the White labs oz ale yeast for a few batches and have found it to be awesome,spot on cpa.recultering from bottles gave me mixed results.no sugar required,starter of 2 litres at least (4l in two 2l steps if saved slurry old)and hits 1.006 (og 1.044) mashed at 64deg.nice and dry sesh ale,beating the tooheys drinking mates away with a stick.

For those interested,Have been using the White labs oz ale yeast for a few batches and have found it to be awesome,spot on cpa.recultering from bottles gave me mixed results.no sugar required,starter of 2 litres at least (4l in two 2l steps if saved slurry old)and hits 1.006 (og 1.044) mashed at 64deg.nice and dry sesh ale,beating the tooheys drinking mates away with a stick.

:super:
That white labs strain is great sama as you say it's a lot more consistant that the bottle strain.

Hi Captain,

I did a double batch and fermented half with US-05 and half with Coopers yeast. The difference was like chalk and cheese.

The Coopers yeast really makes this beer as it rounds out the flavours really well and if you get your temps right while fermenting you can get more or less banana and pear esters.
The US-05 is a really clean, crisp fermenting yeast so the resulting beer IMO had no real flavour (compared to a CPA) and tasted a bit like dirty grain on the front of my palate. Although, after a glass or two it wasn't that noticeable. I ended up keg hopping this with galaxy and cascade at 1g/L and am pretty pleased with how it now tastes.

The next time I do a batch of this, I'll be doing one half with Coopers yeast and the other US-05 and dry hopping with the hop of my choice at the time.

Give it a go, the worst that you'll end up with is beer!

HC

Hi guys,
i'm about to make this. as it only has a 60min hop addition, i decided it probably wasn't worth buying any POR, but after reading this post it seems that it may actually have more of a positive affect than i thought.

so i'm after the answer the the trivial question, what should i substute for POR.
Options:
Fuggles
Chinook
Simcoe
NZ Halerauer Aroma
B Saaz
Centennial
Citra
Amarillo
Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin

I thought i had some EKG, but can't find it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi guys,
i'm about to make this. as it only has a 60min hop addition, i decided it probably wasn't worth buying any POR, but after reading this post it seems that it may actually have more of a positive affect than i thought.

so i'm after the answer the the trivial question, what should i substute for POR.
Options:
Fuggles
Chinook
Simcoe
NZ Halerauer Aroma
B Saaz
Centennial
Citra
Amarillo
Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin

I thought i had some EKG, but can't find it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
This might help....
Simple google found it....
http://homebrewandbeer.com/hops.html
F

60 minute addition or not, the PoR is distinctive and lends a flavour to the brew.

Another hop will probably make a tasty beer and the coopers yeast will lend it a coopers quality but without PoR it will be different.

:super:
That white labs strain is great sama as you say it's a lot more consistant that the bottle strain.

I have been eyeing off a bottle of this at my local HBS but thought it wasn't the same. I will be buying a vial of it tomorrow. i love having coopers pale ale on tap but reculturing the yeast is annoying.

Great news!

A3K- I'd use fuggles. Of use the highest alpha one you have and give it an extra 15min boil. Personally i think the flavour of POR contributes a lot to this beer.

cheers guys,

i used the fuggles, but only had 40g, so i used the 43g of B Saaz.

I think i'll be happy with how this beer turns out, but i'm planning on making another batch of this in a few weeks, so will try the POR flowers next time.

cheers,
A3k

cooperswhiteboard.jpg

About to bottle this one, can't wait to try it - tastes great out of the fermenter.

FYI, for those who have asked - the fabled whiteboard image :eek:

a3k how did the fuggles cpa go? i am in the same boat, no por but lots of other hops in the freezer. was thinking maybe galena or magnum or sonnet.

maybe i should find a hbs that has white labs aussie ale an por flowers? but time is a factor

Latest posts

Back