RecipeDB - Chappo's Aussie Standard Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just wondering how to do the protein rest when doing this recipe BIAB style? One would assume you lower the strike temp? But we all know what an assumption is don't we!

Right, just strike lower. If you're using beersmith you can just plug your desired mash temp in and it will spit out a strike temp to suit, or you can search for a strike temp calc on google.

Then after your protein rest is over, you can just add heat and keep stirring until you reach your next temp. Depending on your heating setup ofc.

I have just started using beersmith2. Wow I have so much to learn! An now my computer has decided it doesn't won't to work grrrrrrrr!
I tried the protein rest on one of my previous brews, see how that goes. Going to give this one a go as I have a heap of POR I need to use up, won't be buying it by the 1kg next time.

I am just wondering how to do the protein rest when doing this recipe BIAB style? One would assume you lower the strike temp? But we all know what an assumption is don't we!
Why would you do a protein rest?

EDIT: Aha, I note that Chappo did one - at the time Chappo and Sully would go bananas on protein rests for some strange reason (they both had HERMS and I think the reason they did a protein rest was to show that they could :p )
IMHO no need for protein rest at all with this malt and in fact with so much rice adjunct a protein rest could even give you head and foaming issues later.

Just do a single infusion. ;)

Boil your rice in a few litres of water(deducted from your strike volume), boil till its a mush....allow to cool to your mash temp then add into mash and mix, allow to mash normally from there.

What base malt are you using? The use of rice depends on the malt having enough excess diastase (alpha and beta amylase) to do the heavy lifting with the rice as Joe Hockey would say. Aussie base malts are extremely diastatic, German pils malts like Weyermann are pretty good as well, will convert up to 30% of the mash being rice or maize. UK malts such as Maris Otter can convert adjuncts, but not too much (maybe 10% of maize).

I've been around long enough to have met Chappo and tried his Aus Lager at a BABBs meeting. Very nice.

I'm keen to give this recipe a go tomorrow doing BIAB and no chill. I understand the rice addition and plan on doing a single infusion at 64* (would a 90min mash help with efficiency at all? I don't mind the extra wait).

In regards to the hop schedule and no chill however, I have only modified the timings once and that batch is still fermenting so I don't yet know how it will turn out. I am thinking of putting the 60min addition to 40min and the flameout into the cube (first cube hop for me). Does this sound reasonable?

Why don't you just lessen the bittering to get the same ibu? Forgotten the recipe but I'm presuming late hopping is minimal or absent?

LiquidGold said:
I'm keen to give this recipe a go tomorrow doing BIAB and no chill. I understand the rice addition and plan on doing a single infusion at 64* (would a 90min mash help with efficiency at all? I don't mind the extra wait).

In regards to the hop schedule and no chill however, I have only modified the timings once and that batch is still fermenting so I don't yet know how it will turn out. I am thinking of putting the 60min addition to 40min and the flameout into the cube (first cube hop for me). Does this sound reasonable?
IMHO no leave the 60 and drop the 0 by 30 - 50 % or do it as a dry hop (but only .5g a ltr with POR)

I wouldn't do POR as a dry hop in a lager. Might just work for a Coopers Sparkling clone,

manticle said:
Why don't you just lessen the bittering to get the same ibu? Forgotten the recipe but I'm presuming late hopping is minimal or absent?
It actually has .9g/L at both 60min and 0min. I hadn't really thought about lessening my amounts to drop the ibu, (for some reason I assumed dropping the time back was the norm) so I'm now playing around a bit in brewmate.

mxd said:
IMHO no leave the 60 and drop the 0 by 30 - 50 % or do it as a dry hop (but only .5g a ltr with POR)
From what I've been reading and noticing in brewmate is that the late additions are what add more bitterness when no-chilling so it would make sense to drop the flameout addition by 50% or so.

So I had a pretty good brewday overall, main downfall was forgetting to substract the rice cooking water from the strike water. Ended up boiling for 75 min to bring the volume down a bit more and finished up with a full cube plus a full 1.5L V8 bottle. In brewmate there is only rice hulls but no rice so I was wondering if anyone knew if medium grain rice has a potential extract so I could plug it in. My gravity readings were showing higher than brewmate estimates so I imagine there was something in the rice.

For the hops I still did 1g/L at 60 (which turned into 75) and then dropped the 0 addition to .5g/L.

Can't imagine there would be any downside from boiling whirlfloc and yeast nutrient for that extra 15 mins?

Cheers :beerbang:

After needing a reset of the tastebuds, I knocked out this one using the rice. I fermented with S189 yeast at 13 degrees and did the brulosophy lager (ramp) method. Went from 1050 to 1010 in just 6 days. I was sceptical at first as there was a fair sulphur pong, but after a week lagering at -1 and then a further two weeks in the keg, I have a brilliant (way too smooth) Aussie brew.

Just gotta remember to crank the carbonation up a bit on my usual ale carbonation and you can't go wrong. Cheers for the recipe!

Cheers,
Dylo

Latest posts

Back