RecipeDB - Chappo's Aussie Standard Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers ReKnut and 4Star.

OT: RevKnut I have printed out your blog and will read on the train home I have a recipe which was built for this technique.

I love the rice 4Star and you are right about the aroma. Now call me mad in the head but it also gives it a certain "freshness" of flavour and aroma I am not getting in the sugaz version. Hard to describe but you really need to have the 2 versions of the same recipe side by side to understand. But it is there.

Still slightly OT but, 4star, you mentioned youve got a kilo of corn, do you just boil this up and add to the mash as well?

May have to have a crack at this rice/adjunct thing at some stage :ph34r:

Still slightly OT but, 4star, you mentioned youve got a kilo of corn, do you just boil this up and add to the mash as well?

Pretty much, get down to your local asian grocer, they will usually have whole maize, kibbled (x2-3 size of polenta) and or polenta at really cheap prices. My one buys everything in bulk and repackages on site so things are really cheap. $2.5AUD for 1kg of polenta!

I follow the same process for all of my grain adjunct. boil it until its completly cooked thru, for rice i cook it until it starts to break down. I then top it off with cold strike water to strike protien rest temps if required or to strike sacch temp and dough it in with my grain. Then follow my standard sacc temp rest time if the mash is less than 30% adjunct.

All the same procedure. I also like subbing 1/2 1/2 rice corn for complexity. They balance each other nicely IMO.

Pretty much, get down to your local asian grocer, they will usually have whole maize, kibbled (x2-3 size of polenta) and or polenta at really cheap prices. My one buys everything in bulk and repackages on site so things are really cheap. $2.5AUD for 1kg of polenta!

I follow the same process for all of my grain adjunct. boil it until its completly cooked thru, for rice i cook it until it starts to break down. I then top it off with cold strike water to strike protien rest temps if required or to strike sacch temp and dough it in with my grain. Then follow my standard sacc temp rest time if the mash is less than 30% adjunct.

All the same procedure. I also like subbing 1/2 1/2 rice corn for complexity. They balance each other nicely IMO.

WTF is polenta :huh:

WTF is polenta :huh:

:eek: You uncultured so and so! :lol: Its basically corn that's been ground down to a few sizes above flour. its the west euro/south american equivilant that rice is to Asia. Awesome to use in brewing because the starches are easier to prepare (you dont need to cook the corn for 10 hours to prepare it!) Get your hands on instanst stuff if you can, otherwise soak it overnight to speed up the cooking process.

Polenta is a dish made from boiled cornmeal. Although the word is borrowed into English from Italian, the dish (under various names) is popular in Italian, Slovenian, Savoyard, Swiss, Austrian, Portuguese, Bosnian, Croatian,[1] Cuban, American, Hungarian,[2] Serbian,[3] Romanian,[4] Bulgarian, Georgian, Corsican, Argentine, Uruguayan, Brazilian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Haitian, Mexican and Turkish[5] cuisines, and it is a traditional staple food throughout much of Northern Italy.

:eek: You uncultured so and so! :lol:

Thats what you get when youre at the ass end of the world mate ;)

Ill keep an eye out for instant polenta at the supermarket, gotta admit tho it sounds pretty rank :p (to eat that is)

Ill keep an eye out for instant polenta at the supermarket, gotta admit tho it sounds pretty rank :p (to eat that is)

Its not that bad, its like eating/interchangeable with mash potatoes really.. done right its superb, done poorly and its like eating cardboard (like mash!)

Cook it up in water:polenta ratio of 4:1, add a generous nob of butter, a massive whack of freshly grated Parmesan, S+P to taste and slap a slow braised lamb shank on top.... :icon_drool2: Yep, i know what I'm having for dinner this weekend!

I used a kilo of Polenta to 4 kilos of Galaxy in my Kiwi Blonde which is just about up to drinkable in the bottles now (Green Bullet plus NZ Cascade).
The polenta is great, just cook it to a mush over about 20 minutes, thin it down in the stockpot and cool to your preferred mash temp then pour into bag-in-pot after you have doughed in the dry grain bill, and stir in well. I now add it after the grain bill because if you put it in first it can work its way into corners of the bag and hide there, but I think it got converted ok.

polenta.JPG

6.JPG

I always do a 90 min mash anyway so that takes care of it.

Back on topic, based on my taste testing so far I reckon maize would have a place in making Aussie style lagers as well, with a good whack of POR or Cluster or Nugget.

Ok I'm gunna crank another double one of this due to the constant whining from Father and Father In Law but I'm making a few tweaks for those interested.

