RecipeDB - Chappo's Aussie Standard Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score

Chappo's Aussie Standard Lager

Lager - American Premium Lager
All Grain
* * * * - 10 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Simple lager recipe with single malt and single hop. 10 mins Protein rest @ 50C 60min mash @ 64C, 10 mins Mash out 77C. SafLager S-23 yeast ferment @ 10C for 7 then secondary for 7 and lager 3 weeks minimum. Used Pride of ringwood for bittering and aroma 60mins and flame out. Rice is simply pre-cooked the night before do not strain or rinse just plonk the whole lot in there. Also use jamine rice as a alternative for a lovely little aroma lift. This has turned out to be a great little Aussie Lager knock off. For something different yet very palatable sub Galaxy for POR.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
8 kg Weyermann Pilsner
2 kg Rice Solids

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
45 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 0mins)
45 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

22 g DCL Yeast S-23 - SafLager West European Lager

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
41L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.063 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.017 (calc)
  • Bitterness 23.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.98%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

I have so far used POR in two brews, one of them the 'stock wort' minicubes I use for partials and the other one in a Hunter Old style. Both times I just added them as bittering for the full boil. The hop in the old is brilliant, it's the only hop and no late additions of anything. The latest partial, based on a tin of Canadian Light really lets the POR shine and with both beers the original whiff from the glass and the first mouthful is like something you would buy over the bar (for better or for worse but at least it's bang on style for an Aussie). Look forward to a glass of it, if there's any left for the May club meeting.

hows this one tasting so far Chappo? Man thats alot of POR :super: . Lookin forward to trying this one.

Brad

hows this one tasting so far Chappo? Man thats alot of POR :super: . Lookin forward to trying this one.

Brad

10C Attenuated out at 1011 in 7 days. Beersmith told me 1012 so I am pretty happy with where it's at. I've racked to secondary vessel to sit another 7 days at 10C then kegging and CCing for 2-3 weeks. I have 3 fermenters going so I crossed fingers it's all good.

Now here's something funny the Rice version has only reached 1010 and really has lost alot of the rotten egg smell and IMO tastes better and some what cleaner?

The sugaz version is tasting good from the hydro that I sampled. But the rotten egg S02 pong is still unbelievable but is dying off now thank god. The ferment fridge smells like a f#rt factory rather that the sweet smelling Ales :wub:

I guess the proof will be in the end results but I reckon the rice version may will win the day. You can judge for yourself Brad in a couple of weeks.

Ok this little beauty is drinking well, actually much better than I even anticipated. I think all those that have tried it at the case swap have enjoyed. It's not a gold medal winner but certainly passable as an Aussie Lager. I would high recommend going with the rice version. Simply sub 500gr cane sugar with 1kg gelatinised (cooked) rice in the mash and mash as normal. Rice adds a smoothness, complexity and texture that really makes this beer. The sugaz version IMO passes as a megaswill which was my intention.

Will post a few pics tonight of in the glass.

Good to hear Chappo. The Rice version is on the To Brew List at home.

Cheers SJ

Chappo was that your 'rice' brew that you brought to BABBs the other night? If so it was nicely bitter and very clean and smooth.

:icon_offtopic: I'm putting rice in a lot of things nowadays, even put 500g in my Aussie Old I mashed yesterday.

Chappo was that your 'rice' brew that you brought to BABBs the other night? If so it was nicely bitter and very clean and smooth.

:icon_offtopic: I'm putting rice in a lot of things nowadays, even put 500g in my Aussie Old I mashed yesterday.

That's the one BribieG. Thank you for the kind words.

OT: BTW BribieG I am sold on rice as well and doing the same subbing rice for sucrose (except priming :lol: ).

Simply sub 500gr cane sugar with 1kg gelatinised (cooked) rice in the mash and mash as normal.

Hi Chappo,

I'm keen to give this one ago. It sounds like a good one to share with non homebrewing mates!

Do you add 1kg of cooked rice or do you boil 1kg of rice and add that?

Do you rinse the rice before adding or just add everything including the water and starches?

