RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how this'd turn out with a low alpha noble hop... like saaz or hallertauer or :ph34r: strisselspalt I think you'd need about 1kg at 2% :lol:

I think I just found a way to use up a heap of my :ph34r: Chinoise Saaz :beerbang:

I have only stuck to higher AA% hops sofar. If I were to use something like EKG or saaz I'd limit it to maybe 200 grams at 10 mins and use a clean bittering hop at 60. My only fear is over doing the hops and having something rather grassy and over done.

I think I just found a way to use up a heap of my :ph34r: Chinoise Saaz :beerbang:

I've found the chinese saaz to add a hint of fruit to a beer if used in concentrations late in the boil. Quite nice. Marco Polo would be better IMHO.

You could try 10 min bin additions :lol:

I loled.

Thanks for answering my questions earlier. Since I'm a no-chill noob I'll wait to see if a more learned brewer has any success with this method and no-chill first.

Love the sound of this recipe. +1 on the POR! The colour difference between the amarillo & chinook versions are incredible! Did you say they both used the 95% pils 5% carapils grain bill?

As a no-chiller, I am thinking of following the advice of others on this forum to emulate a 10 min addition with cube hopping. I'd add irish moss to the boil as usual, whirlpool and wait up to 30 mins by which stage the wort should have dropped to around 80C. (At least it does on cold winter days with my 10-15L batch sizes...) I'd transfer this wort over to the cube and dump all the hops in there at once.

I would certainly want to get contents of this cube into the fermenter quick smart though, as that's a lot of hops which could skunk/grass up the beer.

Did you say they both used the 95% pils 5% carapils grain bill?

Amarillo one is the 95/5 pils/carapils grain bill, but the chinook one is 93/7 pils/dark crystal. Was scared that the chinook would be a bit too much for this beer so thought maybe something darker would help it out. It tasted nice, but lacked the aroma I was after - maybe I just can't smell it anymore because I am used to the stuff now...

What is the advantage of this over a more traditional IPA? Is it just the experiment novelty factor or is there something else im missing here...?

Love the sound of this recipe. +1 on the POR! The colour difference between the amarillo & chinook versions are incredible! Did you say they both used the 95% pils 5% carapils grain bill?

As a no-chiller, I am thinking of following the advice of others on this forum to emulate a 10 min addition with cube hopping. I'd add irish moss to the boil as usual, whirlpool and wait up to 30 mins by which stage the wort should have dropped to around 80C. (At least it does on cold winter days with my 10-15L batch sizes...) I'd transfer this wort over to the cube and dump all the hops in there at once.

I would certainly want to get contents of this cube into the fermenter quick smart though, as that's a lot of hops which could skunk/grass up the beer.
Id like to give this a go too. Try no chilling, adding irish moss at 10 mins, flameout. Add the hops and whirlpool. People on here have suggested a 0 min addition is equal to 15-20 mins, so maybe calculate in beersmith what that would equate to, add a little less hops. When I whirlpool in the kettle, I can generally leave the majority of the hops in the bottom of the kettle. I don't know how much aroma would be present, at 15-20 mins it would be more flavour, but I'd give that a try, then maybe conisder a bit of either cube hopping or french press for the second attempt.

I'm keen to give the amarillo version a go, but I like a bit of crystal in my IPA. Do you reckon add like 1-2% crystal, or would that kill it?

As you know, hops added later in the boil give flavour and aroma. The bigger the addition, the bigger the aroma. The 10 minute addition of hops (that also acts as bittering) is the biggest hop addition that you can do at 10 minutes and still keep the BU:GU balanced. The hops and malt aroma are however not in balance. So the benefit would be the insanely intense hop aroma and flavour.

My first homebrews were fantastic, fantastic because I hadn't ever had beers with generous hop aroma. Now, I find the same beers just don't do it for me anymore - so that is why I ventured into this territory.

Id like to give this a go too. Try no chilling, adding irish moss at 10 mins, flameout. Add the hops and whirlpool. People on here have suggested a 0 min addition is equal to 15-20 mins, so maybe calculate in beersmith what that would equate to, add a little less hops. When I whirlpool in the kettle, I can generally leave the majority of the hops in the bottom of the kettle. I don't know how much aroma would be present, at 15-20 mins it would be more flavour, but I'd give that a try, then maybe conisder a bit of either cube hopping or french press for the second attempt.

