RecipeDB - Chrismoose Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconnery

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score

Chrismoose Ale

Specialty - Belgian Pale Ale
Extract
* * * * - 2 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Subtype isn't right. This is a spiced/holiday ale.
juice & rind of 4 oranges. 2.5tsp nutmeg. 1.5 tsp cloves. 1tsp mixed spice. 6 cardamon pods crushed. 2 sticks + 1tsp cinnamon.
300g Macadamia Honey
Steeped grains. Honey @spices in separate pot @45. 10g Hersbrucker 20g Hallertau@45. 1kg DME @30. 2kg LME 25g Hersbrucker 20g Hallertau @15. Spices @ end.

I was worried the orange would dominate this as I hadn't originally planned to put in the juice as well. They don't but I would recommend only putting in half the juice personally.
This has been variously described as 'fig newton beer', 'pillow biscuit beer' and 'christmas pudding beer' so I think you get the picture as to what to expect aroma wise particularly.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.13 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.02 kg JWM Dark Munich
2 kg Generic LME - Light
1 kg Generic DME - Light

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
25 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 15mins)
20 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 45mins)
20 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 15mins)
10 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 45mins)

Yeast

15 g DCL Yeast T-58 - SafBrew Specialty Ale
21L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.54%
  • Colour 17 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

this is a great beer. (actually i thought I had already posted about this beer).

I still have a few of these still left after a year in the bottle. bloody sensational. it all comes together nicely. the flavours were a lot more pronounced early on which was great. they have now mellowed and made a complex tasting beer which is brilliant.

It drinks well after a 3-4months (lots of big flavours) and it drinks really well after 12 months.

done a quick alteration of the recipe for AG

Christmoose Ale

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 21.00 Wort Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.95
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.02
Anticipated SRM: 8.7
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
60.6 3.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
20.2 1.00 kg. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
6.1 0.30 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
5.1 0.25 kg. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
8.1 0.40 kg. Honey 1.042 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 6.00 16.3 45 min.
10.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 6.00 8.1 45 min.
25.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 6.00 6.1 15 min.
20.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 6.00 4.8 15 min.

Yeast
T-58 SafBrew Specialty Ale or equiv liquid yeast

Mash Schedule
L Water Per kg Grain: 2.54 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 70 Time: 5
Sparge Temp : 80 Time: 5
All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Notes
-----
juice & rind of 4 oranges. 2.5tsp nutmeg. 1.5 tsp cloves. 1tsp mixed spice. 6 cardamom pods crushed. ferment warm to get Belgian characterises
2 sticks + 1tsp cinnamon.
add spices and honey @ 5min

cm, you say ferment warm, what temp is best?? 22?

cm, you say ferment warm, what temp is best?? 22?
low 20's yeah. you want some of the belgiany yeast characteristics from this yeast (ow equivilent liquid yeast)

cool.. looking at doing an extract version...

suggestion on what I can use instead of Munich and CaraMunich ??
or is the Cara a spec malt?

the extract version uses dark munich and crystal. just use those.

The caramunich is a specialty malt.
I'm not sure what dark munich really is, it was just something I grabbed at the store at the time.
You could go for some crystal, or caramunich, I, II or III and/or some aromatic or melanoiden to get a little maltiness in there.

CM, that's looks like a good AG version, I'll have to look that up when I do this again...

Ben

well if dark munich is munich 2 then it requires mash. i think i might have used caramunichIII in the exract version

edit: maybe a tad of carraaroma. say 50g. hmmm special B substitute.

Heya,
Am looking at putting this together in time for Christmas and I've come up with a couple of questions :p

Is the idea basically to simmer everything else in a pot for 45mins while doing the hop boil, then strain into wort at flameout?

Is there a reason for the split between liquid and dry extract?

Is JWM Dark Munich a specialty malt? If not, is there a substitute?

Pretty excited about giving this one a burl :D

you could simmer it all in a differant pot if you like or just chuck it into the boil.
there shouldnt be a split between liquid and dry. it should be light malt (2kg) and dark malt extract (1kg). well at least my version was. Ben?
yes munich is a base malt and requires mashing. posts 6-9 above discuss the issue. use caramunich instead.

its a great beer

Heya,
Am looking at putting this together in time for Christmas and I've come up with a couple of questions :p

Is the idea basically to simmer everything else in a pot for 45mins while doing the hop boil, then strain into wort at flameout?

Is there a reason for the split between liquid and dry extract?

Is JWM Dark Munich a specialty malt? If not, is there a substitute?

Pretty excited about giving this one a burl :D
1. Yes. I based that on a recipe I read somewhere. Don't know how essential it is but it worked.
2. No. That's what I had. Use either really.
3. No. You'd need to mash it. Use any sort of nice malty specialty malt like caramunich. Maybe even some caraaroma or special B for a different taste.

F me. That was fast :p

Thanks for that! I had my suspicions about the Light/Dark thing.

Guess I'll go shopping now :D Thanks again.

I'm onto this one tonight... Hopefully should be at its peak next winter.. Only making a half batch though...

I bottled this on Tuesday.. Tasted some out of the fermented... Very Xmas puddingy... Cant wait for the flavours to round out...

I couldnt find the honey refered to in the receipe but did locate some Ginger Honey and thought it would go well with the other flavours... We shall see soon!!

i just used stock standrad honey from memory so dont let that worry you.

let us know what you think when you try it in a few months

oh and I commited the cardinal sin... drinking before the wort's in the fermenter!! So the hops additions were screwed up a little.. but I'm sure we will be fine!!

Yeah I got my Hallertau and Hersbrucker backwards in mine :p

I tried one of these the other day (after 3 weeks in the bottle) and it was very clove-y tasting, and I don't think I cold crashed long enough because it was quite cloudy. Quite nice though :D I'll give it another week or so before my next try.

dude it needs a couple of months. the cloves melt into the baqckground after a while but are big when young. cloudyness is most likely alittle yeast still in suspenion. give it time.

Latest posts

Back