Cheers,
yoey

Dont hate on the sucrose before you try inverting it :beerbang: Ive done this over my last few brews and am enjoying the results.. A heap better than just adding the sugaz to the boil..

Hi Chappo,

I'm keen to give this one ago. It sounds like a good one to share with non homebrewing mates!

Do you add 1kg of cooked rice or do you boil 1kg of rice and add that?

Do you rinse the rice before adding or just add everything including the water and starches?

Cheers,
yoey

Yoey,

Boil 1 kg of rice but be spare with the water as you want to have the rice absorb the water to gelatinise the protein/starches etc. I used the reduction method in the mircowave but on the stove is fine. Should be a little or no residual water left and then throw the whole thing in. Just make sure before throwing it in it's either at room temp or at mash temp because it will throw your strike temp around otherwise ;) .

One big word of advice is a 20min protein rest will help. I got an early haze when I first CC'd it but the lager has since dropped as bright as bright can be with absolutely no chill haze.

You and your megaswill mates will love it! You mates will like it because it more of what they are used to and you'll like it because the late POR hop addition gives you something I know you'll like, taste and flavour.

Cheers and beers

Chappo :icon_cheers:

Dont hate on the sucrose before you try inverting it :beerbang: Ive done this over my last few brews and am enjoying the results.. A heap better than just adding the sugaz to the boil..

Yes your right I should try inverting sucrose before writing it completely off as a worth while adjunct RevKnut. :super:

Yes your right I should try inverting sucrose before writing it completely off as a worth while adjunct RevKnut. :super:

If you want to give it more ooomph and hardly notice the sugaz, try caramelising your 1st runnings and inverting the sucrose in that :icon_drool2: So goddamn tasty!

If you want to give it more ooomph and hardly notice the sugaz, try caramelising your 1st runnings and inverting the sucrose in that...

RevKnut please explain the process mate. Not completely on the same page as ya.

One big word of advice is a 20min protein rest will help. I got an early haze when I first CC'd it but the lager has since dropped as bright as bright can be with absolutely no chill haze.

Protein rest is a good option if you are exceeding 30% Adjunct. Otherwise i usually just precook my rice and extend the mash to 70 mins (@64-65deg) @ 68deg~ i stay with the 60 min rest. I'm doing a CAP on the weekend, ive got 1kg of corn ready. I might get down a Cream ale with rice too! Double adjunct brewday, Very tempting indeed.

Hey Chappo, i agree with rice 'adding' something other than just fermentables. i think people confuse the rice aroma you get with a grain husk/pils aroma. I always buy5kg+ bags of rice, the smell you get when opening it i can also attribute to my beers aroma. Especially if they have minimal late hop additions.

:chug:

Noiiiceeee!

RevKnut please explain the process mate. Not completely on the same page as ya.

Check out my blog here for a more detailed description...

But basically, you take your first however many litres of 1st runnings, lets say 5 for arguments sakes, add sucrose, boil this down to 1 litre with a pinch of citric acid to invert the sugar, add to the boil if you can manage to stop eating it all :icon_drool2: trust me, its that good, like wort toffee :icon_drool2:

If you want to give it more ooomph and hardly notice the sugaz, try caramelising your 1st runnings and inverting the sucrose in that.

I'm going that route when doing my Scottish i think. I don't think i will add sucrose though. Be aware the caramelisation can be dangerous to some beers as it can lend a 'buttery note' akin to diacetyl. Perfect for Scottish and Irish Reds though! :icon_cheers:

I'm going that route when doing my Scottish i think. I don't think i will add sucrose though. Be aware the caramelisation can be dangerous to some beers as it can lend a 'buttery note' akin to diacetyl. Perfect for Scottish and Irish Reds though! :icon_cheers:

Ive done it in a couple of pale ales recently and was happy with the results, cant say ive noticed a buttery note, allthough in one of my mates SMaSH beers he caramelised the 1st 5 litres down to 1, and when it warmed up (as it wasnt bitter or late hopped) it was completely dominated by a caramel flavour..

Its definately something im planning on doing in alot of beers from now on, ive started to find a place for sucrose in my brewery :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back