Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to follow this recipe as a mini-biab. The mash temperature is (it is indicated by the sparge temp is it???) is 172.4F which makes it almost 78C. Isn't that a little high?

I was going to follow this recipe as a mini-biab. The mash temperature is (it is indicated by the sparge temp is it???) is 172.4F which makes it almost 78C. Isn't that a little high?

Why not just use the recipe and instructions which AndrewQLD has put up? At quick glance they are pretty much the same.

Mash temp is different to sparge temp. You would mash this at about 63-65 to convert the starches to sugars. Sparge is hotter to stop conversion and to get maximum efficiency when rinsing the grain of residual sugar.

Have you had a good read of the thread? There is probably some good discussion on BIAB methods for this brew (I haven't looked, just hazarding a guess).

JD

Why not just use the recipe and instructions which AndrewQLD has put up? At quick glance they are pretty much the same.

Mash temp is different to sparge temp. You would mash this at about 63-65 to convert the starches to sugars. Sparge is hotter to stop conversion and to get maximum efficiency when rinsing the grain of residual sugar.

Have you had a good read of the thread? There is probably some good discussion on BIAB methods for this brew (I haven't looked, just hazarding a guess).

JD

Coopers Pale Ale Clone
Australian Pale Ale
Brewer/Contributor: Andrew Clark

That is AndrewQld's recipe.

If you look lower, you will see the mash temp is 150.1F or 65 C.

Not necessary to sparge with BIAB, although some do.

78c is the mash out temp not the mash temp, feel free to drop the mash out if you BIAB, it's not required. That's a pretty old version of the recipe, have a look at the first page of this thread for some more updated info and recipes.

Cheers
Andrew

So I brewed up a 60L batch of the improved all grain recipe. Got busy so I ended up kegging on the 28th of Dec after a couple of weeks chilling :)

Anyway, just finished a couple of the kegs during a 3 day NYEE/NYE/NYD set of partie :) (daughters birthday is NYE)

I thought it was still a little green, but the difference between this and cooper's pale was less than the seasonal and pub to pub variation you get with coopers :)

A few other homebrewers at the parties were quite impressed :)

We went through a keg of DSGA each day too.

Thanks for great recipe AndrewQld!

Thanks Stux, glad you liked it.
I have twin boys whose birthday falls on NYE as well, makes for a big night indeed.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm currently waiting for this beer to be ready in the bottle - I bottled it last monday. I stuck to the recipe but added a small late addition of Galaxy. Throwing a party on Australia day so it will be perfect for that! Tasted great out of the FV.

Just wondering with regard to the POR, since it's added at 60 minutes would it be possible to add an English variety like EKG or Fuggle as a substitute without having a noticeable effect? Correct me if I'm wrong but from the main flavour of Cooper's Pale Ale comes from the yeast rather then POR doesn't it? Reason I'm asking is that I have a fair bit of fuggle and EKG but no POR so trying to use what I have before buying more if possible.

Cheers

Just make sure you keep to the recipe ibu and you will be fine.

I brewed this for the first time last weekend and did no chill so adjusted the hops to 40 min. I also user weyer pils instead of bb pale since it was what I had on hand. I'm not sure how different it will taste but it should still be a nice drop.

Just wondering with regard to the POR, since it's added at 60 minutes would it be possible to add an English variety like EKG or Fuggle as a substitute without having a noticeable effect? Correct me if I'm wrong but from the main flavour of Cooper's Pale Ale comes from the yeast rather then POR doesn't it? Reason I'm asking is that I have a fair bit of fuggle and EKG but no POR so trying to use what I have before buying more if possible.

Cheers
Theres's still a por charater in the above recipe and in commercial coopers. That said, ekg would still make a beer worth drinking.

Hey guys

Did a batch of this, tastes pretty good but there is absolutely no head - even though it appears to be carbonated fine, any troubleshooting tips?

You should get a reasonable head with this beer although it will drop away to a thin foam. Is yours bottled or kegged?

AndrewQLD said:
You should get a reasonable head with this beer although it will drop away to a thin foam. Is yours bottled or kegged?
It's bottled - I typically keg so i'm allowing a bit of leeway with what I would see as "head", I basically see nothing - no white colour ontop of the beer at all, it's also cloudier than I would expect, I might have to get out the hydrometer on a sample after i've degassed it and ensure it's finished bottle carbonating, it's been 3 weeks inside.

The recipe typically gives a white head that drops to a thin foam, lacing is always very good. I would be looking at the carbonation levels of the bottled beer.
Cloudiness is perfectly normal if you used the coopers yeast strain as it doesn't floc to well and can take an eternity to drop out.

Am about to brew this on Sunday. Just looking at the Aust Sparkling Ale guidelines, it does mention their should be high carbonation.
What sort of carbonation levels would you look for when bottling? ( I will keg but bottle a few for a comp) I am wondering if putting 3 carb drops in a PET tally would be overdoing it?

Cheers,

Droopy Brew said:
Am about to brew this on Sunday. Just looking at the Aust Sparkling Ale guidelines, it does mention their should be high carbonation.
What sort of carbonation levels would you look for when bottling? ( I will keg but bottle a few for a comp) I am wondering if putting 3 carb drops in a PET tally would be overdoing it?

Cheers,
I reckon 3 would be overcarbed mate bulk priming would be the way to go 2.5 - 3 volumes of co2 would be my guess you could allways try the carb drops only if bottling into PET but i reckon you would need to burp them

Latest posts

Back