RecipeDB - Chrismoose Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that T-58 yeast is a strange bugger!
Never used it before and spent the first 3 days looking into a fermenter full of clear wort thinking that it hasn't kicked off. Made up another packet into a starter wort for several hours and pitched it in. 3 days later still no obvious krausen or activity. Thinking that I might have to chuck the lot, do a quick gravity measure and it is down to 1008 (from 1040). Taste test detects no off flavours just a lot of clove and a hint of hops.
I'm so used to an active airlock and a big pile of foam on the wort that this brew had me worried.
Has anyone else had this experience with T-58 in this brew?

Wow that T-58 yeast is a strange bugger!
Never used it before and spent the first 3 days looking into a fermenter full of clear wort thinking that it hasn't kicked off. Made up another packet into a starter wort for several hours and pitched it in. 3 days later still no obvious krausen or activity. Thinking that I might have to chuck the lot, do a quick gravity measure and it is down to 1008 (from 1040). Taste test detects no off flavours just a lot of clove and a hint of hops.
I'm so used to an active airlock and a big pile of foam on the wort that this brew had me worried.
Has anyone else had this experience with T-58 in this brew?

Yep, depending upon fermentation temp.

Screwy

thanks for the replies guys. i dint get to brewing this weekend. hopefully next weekend for this one now. though i may need a heater pad first. tis getting cold.

I can't say I've ever had any issues with it but there's always a first time. Did u ramp up the Temp for the last couple days? Get lots of yeasty character goodness. A lot of that clove u taste will be the cloves u used as opposses to clove esters from fermentation.

1008 is low as. Strong fermentation u got. Get bottling then forget about it for a few months then report back what u think.

I've decided to put the AG version on my brewing schedule for august so it should be ready for next winter.

I've had this fermenting at 22 deg for 10 days and it's been stuck at 1018 for 3 days. OG was quite high (1063) but I don't trust my hydrometer so it probably wasn't really that high. I gave it a swirl this morning and increased the temp to 24 deg to see if that will fire up the yeasties again. Anyone else found high FG with this yeast (T-58)?

I had it sitting at 22 for the whole fermentation and will get to bottling in the next day or so.

I am still getting to know my AG setup and had a lowish starting gravity of 1040. My conversion efficency was a low on this one but thats no reason to tip it out :D . I will report back in a few months on the final result.

I can't say I've ever had any issues with it but there's always a first time. Did u ramp up the Temp for the last couple days? Get lots of yeasty character goodness. A lot of that clove u taste will be the cloves u used as opposses to clove esters from fermentation.

1008 is low as. Strong fermentation u got. Get bottling then forget about it for a few months then report back what u think.

I've decided to put the AG version on my brewing schedule for august so it should be ready for next winter.

I'm getting ready to bottle this one. What's the recommended level of carbonation?

I'm getting ready to bottle this one. What's the recommended level of carbonation?

I bulk primed with 150g dextrose. I'd probably drop it back a little from that now but from memory it wasn't overcarbed so that amount would probably work.

Well, I served this up at the Misses' Xmas in July party the other night. Only a few were willing to try it (mostly wine snobs), but those that did were impressed. I reckon it's tasting pretty good now (8 weeks in bottle) but will try to save some to try in a few months.
Thanks for sharing the recipe BC.

my version is tasting nice, if not a little out there...

its over 6 months old... Still quite in your face though!!

my version is tasting nice, if not a little out there...

its over 6 months old... Still quite in your face though!!
what is the 'out there' taste? the cloves can be overpowering if you used a lot. it may just need more mellowing time. 6months was about the time i started testing mine. i had mine in my cellar, so they were getting a bit of 'cool conditioning' which always helps.

Well, I served this up at the Misses' Xmas in July party the other night. Only a few were willing to try it (mostly wine snobs), but those that did were impressed. I reckon it's tasting pretty good now (8 weeks in bottle) but will try to save some to try in a few months.
Thanks for sharing the recipe BC.

No worries.
Really must get around to doing an AG version of one these years...

what is the 'out there' taste? the cloves can be overpowering if you used a lot. it may just need more mellowing time. 6months was about the time i started testing mine. i had mine in my cellar, so they were getting a bit of 'cool conditioning' which always helps.

They sure can. One older brewer who tasted this early on said it reminded him of going to the dentist...

One thing I found fascinating about the whole process was the way certain spices completely dominated at times. Early on it was a lot of clove. At one point later I could taste almost nothing but cinnammon. Then they all blended in nicely...

i still have all the ingredients for this one sitting in the cupboard. ive got to get it moving!

No worries.
Really must get around to doing an AG version of one these years...
ive got everything elcept hallertau. which ill be ordering at some stage in the next month or so. then it will condition for next winter. i was going to brew the AG version this weekend until i realised 10 of my 12 kegs are again full and ive got 2 batches fermenting. so no more room.

Im planning on making a split batch and doing half with a blend of t58/chimay yeast and the other batch with a differant yeast. maybe Wy Trappist or Wy Old Ale.

Nothing specific but just "out there" compared to more traditional beers...

Its nice, no worries about that...

Nothing specific but just "out there" compared to more traditional beers...

Its nice, no worries about that...
ahh i get you. it has flavour so people think its 'out there'. i got that even from homebrewers in regards to my chilli ginger beer.

bugger them. spice it up! i love the spice and beglian yeast profile in this beerl its actually qyite a good little 'spiced pale/amber aleish' type beer that can get people onto saisons etc.

ahh i get you. it has flavour so people think its 'out there'. i got that even from homebrewers in regards to my chilli ginger beer.
That Chilli Ginger thing you had going was a ripper!, not sure that I'd want to label it a beer, but it was awesome...

Latest posts

Back