RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm putting a cupboard cleaner sort of beer together for the next one and decided since the beer is already pretty much of no specific style and I keep thinking about this method I may as well do the testing myself on the no-chill thing so I can stop thinking about it. But...my next couple of beers are gonna be high grav clone attempts so I was thinking of adapting this method to something more targeted to the low end of APA so I've got a smaller beer on hand. How do you think this might work, Phillip (ignoring the no-chill aspect for a moment)? Or do you think it'll really only work with massively hopped beers? The trouble is that looking at my proposed recipe in Beersmith and it doesn't look all that far off what I'd do for a bigger APA only there's no 60min addition. What I mean is that I'm looking at a recipe that is OG1040/32IBU but only 60gm of hops, calculated at 15min but they'll be cube hops (various no-chillers seem to report that their results seem to be either 10 to 20 minutes out so I thought it best to aim for the middle ground). Doesn't look like that big of a whack of hops at all to me. Will I be wasting good hops?

I know that my OG is a little low for style but I'm comfortable with the bitterness ratio (and up to +/-4IBU swing).

I'll be doing basically that for an APA soonish mate. But mine will be between 1.045 and 1.050 with the hops around the 30-40 IBU mark. I don't think it would be too much of a difference, but I would prefer to do the higher gravity version (1.060). I feel that the higher gravity allows for stronger malt backbone to support a lot more hop bitterness, and in this beer, every IBU you can squeeze in means a heap more hop flavour and aroma.

Cheers
Phil

Thanks, Phillip. I'll give it a crack and see what happens.

I just did a 10 minute APA with 50g of PoR for 10 minutes (18L) for 35 IBUs. Chucked the BIABag in with a few clothes pegs to keep it both off the bottom of the pot and away from the element - worked a treat - completely free-flow, yet all the hop material was removed for the no-chill.

I see what you're saying but many report that extracted oils keep isomerising (is that even a word?) even when the hop matter is no longer present. Without much experience in no-chilling I'll still be at the mercy of received wisdom for a few brews yet until I work out what works for me. But I am happy to hear from you both that adapting this to APA isn't necessarily going to be under doing it.

Anyone know how many Pride of Ringwood I'd need (8.9%) to do a no-chill version of this?

I see what you're saying but many report that extracted oils keep isomerising (is that even a word?) even when the hop matter is no longer present. Without much experience in no-chilling I'll still be at the mercy of received wisdom for a few brews yet until I work out what works for me. But I am happy to hear from you both that adapting this to APA isn't necessarily going to be under doing it.

I'd be interested to read any info about how much of the alpha acids are in the wort but not isomerized after the hops are removed.

I'm only relying on my tongue and comparitive beers (that I know the IBU), but when I aim for 25IBUs I'm pretty sure I'm getting 25ish with no-chill using the calculated amount.

It might be a fluke that in containing the hops, and then no-chilling that I'm under-extracting, and over isomerizing - and the two cancel each other out...

Thanks Nick, I've seen that calculator before but I can never quite figure out what the figures are for NC. For instance, it calculates I would need 136 grams for a 23 litre batch at 1060. Would I add these as a cube addition once I have flamed and whirlpooled?

You'd be better to ask someone who leaves their hops in the wort when no-chilling. People say that the extracted alpha acids continue isomerizing after the hops have been removed, but I can't find any info on rates at which this occurs - and my experience leads me to believe that this has little effect on my beer's IBUs. See my above post about some speculation as to what might be going on. We need an expert to answer this conundrum - I'm just a beer maker.

Have you thought about removing your hops?

great inspiration the 10 min IPA,

had a go yesterday at a half batch

93% marris otter, 7% carahell, 1.060 mashed at 67

60 IBU columbus @ 10mins, fermenting now with US05

i'm keen to taste

i kegged this a few nights ago and force carbed it in my 9 litre keg and must say its not as hoppy as i thought it would be

the hop flavour is not that strong, and i am guessing that because i used such a high aa hop (14.2%) i had to use less hops to achieve 60IBU

i must say that the bitterness is very smooth, big but smooth

will try again with a another lesser aa% hop

I found the ones I did with pacific gem and chinook were both restrained in aroma compared to centennial and Amarillo. It must be the high alpha acids. I'm thinking I might move them to a 5 minute addition.

