RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score

10 Min IPA

Ale - India Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 16 Votes

Brewer's Notes

95% Base malt (doesn't really matter what base, pilsner or ale as it will be heavily masked by the hops)
5% Carapils

Aim for a gravity of 1.060.

The idea is that you use only one addition to bitter and flavour, which is a 10 min addition. With this you have to use a very large amount of hops (depending on the AA% you could be using between 90 and 200 grams). So far I have done Amarillo, Chinook, Centennial and Pacific Gem.

A good way to work these recipes out in beersmith is to add 95kg base malt, 5kg of carapils. Then use the gravity button to scale it down to 1.060. Add a single 10 minute addition of whatever hops take your fancy. Then use the IBU button to set the IBU to 60.

Adding 200 grams of hops in the last 10 minutes of a beer is, well, breathtaking. The hops go in, then a a large green foam starts to rise and rise and the smell is amazing. No dry hopping required, you will get enough hop flavour and aroma.

This is an intense beer and not for the faint hearted.

Recipe was inspired from this website: http://www.homebrewchef.com/AmarilloPale.html

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.21 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.32 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
200 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

2000 ml Wyeast Labs 1272 - American Ale II

Misc

1 tablet Whirfloc
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.061 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.016 (calc)
  • Bitterness 66.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 5.85%
  • Colour 7 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Must add, I have done a few variations on this aswell.

The 10 min chinook IPA was done with 93/7 base/dark crystal and fermented with Denny's Fav. The 10 minute centennial IPA was fermented with 1187. But both the amarillo and pacific gem 10 minute IPAs were brewed with pacman.

All mashed at 67 BTW.

Please let us all know if you do venture into doing one of these beers. I want to do some with some more 'obscure' hops - like warrior, POR etc. Have also go NS and other NZ hops on the list to do. Hopefully can get this into some sort of challange for the adelaide boys - same grain bill, different 10 min hop - bottle em up and have a mini case swap.

Cheers
Phil

Must add, I have done a few variations on this aswell.

The 10 min chinook IPA was done with 93/7 base/dark crystal and fermented with Denny's Fav. The 10 minute centennial IPA was fermented with 1187. But both the amarillo and pacific gem 10 minute IPAs were brewed with pacman.

Please let us all know if you do venture into doing one of these beers. I want to do some with some more 'obscure' hops - like warrior, POR etc. Have also go NS and other NZ hops on the list to do. Hopefully can get this into some sort of challange for the adelaide boys - same grain bill, different 10 min hop - bottle em up and have a mini case swap.

Cheers
Phil

Looks the good Phil. What's the vote on your favourite yeast for it?

I've got a few hundred g of Nelson here ready to throw in something.

I've tried something similar for an APA Phil. I added hops at 20 mins, using Amarillo, Simcoe and Colombus. Very tasty beer from memory. Also dry hopped. :chug:

Your posts in the past on this subject have made me very interested to do one of these. I was wondering if you've done one with slightly more complicated grain bill and a blend of hops? Thinking that maybe simplicity is an important factor in this method but tend to like my beers a little busier so I'm not sure if it'll work for me.

Also wondering if no-chilling might complicate getting the balance right here.

Looks the good Phil. What's the vote on your favourite yeast for it?

I've got a few hundred g of Nelson here ready to throw in something.

My preference is for the pacman. But all three yeasts I have used produce very nice IPAs. The 1187 is nice because it is low attenuating and floccs well. Denny's fav would probably be my least fav from the 3, but was still very good. Any american ale strain would go well here really - 1056, 1272, 1332. US-05 and nottingham would also be fine. I would even be keen to give 1099 a go.

Cheers
Phil

Your posts in the past on this subject have made me very interested to do one of these. I was wondering if you've done one with slightly more complicated grain bill and a blend of hops? Thinking that maybe simplicity is an important factor in this method but tend to like my beers a little busier so I'm not sure if it'll work for me.

Also wondering if no-chilling might complicate getting the balance right here.

Well, I was thinking of doing a grain bill of 70/30 Ale/Munich with a 10 minute addition of simcoe, amarillo and centennial all combined. Inspired by the 200 metre ale - which is about 1.064 and 90 IBU. Still have it on the cards. I like the simplicity of the beer and how well it tastes as is - but as a homebrewer I will definitly be making some other styles (i.e. more complex) in the same notion.

I wanted to do this beer a long time ago, but as I no chilled, I didn't dare. I felt from my experience with no chilling, that it wouldn't get the desired effect. I have tried just cube hopping - no hops in the boil whatsoever - but that didn't work out as planned. So I waited until I could use a chiller and haven't looked back since. More than welcome to give it a go with no chilling - but I don't have much hope of it turning out as planned.

