RecipeDB - 10 Min IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Simcoe one with 180g, also a bit of chocwheat in the mash...
Great result :beerbang:

i'm having another punt at a 10 min ipa tonight, boiling now as i type

90% joe white traditional ale
10% caramunich III
1.060 mashed at 66
60 ibu challenger @ 10 mins
recultured coppers yeast

thats a lot of hops @ 5.6% aa !

this came out too earthy, firstly i think the yeast has restrained the hop aroma, and its too much caramunich iii

less of a lighter crystal and a yeast to favour the hops more is on the agenda

this came out too earthy, firstly i think the yeast has restrained the hop aroma, and its too much caramunich iii

less of a lighter crystal and a yeast to favour the hops more is on the agenda

I found that a 7% crystal addition was too much. I think in the future I would only do a 5% addition - so not subtract anything from the aroma/flavour of the hops....remember, this hasn't got much to do with malt....this is a hop driven beer!

Maschenbrau brewed up a galaxy version of this - and he no chills. Turned out fine, had all the characteristics of a 10 min IPA - big hop aroma and flavour. So, if you are umming and erring about whether to do it or not, the results should turn out fine!

Cheers
Phil

Maschenbrau brewed up a galaxy version of this - and he no chills. Turned out fine, had all the characteristics of a 10 min IPA - big hop aroma and flavour. So, if you are umming and erring about whether to do it or not, the results should turn out fine!

Cheers
Phil

If only there was a thread where someone had tried a 10 min APA no chill ..........

Decided to return to land of the chillers so I have ordered myself a chiller (chillout 30 plate) after reassuarances from Phil that it will have no issues with 100g/L hopping ratio's :unsure: (not sure if it is tested yet but soon will be) with regards to clogging and drainage issues.

So for the inaugural brew through the chiller I thought a 10 min IPA would be appropriate. I have some Bravo to get rid of (340g) before a new batch of hops comes in and want to use it up so will go for a double IPA version. Would prefer TF maris but only have Wey pilsner on hand at the moment until next BB comes in, so...

OG 1.081
95% Wey pilsner
5% Wey Carapils

340g Bravo 11.3% @ 10 min (140ish IBU's?)

Mash at 64 degC

...is the plan.

Put down my 1st 10min IPA in October using our local NZ Hallertau hops 200grms and then dry hopped another 30grms in secondary, WOW what a brew! smooth hoppy flavour and kick ass aroma, Great recipe throughly recommend

Just mashing in now 95% JW Trad, 5% Crystal, BIAB. To that will be added 200g of Amarillo @ 10 mins. Can't wait. :beerbang:

400g of homegrown chinook flowers in a 40L batch of this tomorrow.

Wasn't sure about using so many of my homegrown hops in a single addition but wandered down to the hop plantation and decided this may need to become a house regular if i am to keep up with the plants. :lol:

Brewed the above 10 min IPA of home grown chinook hops with Smurto and Boston today. 4 100 gram sachets of b saaz like home grown chinook hips added into the boil in the last 10 mins is a sight to see. Boston was taking some happy snaps that he will hopefully post up in this thread.

Were expecting an efficiency drop from 70% to 66% but ended up with 73%. When using so much flowers in the kettle we were expecting to lose quite a bit to them, however, bostons mastun that we used as the kettle allowed us to squeeze every drop of wort we could...only had roughly 2 litres lost to deadspace. A very successful brew day.

We also partook in some rather tasty beers as well...Victoria golden ale and the 60% rye roggenbier...not to mention the commercial beers we shared. All went down very nicely with the sour dough bread, coriander hummus and Rosemary whitebean and artichoke dips.

What a day!

Brewed the above 10 min IPA of home grown chinook hops with Smurto and Boston today. 4 100 gram sachets of b saaz like home grown chinook hips added into the boil in the last 10 mins is a sight to see. Boston was taking some happy snaps that he will hopefully post up in this thread.

Were expecting an efficiency drop from 70% to 66% but ended up with 73%. When using so much flowers in the kettle we were expecting to lose quite a bit to them, however, bostons mastun that we used as the kettle allowed us to squeeze every drop of wort we could...only had roughly 2 litres lost to deadspace. A very successful brew day.

We also partook in some rather tasty beers as well...Victoria golden ale and the 60% rye roggenbier...not to mention the commercial beers we shared. All went down very nicely with the sour dough bread, coriander hummus and Rosemary whitebean and artichoke dips.

What a day!

Sounds like it went well. Hopefully Boston posts up the piccys of the day. Smurtos Victoria Golden Ale was amazing when we sampled it the other day out of the fermenter, only could imagine what its going to be like carbonated and aged :icon_drool2:

Nice work. Might have to man up and brew one of these!

Tyler

Just mashing in now 95% JW Trad, 5% Crystal, BIAB. To that will be added 200g of Amarillo @ 10 mins. Can't wait. :beerbang:

Almost got lost forgetting to calculate all that extra trub loss from 200g of hops. Used a hopsock (actually a grain bag which needed to be that big to allow for the volume due swelling) and gave it a good squeeze at boil end to lessen the loss.

Worked well, just hope it doesn't alter the IBU's that much. :beerbang:

Almost got lost forgetting to calculate all that extra trub loss from 200g of hops. Used a hopsock (actually a grain bag which needed to be that big to allow for the volume due swelling) and gave it a good squeeze at boil end to lessen the loss.

Worked well, just hope it doesn't alter the IBU's that much. :beerbang:

Nice one, let us know how it turns out (plus pictures)!

Cheers
Phil

I put mine straight in the boil (215g, half flowers, half pellets) and I now wish I'd used a hopsock (I've got one too!). I spent the length of the draining-to-the-fermenter time scraping the sides of the hopscreen. I wish I'd taken a picture - wait - I haven't emptied it yet, so I'll take a photo of the trub.

Mmmm... yellow/green wort.

My losses to trub seemed to be at least a few litres. D'Oh. Lesson learned.

Some photos from the Mt Torrens Chinook 10min IPA.
iPhone_354.jpg
Hops added

iPhone_355.jpg
Mixing hops in

iPhone_360.jpg
Drained Kettle

iPhone_364.jpg
9cm of hop flowers left behind

iPhone_366.jpg
Empty Kettle (my mash tun false bottom)

iPhone_357.jpg
Some of the refreshments

I also have a bit of video that Phil and I will try to get on YouTube a bit later.

:icon_offtopic: No pics of Phil/Smurto with their head dunked into the chilled kettle!? For shame. :p

Looks tasty as lads. Well played.

would be great to have that volume of flowers off the bine ready to roll. Would be keen to try that.

Back