8kg Pils Wey
0.8kg Rice (Jasmine)
45gr POR Flowers @ 60mins
45gr POR Flowers @ 0 mins
Wyeast 2124 - Bohemium Lager

Mash 50C Step 15mins - Protein Rest
Mash 63C Step 60mins - Sacch Rest
Mash 72C Step 10mins - Sacch Rest
Mash 78C Step mash out

Cheers

Chappo

Hey Chappo why jasmine rice, I thought just some sort of plain rice would be the go. Never used rice so i am very interested.

Hey Chappo why jasmine rice, I thought just some sort of plain rice would be the go. Never used rice so i am very interested.

BB the last brew was done on Jasmine rice as I forgot to go to the shop before brew day and had to raid the pantry on brew day, it was all that was there at the time. As it turned out a really good lager I've decided to do it again.

I originally made to versions of this one rice the other sugar. What I liked about the jasmine rice version that wasn't in the sugar version was a very, very subtle aroma/flavour of the jasmine rice just sitting in the back ground. Also a slickness to the palate that is hard to describe but easily recognised. This recipe is essentially a single malt single hop so there isn't much there to hide behind if you stuff it up.

IMO the rice really made this beer a stand out.

Cheers

Chappo

Oh Oh i forgot, here is the hydro sample of the CAP before pitching.. its soo light!n check out all the Cold Break, i'd say thats all protien from the Polenta.

Beers! :icon_cheers:

capsample.jpg

Oh Oh i forgot, here is the hydro sample of the CAP before pitching.. its soo light!n check out all the Cold Break, i'd say thats all protien from the Polenta.

Beers! :icon_cheers:

Looks great 4star! :wub: Holy sheet that light in colour you must be happy with it? What rice did you use?

I really have to get my finger out and have a crack at a CAP.

Chappo

Holy sheet that light in colour you must be happy with it? What rice did you use?

It was a 1kg bag of polenta. By the end of the mash and sparge, the polenta was almost undetectable "had disolved almost completely".

I cooked the polenta in 4X its weight in water = 4L. Got it to a boil then topped off with my mash in water (to protien rest temp. Held at this temp and dumped in with the grains and did a protien for 10 mins. then up to sacch temp for 70 mins from memory. The sparge stuck once which was rectified on the second batch.

Its about to be racked to the keg tonight. im interested to see how shes turned out!

Cheers!

finally kegged this last night. Inspired by Chappo....

Aussie Gold Digger Lager - Aussie style lager

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.85
Anticipated OG: 1.069
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 28.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
34.2 2.00 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
34.2 2.00 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
17.1 1.00 kg. Rice Solids (jasmine)1.040 0
5.1 0.30 kg. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
5.1 0.30 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.3 0.25 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 19.1 60 min.
10.00 g. Nugget Whole 9.80 3.4 15 min.
20.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 5.7 10 min.
10.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
fermentis 34/70 german lager

Mash Schedule
Protein Rest Temp : 50 Time: 30
Intermediate Rest Temp : 63 Time:70
Saccharification Rest Temp : 72 Time: 20
Mash-out Rest Temp : 78 Time: 0

Doubled the ingredients for a double batch
Final volume: 45L
OG 1051
FG 1009

tastes awsome. maybe a bit much POR for megaswill drinkers but very tasty. ultra clear with no filtering/finings.

Now the comp brewing is finished for the year I'll shortly be back on the Aussie Lager trail. What I have found - at my BIAB brew day a couple of months ago - is that 20g of Euro Saaz (not NZ) in the last 10 minutes of the boil gives a flavour and aroma hit quite reminiscent of Tooheys Pils before they stuffed the recipe, and also along the same lines as Cascade Premium Lager.

However I used California Steam lager yeast and I feel it came out a bit muddy for the style. Then I used Dried Swiss Lager yeast and it's come out with a sulphur twang, so next time I'll go back to the 34/70 ... *sigh* and give that one more go. I think my problem is that I have been underpitching lagers so I'll brew up a mighty starter next time and keep it going batch to batch.

ive hads no issues with 34/70 but then again the first gen was a big starter and then all big slurry pitches.

How freaky? I was just thinking of digging up this recipe as both my father and FIL have put in very strong demands for the Aussie Lager for xmas. Apparently they are both sick to death of ales and need a break. :rolleyes:

I'm going to knock out 2 doubles of this over the next 2 or 3 nights but probably do one on POR flowers and the other batch with my other favourite Aussie ATM Galaxy.

How's your lager turned out CM2? Happy? Too early to call? Love the malt profile in that recipe.

mmmmm Im interesting in seeing if our lager the jasmine comes through..... We did a double batch and used a Americian premium lager wyeast, and A Danish lager yeast. Unfortunatly the American is infected it is still bubbling after 3 weeks and not attenuating! Oh well list we got a good one out of it!

Latest posts

Back