Cheers
Phil

I've been lucky enough to try a couple of these. A lot smoother than I was expecting but with a great hop punch. I will be adding one in this style to my 'to do list'.

Hopefully can get this into some sort of challange for the adelaide boys - same grain bill, different 10 min hop - bottle em up and have a mini case swap.

Cheers
Phil

+1 to this idea, I'm keeeeen!!!

I've heard POR can be alright fresh? Would be interesting!! Im thinking maybe Riwaka for mine, or Simcoe

Well, I was thinking of doing a grain bill of 70/30 Ale/Munich with a 10 minute addition of simcoe, amarillo and centennial all combined. Inspired by the 200 metre ale - which is about 1.064 and 90 IBU. Still have it on the cards. I like the simplicity of the beer and how well it tastes as is - but as a homebrewer I will definitly be making some other styles (i.e. more complex) in the same notion.

I wanted to do this beer a long time ago, but as I no chilled, I didn't dare. I felt from my experience with no chilling, that it wouldn't get the desired effect. I have tried just cube hopping - no hops in the boil whatsoever - but that didn't work out as planned. So I waited until I could use a chiller and haven't looked back since. More than welcome to give it a go with no chilling - but I don't have much hope of it turning out as planned.

Cheers
Phil

So, if I was to have a go at this with any hop, but no chill, would you or any others out there have any suggestions. New to full volume grain brewing and have just been working on the no-chill path. Would I be right in saying that this may come out a little too bitter if no - chilled??? BTW, I love the idea of the 70/30 ale/munich 200m ale. Awesome beer (pricey :( )

Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo 10 min addition of what quantity... Still 200g??

Thanks guys

Tyler

What are great idea!
I've always wanted to do something similiar to this, now i've been inspired!
Got 450g of Topaz that's been begging for a big hop bomb.

So, if I was to have a go at this with any hop, but no chill, would you or any others out there have any suggestions. New to full volume grain brewing and have just been working on the no-chill path. Would I be right in saying that this may come out a little too bitter if no - chilled??? BTW, I love the idea of the 70/30 ale/munich 200m ale. Awesome beer (pricey :( )

Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo 10 min addition of what quantity... Still 200g??

Thanks guys

Tyler

Centennial and Simcoe are higher AA than Amarillo so you wold have to put them into your software as 33.3% each or whatever and calculate for 60IBU. Im not sure what sort of modification you need to make to account for no chill, curious about that myself!

This sounds a cracka idea,I will try nelson and bsaaz 2 90gram packs go I wont be far of the mark for ibu,
sav

Got me thing 320 of carapils isnt going to do anything much, or is that the recipe you got for the idea,might sub for amber or somthing else.cheers

sav

Thanks guys

Tyler

I think that if you went the no chill path, the bitterness that is carried on would be too great. If you don't have the option of chilling, maybe you could find smaller vessels, i.e. 4 x 5 litre cubes and then submerge them in iced water or a bath full of cold water. The last thing you want to do is have to throw it out because it is too bitter - 200 grams of hops is not exactly economical.

If you have beersmith, put equal quantities of each hop (I just do the 28.3 grams or whatever it defaults to) and them use the ibu button to scale the hops to whatever ibu you want. That will take care of it for you. If you want say 1/2 hop a and 1/4 of hop b and c then just put in 50 grams hop a and 25 grams of hop b and c, scale and that will keep it in the same ratio.

If you don't know what hop to use first, Amarillo is a good start. Otherwise just go your favourite American hop.

And for the POR ipa, I am keen on doing one. Pacific jade should be nice as well, I wouldn't limit ourselves to doing only one beer each for the 'challange'. I will be doing two, POR and something else. Could even do three...would be better IMO to swap the beers in bottles, as even though it would be more enjoyable to meet up with a keg...I reckon after trying one 10 min ipa your mouth would shot.

I've said this to a few brewers already, the beers that I first made were my best yet my worst. Even though my beers were not very good at all because I was only just starting out, the new sensation of smelling hops and tasting hops in beer was so good, that now, even though my beers are much better made, I am just so used to hop aroma and flavour I need to always step it up a notch to get that same feeling I got from my first beers. This 10 minute IPAs really give me that - and I just don't know what to do next to exceed my expectations.

Cheers
Phil

Got me thing 320 of carapils isnt going to do anything much, or is that the recipe you got for the idea,might sub for amber or somthing else.cheers

sav

320 grams in this recipe is 5%. Go more if you want, but it works alright for me.

gallery_8284_671_125285.jpg

Amarillo version

gallery_8284_671_11206.jpg

Chinook version

Latest posts

Back