I'm keen to give the amarillo version a go, but I like a bit of crystal in my IPA. Do you reckon add like 1-2% crystal, or would that kill it?

Well, the carapils is a crystal malt - and it's there at 5%. If you really want to, just sub the carapils for the crystal malt of your choice.

Cheers
Phil

Well, the carapils is a crystal malt - and it's there at 5%. If you really want to, just sub the carapils for the crystal malt of your choice.

Cheers
Phil

It's very light, though. I have some bairds med crystal that I'm loving more every time I use it... I might give that a go. I just don't want to overdo it.

Well, I was thinking of doing a grain bill of 70/30 Ale/Munich with a 10 minute addition of simcoe, amarillo and centennial all combined. Inspired by the 200 metre ale - which is about 1.064 and 90 IBU. Still have it on the cards. I like the simplicity of the beer and how well it tastes as is - but as a homebrewer I will definitly be making some other styles (i.e. more complex) in the same notion.

I wanted to do this beer a long time ago, but as I no chilled, I didn't dare. I felt from my experience with no chilling, that it wouldn't get the desired effect. I have tried just cube hopping - no hops in the boil whatsoever - but that didn't work out as planned. So I waited until I could use a chiller and haven't looked back since. More than welcome to give it a go with no chilling - but I don't have much hope of it turning out as planned.

Cheers
Phil

Did this kinda thing recently with a Galaxy APA in kegs at the moment like drinking fruit salad so much hop presence loving it

Added 5g to boil just to encourage some hot break rest went into cube (which I consider 15min addition). Then a decent whack of dry hops a few days out. Works beautifully for no chill IMHO just need to press a bit for some aroma big hassle

Will be using this as my stock standard hop forward recipe formulation from now on extremely happy with it and will be doing more soon going through the single hop varieties As I do doubles probably do 2 varieties at once probably Chinook and Amarillo next for me... and bump it up to an IPA. 1060 at least.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Galaxy APA
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 42.40 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 kg Galaxy, BB (1.9 SRM) Grain 78.95 %
0.45 kg Munich Malt (7.6 SRM) Grain 4.74 %
0.45 kg Wheat Malt, BB (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.74 %
0.30 kg Caraaroma (203.0 SRM) Grain 3.16 %
0.30 kg Caramalt, BB (21.5 SRM) Grain 3.16 %
5.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (80 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
40.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (Cube Hop) Hops 24.4 IBU
25.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Polyclar (Secondary 1.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 40.00 L of water at 69.7 C 66.0 C

Notes:
------
No chill adjustment - 15 min Hop additions are at Flameout
5min addition is French Press and added to fermenter when pitching

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really love the idea of a simple recipe with 1-2 types of grain and a single hop addition or variety can result in an awesome beer. I'll be tryin an IPA with amarillo at flameout, and french press some for extra aroma as per argons post and no-chilling if I haven't sorted out my chiller by then.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I've gotta go to bunnings and get a few fittings, and a couple of lengths of hose, as my current one won't reach my brewing space. Otherwise, it should work perfectly with what I have.

I really love the idea of a simple recipe with 1-2 types of grain and a single hop addition or variety can result in an awesome beer. I'll be tryin an IPA with amarillo at flameout, and french press some for extra aroma as per argons post and no-chilling if I haven't sorted out my chiller by then.

I had been wanting to do these sort of beers for over a year and a half - but as I no chilled and waited until I had a chiller. You could maybe do a whole batch without hops - no chill the lot. Chill the cube down to as low as you can. You could do a mini boil of 5 litres and do the 10 min addition in that and add that to the main batch - fingers crossed it ends up just over pitching temp.

I had been wanting to do these sort of beers for over a year and a half - but as I no chilled and waited until I had a chiller. You could maybe do a whole batch without hops - no chill the lot. Chill the cube down to as low as you can. You could do a mini boil of 5 litres and do the 10 min addition in that and add that to the main batch - fingers crossed it ends up just over pitching temp.

Wouldn't that affect hop utilization due to the volume being boiled?

Back