You'd be better to ask someone who leaves their hops in the wort when no-chilling. People say that the extracted alpha acids continue isomerizing after the hops have been removed, but I can't find any info on rates at which this occurs - and my experience leads me to believe that this has little effect on my beer's IBUs. See my above post about some speculation as to what might be going on. We need an expert to answer this conundrum - I'm just a beer maker.

Have you thought about removing your hops?

Sorry to sound a bit thick, but what do you mean by removing hops? As in add at flameout in a hop sock, then remove that before No Chill?

Also, I saw a diagram on a US homebrew site regarding NC. It showed a 10 minute regular addition would translate as "FWH" for NC. Anyone have any experience of "FWH"? Sorry to move ot.

I found the ones I did with pacific gem and chinook were both restrained in aroma compared to centennial and Amarillo. It must be the high alpha acids. I'm thinking I might move them to a 5 minute addition.

i'm having another punt at a 10 min ipa tonight, boiling now as i type

90% joe white traditional ale
10% caramunich III
1.060 mashed at 66
60 ibu challenger @ 10 mins
recultured coppers yeast

thats a lot of hops @ 5.6% aa !

i'm having another punt at a 10 min ipa tonight, boiling now as i type

90% joe white traditional ale
10% caramunich III
1.060 mashed at 66
60 ibu challenger @ 10 mins
recultured coppers yeast

thats a lot of hops @ 5.6% aa !

:icon_drool2: Challenger is devine, i do an all challenger IPA but it does have a 60 min addition.

Any thoughts on using US magnum in this recipe, discovered i have 350g of it in the freezer...... only ever used it for bittering.

Already thinking of the label with Tom Selleck :blink: :lol:

:icon_drool2: Challenger is devine, i do an all challenger IPA but it does have a 60 min addition.

Any thoughts on using US magnum in this recipe, discovered i have 350g of it in the freezer...... only ever used it for bittering.

Bitter is 44IBU's and call it Dirty Harry

I know what you're thinking. "Did he drink six pints or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. :lol:

Cheers SJ

Awesome idea :p

mouth watering stuff :kooi:

Has anyone done a partial with success or would it be too sweet?
Thinking as follows for 1060 OG
Pale Ale malt 47.5%
Medium Crystal 2.5%
LLME 42.5%
LDME 7.5%

10 min additions for 60IBU
Amarillo @ 67%
Simcoe @ 33%

I have a 57 IBU Galaxy 10min sitting in the ferm, the US-05 is calming the initial sweetness down and should be good for crash chilling in a few days. Just don't think I can have it ready for the next brew club meeting! :icon_cheers:

Ok, so I've read through this entire thread. I'm having some issues with Beersmith. I apologise in advance it I missed it or its on another thread somewhere. I'm having trouble entering the 10 min addition into Beersmith. I must add I haven't been using it for that long... If I enter a 10 min addition, it doesn't calc it as providing any bitterness... This is not allowing me to come up with a reasonable figure of hop amounts...??

I must add it will be No Chilled (have also workshopped adding hops straight to the cube as Bum has done)

Aiming for 60IBU's Simcoe 33% Amarillo 66%

Any help??

Cheers

Tyler

Ok, so I've read through this entire thread. I'm having some issues with Beersmith. I apologise in advance it I missed it or its on another thread somewhere. I'm having trouble entering the 10 min addition into Beersmith. I must add I haven't been using it for that long... If I enter a 10 min addition, it doesn't calc it as providing any bitterness... This is not allowing me to come up with a reasonable figure of hop amounts...??

I must add it will be No Chilled (have also workshopped adding hops straight to the cube as Bum has done)

Aiming for 60IBU's Simcoe 33% Amarillo 66%

Any help??

Cheers

Tyler

Hey tyler i have just done a no chilled 10 min APA. I use beertools, so can't help you with software. Im just about to keg mine ( its cold crashing ), but next time i do it, i'll try the hops calc'd at 1 min, as its a little bitter, not mouth puckering crazy bitter, just a bit too bitter, so i dont think im too far away. Smells great though!

P.S I might add, i used 50/50 columbus cascade, so possibly using 50% as a high alpha acid hop may be contributing to the high bitterness. next time i'll also do what you're planning, only 30% of columbus, and 70% Cascade.

In the name of research i went out and had a taste. Yep, still bitter, but like i said, not tip down the sink bitter. I think it'll smooth out once carbed and left for a week or two. Will definately try again, but will add hops later to account for No chill, and use 70% Cascade/30% Columbus. Gunna bottle a few as well, and leave for a few months ( If i can haha ).

Back